Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2012, 05:23 AM   #16
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Somebody is going to be disappointed! Hadn't spotted my ambiguity but uncoonscious humour is often the best. Just a simple country boy, I guess. But give the new group some time and then check it out. You never know what might turn up!

11-27-2012, 05:36 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
You never know what might turn up!
LOL. This could get interesting. I'll be sure to check the group regularly.
11-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The wild feral pigs, we call Russian Boars, can get rather large! If their numbers get too high they can, and do, damage the range land significantly so we limit their numbers. They compete with many wildlife species at almost every food level. At one time we removed over hundred feral pigs from the ranch and they are just starting to come back in significant numbers. I've had pigs confront and charge me when they felt cornered or if they're simply having a bad day! I've seen the pigs slam into the fence we have around our house attempting to get at our pet dogs! The have a longer snout, longer legs and long hair.....overall they are much different from a domestic wild pig!

Here's a night photo of a feral pig and you can see the tucks (really teeth).

Last edited by WillH; 01-12-2013 at 04:47 PM.
11-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Thanks for starting this thread Will - you all have me thinking now. I'm also taking a look at the Bushnell Trail Cams now - maybe I can allot some funds after Christmas for one.

I have tons of wildlife up here in the mountains, and spend countless hours and days trying to capture them. The wildlife here is truly "wild" in that I have to be very lucky to get close enough to anything to get a decent shot. For the fun of it, I thought placing a trail cam in some different locations would be pretty neat. I know I have Elk, Bear, and of course deer and lots of the small critters around on a daily basis as I see sign every time I talk a walk.

This thread is great - I don't understand about forming a group.....this thread can keep going as it is just like the Fuji camera thread etc.

11-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's fun Stan, just more photography! I didn't think the picture quality would be worth a hoot because it's a rather cheap camera, but it does okay. I have hundreds of photos now and even a little video. I'm not too keen on the video as it eats up space on the chip rather fast - still pictures are fine by me. I didn't spend much money on the camera, but one can spend several hundred dollars on a camera. I didn't want to hang that much money on a tree for someone to steal. I know Bushnell doesn't make the digital cameras for these units and they could be made by Fuji, Pentax, Canon, or any other camera outfit! I caught a poacher with the camera but can't display the pictures until the case is settled, it's an excellent set of pictures, all time stamped and dated! Strange how I caught one poacher and ALL the human activity stop, instantly! People talk!

Here's a shot of a wild pig the really shows how their structure differs from a domestic.

11-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There is now a "remote camera'," group. It's under the groups section. Please join or visit! Posted 11/30/2012.
12-01-2012, 01:56 AM   #22
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The group is called "Remote Cameras". Under the group we can have multiple threads, depending on what people find interesting. Also it provides a space for people to ask questions about using them - set up considerations, problems, etc.

01-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Looks like the groups is kaput!

Here's some remote shots take recently!

Last edited by WillH; 01-12-2013 at 04:30 PM.
01-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Glad to see your remote photos here Will - I never understood the reason for a "group" anyway as this thread is here and in the right category.

I'm still tempted to get one of these cameras, but not sure if I will capture anything worthwhile beside the resident nocturnal dwellers such as skunks and opossums.
01-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #25
Banned

Photos: Albums
My two properties have a number of security and remote cameras. One would be quite surprised at the images that get captured every once in a while. Some are quite frankly not able to be posted publicly on most forums without being "banned".
01-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Glad to see your remote photos here Will - I never understood the reason for a "group" anyway as this thread is here and in the right category.

I'm still tempted to get one of these cameras, but not sure if I will capture anything worthwhile beside the resident nocturnal dwellers such as skunks and opossums.
I went along with the group deal.....just cuz! I'll just post here from now on! Stan, I wouldn't worry about capturing any wild life, big or small. I've got hundreds of raccoon's, squirrels, rabbit and birds! They're all fun to look at! Some people think it a competition to photograph the biggest buck or most wild cats.....wherever! I don't see it that way!

The cowboy is Wes. Wes is my right arm now that I'm barely mobile! Those dogs do most of the work! No ATV's or motor bikes around here. We're still traditional and it's actually more dependable and economical......plus, it doesn't stress the cattle. A rider can mingle among the cattle nice and easy!

Last edited by WillH; 01-10-2013 at 07:22 PM.
01-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #27
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

This is a neat thread, I hope you guys keep it up and add to it. Some pretty neat shots, and interesting too! Very enjoyable!

Regards!
01-20-2013, 05:07 PM   #28
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dingo pics

Got these two dingoes on camera at 6.00 am today. The one on the right is a male. The other is a well-grown pup. They are on a neighbour's place where dingoes have killed 82 sheep since September.

01-20-2013, 05:24 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Got these two dingoes on camera at 6.00 am today. The one on the right is a male. The other is a well-grown pup. They are on a neighbour's place where dingoes have killed 82 sheep since September.
While it is a neat sight to see these Dingoes since they are exotic to me, it's a shame your neighbor lost all those sheep - that's a huge loss! Are you allowed to openly hunt them on farm land?
01-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #30
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
While it is a neat sight to see these Dingoes since they are exotic to me, it's a shame your neighbor lost all those sheep - that's a huge loss! Are you allowed to openly hunt them on farm land?
Yes. Officially dingoes are a pest because of the damage they can do to livestock. Landowners are obliged to control them. The dingo (Canis lupus dingo) is a sub-species of the gray wolf. It is closely related to the Arabian wolf and pale-footed wolf (India). Most dingoes carry some domestic dog genes because they will interbreed (as will any wolves and domestic dogs). This pic was taken with a remote camera. You rarely see them in the wild in areas like ours. They are very intelligent and good at staying below the radar. As long as they stay back in the State Forest, I like to see them too.