Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Samsung Galaxy Camera

Will this be the future of Camera (including large sensor SLR / mirrorless)?

11-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Now they are going to need 4.8" LCD view finders.

Pretty cool though.

I would not want an android powered camera though, especially not a high end camera.. not unless they can get much more reliable hardware. Stupid things start screwing up after a year or so - the phones that is.
11-29-2012, 12:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That thing is hot.

Android fanboy here, using Android phones for the past two years now at an enthusiast level. I can echo cyclone3d's comments about the OS getting buggy after a year or so, though in my experience it was because as Google updates its OS and app makers push the limits of the OS, the hardware on the phones just can't keep up. It kind of forces you to upgrade after a while. This doesn't just happen with Android though. My friend had an iPhone 3G that he just replaced last month, and during the end of its days it literally could not accept calls.

Back to the hotness camera . . .

I love it! The camera on the Galaxy S3 is already bloody amazing, so it seems that they just amped up the camera and removed the phone part. Not thrilled about the mandatory data plan though, I would rather just have a wi-fi only version, and if I want to upload something, I can just tether it to my camera (although with Android, I wouldn't be surprised if some hacker came up with a workaround of some sorts).

I'm not a pro photographer, but I wonder if a pro would consider this as a capable 2nd or 3rd camera for a pro shoot.
11-29-2012, 07:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

It needs a phone functionality in that "camera". The size is pretty much the same as most smartphones, why not just go all the way?

Jason

11-29-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I think it's cool but it's just too overpriced for me personally, could buy another really awesome mirrorless for the same amount not to mention those monthly fees from AT&T for the 4G. I'm an android fanboy and a part of me thinks that this definitely the future but I don't think I will be jumping on board till maybe the third or fourth iteration of this concept. Although, I have a feeling that much like the way they have done in the cell phone market Samsung will most likely own this space. If the Nikon version had come out a year ago maybe they could have made a dent but I think it's too late now.

I do think the Galaxy Camera looks pretty sexy though for a fairly high end point and shoot. Would still take my Q over it any day of the week though.
11-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Like it or not, the smart phone camera has pretty much taken over the consumer photo business. I have grabbed some decent shots from my Droid. It was only a matter of time before someone built one with the camera functions as the main attraction. My problem with it is that I have a strong dislike for cameras that force me to use menu functions to change settings. I like all my instant buttons and dials. An old fashioned thing I suppose. I have issues with Android also. It's changing rapidly (good thing) but there no backward compatibility and an expensive item like this could likely be a useless brick in a year or two.
11-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I have been using the original Samsung Galaxy S phone for 2 years. No way is it going to replace a dSLR, even with the 8 mp of the newer Galaxy models. The lenses in these things are very small because the sensor is small.

11-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I have been using the original Samsung Galaxy S phone for 2 years. No way is it going to replace a dSLR, even with the 8 mp of the newer Galaxy models. The lenses in these things are very small because the sensor is small.
Right, I agreed. The thing is, not phone camera, but android powered DSLR, like the Samsung Galaxy Camera.
11-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Not really an Android powered DSLR but more of a mid-high level point and shoot.