Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nikon D600 @ Costco

Stopped by Costco this morning and I was stunned to see an entire pallet of D600 2 lens kits. Priced at $2,895.00usd. I picked up the box and started to put it into the cart before sanity returned.

They did have a display model that I got to play with briefly. A few comments from just a quick examination.
  • Shutter is sweet, almost silent with a real professional thump
  • Grip is a little too big for my hand, just did not fit like the k-5
  • Oddly the grip was too short and I found my little finger curling under; battery grip would help
  • Solid well built feel to everything though I found it too big for my taste it really was not as bad as I expected.

11-30-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ya, I was goofing around with one at our Costco too. Feels big and heavy.
11-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was more overwhelmed by the difference in market presence between Nikon and Pentax than I was by the camera.

I have NEVER seen a single Pentax dslr camera in a brick and mortar store. And Nikon can dump PALLETS of their new full frame model at close to $3,000 a box into Costco. They also had a pallet of D5100 (I think that's the model #) as well as a full plate of other models on display.

The camera itself was as you say big and heavy. Almost clunky I guess but I had only a few moments to play around with it. IMHO Pentax has better ergonomics. But it really doesn't matter unless they can put cameras on shelves in stores. I think the saddest part is that when you pick up a k-x, k-r, k-30 or k-5 it feels right, and they just plain sell themselves. But if the average Joe or Jane cannot pick it up to see how it feels then they will continue to buy what they can pick up: Canikon or maybe Fuji or Sony.

If I was not a fully committed Pentaxian I would be sorely tempted by the D600. It is not up to Pentax standards for ergonomics but it is close. And if you did not have the Pentax camera to compare to then you would assume the D600 was very good. Actually I am a committed Pentaxian and I was still sorely tempted...........
11-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Can you put in your memory card and try it out?

11-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Can you put in your memory card and try it out?
I did not look, no card with me. Though if I had thought about it I would have bought one to try it out. Well maybe, my wife was in a hurry and playing with a Nikon camera was not on her schedule.
11-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was looking at the cameras the other day at Costco, and thinking back, if you put a blue K-30 in there it would stand more than any Nikon or Cannon for sure. A yellow K-01 would have people stopping and blocking the aisle (like the stupid food stuff does). If I remember right, there isn't even a P&S Pentax there.
11-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I have NEVER seen a single Pentax dslr camera in a brick and mortar store. And Nikon can dump PALLETS of their new full frame model at close to $3,000 a box into Costco.
I just let that sink in...really incredible when you think about it.

11-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I did not look, no card with me. Though if I had thought about it I would have bought one to try it out. Well maybe, my wife was in a hurry and playing with a Nikon camera was not on her schedule.
Nice, so no one prevent you to put a card in to try...
Will do that when I get a chance to visit Costco!
11-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #9
Banned

Nikon D600 Full Frame DSLR Camera 2 Lens Bundle
11-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have said a couple of times, that if Pentax would put something like the K30 single or dual lens kit in a Costco and a retiree Pentax shooter to answer questions over a weekend, I think it would be a success. A while back Pentax through an Ad agency were looking for folks to do a similar thing in about 10 cities, and I read a couple of days ago that the same thing was occurring up in Canada.

What if Pentax could sell a pallet of K30 in each Costco over a month or so?

11-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe we all write to Costco (corporate) asking about the odds of them putting a K-something in their stores.
11-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Costco contact info. Customer Service

RS
11-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wrote to them about both DSLR's and possibly the all-weather P&S line. Feel free to do the same.
11-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The efficient way Nikon is handling marketing, as well as production and distribution, of the D600 is impressive.

Obviously it all eclipses Pentax's efforts (in the USA at least), but I think Canon (including the new 6D, which is only now turning up in stores) is also coming under a tremendous amount of market pressure from Nikon at the moment. Lots of Canon folk seem to be looking at Nikon now.
11-30-2012, 09:05 PM   #15
Banned

Photos: Albums
The D600 shows that FF has become affordable and available as a consumer product. But it's a bulky DSLR, so I have no interest in it beyond the change it announces.

But what impressed me more than seeing the D600 at Costco was seeing a Samsung NX 1000 there as well. If Samsung can do it, why shouldn't Ricoh?