Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
One stop better handling noise, but with no VR or SR, the k5 is arguably a better performer in low light.

Strange game of math where I only know enough to be dangerous, but not enough to know what I'm talkin about

12-04-2012, 09:08 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ah yes - that is true, you did mention shake reduction. It's a very wonderful thing to have IBIS....
12-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Let's me try again. An 85mm lens has more reach/magnification then a 77mm lens regardless of the sensor size.
Because he's trying to make full use of the frame on both cameras. To fill and the frame equivalent to a 77mmm on APS-c you need 77x1.5 = 115 mm FF. If both cameras are 16 MP then the images will be equivalent but the APS-c will have more depth of field. The 85 mm image will fill less of the frame and be smaller.

But you all knew that.
12-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
Nikon's quality control. I've got dust issues with the D600 and my Nikkor 16-35 gives me red streaks when shooting long exposures (with eyepiece cover in place).
I believe the red streaks are a known issue with that lens and a few others. Check bythom.com for more on that.

Even back in the D700 days, I believe Nikon's tended to have difficult to recover highlights. Not surprisingly, the D600 carries on that tradition.

12-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
But you all knew that.
Oh yes I did and I now understand, I guess reach kind of works but I would use different terminology. ( and perhaps be misunderstood ). thanks Norm.

I'll head back to my corner now.
12-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
Oh yes I did and I now understand, I guess reach kind of works but I would use different terminology. ( and perhaps be misunderstood ). thanks Norm.

I'll head back to my corner now.
There's no extra 'reach' in absolute terms as it requires magnification at the output (viewing) stage to a 'standard' output. But everyone has their own 'standard' here due to monitoring equipment and favoured print size, so it can get vague. It gets interesting where the sensors have higher resolution (via pixel pitch) as there's an extra dimension offering greater cropping scope than a lower pitched sensor of the same format. Like acceptable focus, this is open to personal value judgements of course. Personally, I'd like to see magnification values @100% for sensors get factored into the 'reach'. It's not just about 1.5x anymore with 24MP APS-C sensors as they offer extra cropping.
12-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
It's not just about 1.5x anymore with 24MP APS-C sensors as they offer extra cropping.
Really it's gotten so complicated with pixel pitch etc. I don't even see why people think about this stuff. All you need to know is your k-5 is pretty darn good and if you want significantly better, you're going to need to go to a D800. Is that so complicated?

12-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Really it's gotten so complicated with pixel pitch etc. I don't even see why people think about this stuff. All you need to know is your k-5 is pretty darn good and if you want significantly better, you're going to need to go to a D800. Is that so complicated?
I think about it because I'm trying to find a way to NOT buy an expensive Nikon telephoto lens. My D800E in 1.5x crop mode is 15MP and I am assuming a decent 24MP APS-C camera body would get extra 'reach' due to cropping ability. An extra 1.6x if I am not mistaken.

300mm x 1.5 = 450
450x1.6 = 720
with TC 1.4x = 1008mm

or using a 1.4x TC
450x1.4 = 630mm

But I wouldn't expect the TC on the 24MP sensor would be all that good as it seems that most lenses hit their optical limit on those sensors.

A Nikon 600/4 from B&H is $9.5k. I'm sure you can see where I'm trying to go with this.

Last edited by bossa; 12-04-2012 at 01:49 PM.
12-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #39
Pentaxian

I looked at both D600 images and D3200 images (a friend bought one). I'm not sure they'd give you more detail than a k-5 or D800 crop. If you remember the one comparison I did from photos from Imaging resource, on the d800 images, you could do a thread count... on D4, D600 and K-5 images you couldn't even see the threads.
12-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I looked at both D600 images and D3200 images (a friend bought one). I'm not sure they'd give you more detail than a k-5 or D800 crop. If you remember the one comparison I did from photos from Imaging resource, on the d800 images, you could do a thread count... on D4, D600 and K-5 images you couldn't even see the threads.
I seem to remember the D3200 showing a bigger image with more detail.. not sure of the exact image though.. maybe a scale?
12-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I seem to remember the D3200 showing a bigger image with more detail.. not sure of the exact image though.. maybe a scale?
If I am remembering the bit you are referring to, some people have mentioned that the k-5 images have different focus points than Canons and Nikons. However, theoretically the D3200 should have more detail per pixel, and can crop for the extra length. However, I don't know if the cropped image looks as good as the k-5's 16MP image (perhaps more artificial looking maybe).
12-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #42
Pentaxian

If you expand the k-5 image so it's the same size, they are very close to identical. I've yet to look at a 24 MP APS-c that showed me anything I couldn't get from expanding a K-5 image to the same size. And I have reason to hope that isn't true, because if i can get more detail out of my same lenses, that would be good for me. Nothing would make me happier than a 24 MP Pentax APS-c that gave me more detail with the same lenses. But my conclusion to date is D800 or nothing in terms of an increase in IQ I'd actually pay for.
12-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
If I am remembering the bit you are referring to, some people have mentioned that the k-5 images have different focus points than Canons and Nikons.
The some people ignored the part where I deliberately examined the photographs in question and selected representative sample that I felt were fair to each image. People posted parts of the image where the other cameras did better than the K-5 , there were parts of the image where the K-5 was better than the other cameras, that I could have posted. I have no time for that kind of game. And honestly, if anyone cares, the best thing they can do is look at the iamges themselves. When I do that, I make decisions based on my preference and what's important to me in a picture. Even if you believe what I posted, you still have to go find out if you come to the same conclusion.
12-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I'm only looking for a way to get extra resolution for a telephoto but It may well be better to just save for a Sigma 500 for the 36mp camera and avoid complicating things more than they are already.
12-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #45
Pentaxian

That Sigma 500 is a heck of a lens from what I've seen. But, I'm never taking one hiking with me.

Hey bossa, we did a picture today I thought you might like...

It's me pretending I can still play guitar, although I never had the long fingers you need to be really good. for some things , long and slender just works way better than short and stubby.