Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-03-2013, 02:26 AM   #196
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
I downloaded DNG Profile Editor for PS this allows you to go in and make your own camera profiles for PS. I know with the D800 I was always struggling to match the output of my K5. 15 minutes with the DNG editor and now I have the colors of my k5 but now in the D800 and the DL is free. It’s also handy for studio work I can match a profile and tint it to some of the classic lenses I loved in the past.
You know, one of the "best" thing that i wish Adobe could do is to really profile Pentax DSLR properly like it does with Canon and Nikon.
I mean, you can shoot at whatever in-camera settings you want (bright/vibrant/portrait/etc), and LR is able to render your RAW files as how it was shot accordingly in-camera settings.

With Pentax bodies, selecting embedded don't seem to render the same thing as what i am seeing on my LCD screen due to the lack of true support.
I suspect "embedded" is basically the same as using "Natural" settings in-camera.

A lot of times, i don't wanna mess with the colors and just PP a little bit more contrast or shadows/highlights while retaining as close as possible to what i see in-camera when i shoot with the "Bright" setting. Oh well...

I know some people will say that it's a non-issue, but to them i would say, go shoot a film SLR then.. Why bother spending on a DSLR, if not for it's many benefits over an SLR? :P

06-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #197
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I hear your pain
I also use silkypix pro I find it easier to process the colors I am looking for

Maney times I will mimic them using DNG editor for PS as I prefer PS for sharpening and NR
06-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #198
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
I mean, you can shoot at whatever in-camera settings you want (bright/vibrant/portrait/etc), and LR is able to render your RAW files as how it was shot accordingly in-camera settings.
Even better. On a Nikon, at least, you don't need to set the camera to /vibrant/portrait/landscape/etc at all. You can just leave it on standard and select which color profile you want later in Lightroom using the camera profile after you import.
06-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #199
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Even better. On a Nikon, at least, you don't need to set the camera to /vibrant/portrait/landscape/etc at all. You can just leave it on standard and select which color profile you want later in Lightroom using the camera profile after you import.
This is more useful than one may think.

I'm trying to decide between these three standard zooms:

Tamron Canada DSLR Photo Lenses - A007E 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD Nikon -

Tamron Canada DSLR Photo Lenses - TAMRON 28-75mm f/2.8 Nikon Di A09N 104A09N CANADA -

24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM - Standard Zoom Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com

i would normally only go with the Nikon variant, but this is a lens I would use very infrequently compared to my primes. I rarely use this field of view on APS-C, so I don't really see why it would get more use on FX. That being said, it is a tool I want to have in my kit, as when I do need it, I don't want to be without it.

The one leading the pack is the cheapest Tamaron. I can't justify spending double the money for vibration stability, and after playing with both Tamron's I find the quality of images very similar between the two, with a slight edge to the VC variant. The Sigma I haven't tried yet.

opinions?

06-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #200
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
I hear your pain
I also use silkypix pro I find it easier to process the colors I am looking for

Maney times I will mimic them using DNG editor for PS as I prefer PS for sharpening and NR
Yea... But when we're doing batch processing, it's tough...

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Worse still..... Now you've made me hate you for telling me that....

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Yep! But artists will never understand this...
06-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #201
Forum Member

I'm loving this lens myself. Depending on what you're doing, the VC can come in handy. I seldomly need it, but, for example, I was out and about and had a chance at a quick shot that was difficult to get without some VC help. Glad I had it.

Never used any of the other lenses, though. The other Tamron has a pretty good reputation, and I almost bought it.
06-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #202
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brntoki Quote
I'm loving this lens myself. Depending on what you're doing, the VC can come in handy. I seldomly need it, but, for example, I was out and about and had a chance at a quick shot that was difficult to get without some VC help. Glad I had it.

Never used any of the other lenses, though. The other Tamron has a pretty good reputation, and I almost bought it.
thats what I'm thinking too. I'm using a tripod more and more often, and my Benro Angel has a monopod built in it gives me my own stability.

06-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #203
Pentaxian

I saw one another fellow had the other day. It was a D600 body with a Zeiss F 1.4 'normal' 50mm. The D 600 seemed smaller and more plasticky than I thought it would be and also to my eye...looked to be not the same quality build as my K-5.
06-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #204
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I saw one another fellow had the other day. It was a D600 body with a Zeiss F 1.4 'normal' 50mm. The D 600 seemed smaller and more plasticky than I thought it would be and also to my eye...looked to be not the same quality build as my K-5.
This is 100% correct. While still bigger than the K5 the grip feels smaller. The build is not upto the K5 level either. feels and sounds more like my K30 than my K5.

That Zeiss is a crazy lens though
06-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #205
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote

I'm trying to decide between these three standard zooms:

Tamron Canada DSLR Photo Lenses - A007E 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD Nikon -

Tamron Canada DSLR Photo Lenses - TAMRON 28-75mm f/2.8 Nikon Di A09N 104A09N CANADA -

24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM - Standard Zoom Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com

i would normally only go with the Nikon variant, but this is a lens I would use very infrequently compared to my primes. I rarely use this field of view on APS-C, so I don't really see why it would get more use on FX. That being said, it is a tool I want to have in my kit, as when I do need it, I don't want to be without it.

The one leading the pack is the cheapest Tamaron. I can't justify spending double the money for vibration stability, and after playing with both Tamron's I find the quality of images very similar between the two, with a slight edge to the VC variant. The Sigma I haven't tried yet.

opinions?
I've got the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and like it a lot - it's very useful, not too large, and I got it for a song.

(That said I sometimes wish it went to 24mm... but that's me, I like the wide stuff.)

Here's a resolution test snap on the D800 - the Tamron zooms don't let you down:

Crop of above:

06-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #206
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow that's pretty solid performer for a $500 lens.
06-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #207
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I've got the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and like it a lot - it's very useful, not too large, and I got it for a song.

(That said I sometimes wish it went to 24mm... but that's me, I like the wide stuff.)
The focal length is weird. You'll miss it if you don't have it, but I very often feel like I need wider or longer (the 24-70 that is, but would be the same for 28-75). I'm doomed!
06-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #208
Site Supporter

I had the Sigma 24-70/2.8 in Nikon mount back when I had a D600.

I didn't like it. I'm not sure why. We didn't click.

For comparison's sake: I liked the Pentax 17-70/4, didn't like the Pentax 16-50/2.8, liked the Pentax 16-45/4, and currently like the Canon 24-105/4.

So I'm not afraid to like a zoom.

And I liked the Sigma 50/1.4. So I'm not anti Sigma. In fact, I'd love to try a Sigma 85/1.4, which I'm sure I'd like too.
06-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #209
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I love my Pentax 16-50 2.8 and I don't mind the D600 Kit lens anymore... but I want faster.

I've not gotten along with many sigma lenses. I have the 80-300 in Pentax mount and rarely use it. But keep it around just in case.

Problem is that I can't get by on the D600 without a fast normal zoom for the times I do need it. While I haven't done many paying jobs since Christmas due yo personal schedule, I'm starting to get some requests for some jobs so I want to put this camera through its paces. Even though I think the Zeiss 50 and 85g will be my primaries.
06-06-2013, 02:01 AM   #210
Inactive Account

Another vote for Tammy 28-75... got mine for 200$
I had a really crappy example that had been through hell and back, but it delivered... and it was small and light.
Not going to show you the 100% crops as Jay already did that... the lens is sharp.
Must be the most bang for the buck zoom lens for FX. Not the fastest AF though (bim version)
Its a really useful lens, nice mfd and ok bokeh at times.
The new VC version seem to be a fantastic lens, but i suggest you go to a shop and try it, its BIG and heavy. The old one is really small and light.

These are just family snaps. The reason for me to use the lens was to find out wich primes i would like in the FX format. As it turned out i love the 28mm fov, thanks to the Tammy, so now i have the 28/50/85 Nikon trio.

@ 28mm

@ 60-75mm

Last edited by the swede; 06-06-2013 at 02:07 AM.