Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

EXIF data from Reuters' best of 2012: analyzed

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1A9U6JVLnh0cCeWzabq03buSY26MA0CvYYJ68WquT7YM

Pretty fascinating...

12-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Having gone through the pictures, some of the shots were taken at a really low ISO for the scene.. either the photographer was so caught up that he didn't change the ISO, or some of these photographers have an aversion to high ISO.
12-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Apparently, press photogs don't give a rat's behind about DXO and the "best" sensors as Nikon was about 10 - 15% of the cameras used. I'm not suprised though. Most shots I see of press photographers, Canon gear looks to be way more popular amongst that group of users.

The only thing I find slightly strange is that I figured the 24-70 would see more use.
12-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The 16-35 seems much more useful for press photography as you can always crop.

12-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Having gone through the pictures, some of the shots were taken at a really low ISO for the scene.. either the photographer was so caught up that he didn't change the ISO, or some of these photographers have an aversion to high ISO.
If you shot Canon, you'd be averse to it too (duck)
12-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
Apparently, press photogs don't give a rat's behind about DXO and the "best" sensors as Nikon was about 10 - 15% of the cameras used. I'm not suprised though. Most shots I see of press photographers, Canon gear looks to be way more popular amongst that group of users.

The only thing I find slightly strange is that I figured the 24-70 would see more use.
I think Reuters supplies equipment and discounts to it's photogs, and they have standardized on Canon as a supplier. Who knows what these stats would look like if the Reuters photogs had other brands as a choice for 'free'.
12-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote

Nikon is more about IQ while Canon is more about speed- makes sense IMO, regardless of whether or not the cameras are sponsored (though that's certainly also a big factor).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I think Reuters supplies equipment and discounts to it's photogs, and they have standardized on Canon as a supplier. Who knows what these stats would look like if the Reuters photogs had other brands as a choice for 'free'.
Jay, you're correct. Reuters is a Canon shop according to a recent Bythom posting, so the skewing is expected.
12-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Thats what I know happens to the local press here too.
They have a 'choice supplier' and Canon in their previous life happened to push all the right buttons to get them into the camera supplier list. (pro support, turn around and willingness to be haggled on price of equipment/repairs figure in too)

That said, the coincidence of camera settings is kind of interesting.
12-10-2012, 03:29 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I work as a press photographer. Based on my observations here in Japan, Reuters is indeed using Canon as its camera of choice while AFP, EPA and Kyodo use Nikon. I use Pentax as my main system though I do carry around a Sony NEX with short and long zooms for a "have with me anywhere I go camera when I don't have the big gear" setup.