Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2012, 07:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Sony Mirrorless Full Frame coming

Looks like Sony will be the first to bring a FF EVIL to market. Lots of Fuji rumors and Olympus is rumored to have a "larger" EVIL in the works, but not sure what size that would be.

(SR5) Full Frame mirrorless from Sony coming in almost exactly one year! 24 or 30-32 Megapixel! | sonyalpharumors

12-21-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
Banned

Sony Mirrorless Full Frame is here today

That would mean an even larger choice of full frame lenses for my Sony NEX-VG900 full frame mirrorless.

Last edited by ihasa; 12-21-2012 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Edited to remove numerous O/T links which have already been posted many times elsewhere.
12-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
Site Supporter

This is part of why the D600 price was slashed, IMO.
12-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is good to hear. I think mirrorless cameras should be the norm. Since owning a couple small sensor mirrorless cameras, the thought of the mechanical mirror coincides with the thought of incandescent light bulbs - it is very old tech.

All that needs to be done is for the EVF to progress.

12-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote

All that needs to be done is for the EVF to progress.
A "directly through the lens and sensor" OVF would be ideal...maybe I should patent this design first before mentioning such groundbreaking technology?

Jason
12-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If only Sony made lenses as quickly as they made cameras....

Still, should be interesting.
12-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
If only Sony made lenses as quickly as they made cameras....
Actually, they do. They released three this year (16-50mm pancake, 35mm f1.8, 10-18mm ultra wide zoom), not to mention the rebadged 18-200mm Tamron (or was that last year?) - that's the same number of bodies that they released this year. They have been releasing roughly the same number of lenses as bodies each year ever since they started the NEX line (and that's excluding the two adapters for the 16mm pancake).

Looking forward to the FF NEX body. Should be there in time for my 50th birthday!

12-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Actually, they do. They released three this year (16-50mm pancake, 35mm f1.8, 10-18mm ultra wide zoom), not to mention the rebadged 18-200mm Tamron (or was that last year?) - that's the same number of bodies that they released this year. They have been releasing roughly the same number of lenses as bodies each year ever since they started the NEX line (and that's excluding the two adapters for the 16mm pancake).

Looking forward to the FF NEX body. Should be there in time for my 50th birthday!
Well, I sit corrected.

Question, is the E-mount and the current NEX lens lineup FF compatible or will Sony have to create new lenses?

I'd prefer a FF K-02 myself. I'd rather avoid a new mount to invest in...
12-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote

Question, is the E-mount and the current NEX lens lineup FF compatible or will Sony have to create new lenses?
All current E-mount lenses are APS-C only. Apparently creating full frame E-mount lens will be a "challenge" according to Sony - that's why they are taking a whole year to do it (because they want to release an FF NEX with at least one FF lens). Otherwise they probably could have released an FF NEX tomorrow (in addition to the VG900 that is).

I'm not really bothered with the lack of FF E-mount lenses - I'm planning to use M-mount lens with the FF NEX.
12-21-2012, 11:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm hoping Sony has some competition from Fuji and Olympus. Maybe the new partnership with Olympus will result in new glass and E-mount bodies from both companies. Olympus makes very good glass, and their AF & JPEG engine is probably as good as it gets in EVIL.