Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2013, 11:15 PM   #1

D200 dust in viewfinder

Any suggestions on removing dust from a Nikon D200 viewfinder? Will a rocket blower help opr does it involve some dismantling of the camera to access the viewfinder? I feel certain it is in the viewfinder because it does not show up in the images; I shot clear sky to see if the dust would show up in the images, and it didn't.

01-13-2013, 08:15 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a Rocket blower to get the dust out of my viewfinder when needed. just hold the camera upside down and blow in the direction of the view finder. I usually then blow out the rest of the camera as well, just to make sure non landed in the camera.
01-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
I use a Rocket blower to get the dust out of my viewfinder when needed. just hold the camera upside down and blow in the direction of the view finder. I usually then blow out the rest of the camera as well, just to make sure non landed in the camera.
Thanks Patrick!
01-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NRV Shooter Quote
Thanks Patrick!
How do you like your D200, btw? Would you recommend it now, considering they go for <$300? This is my latest ... obsession is not too strong a word, I'm seriously thinking of getting one, mainly to use with my stack of Nikkor Ai lenses.

I think there's a way to let the focusing screen down to get the blower on the top side, you should look at sites selling replacement screens.

01-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks Nesster, I'll try a rocket blower first down the throat, and if that doesn't work I'll see if I can find a way to get to the viewfinder area better.

Nice clean used D200's are relatively cheap right now, as you say, and I think they are a lot of camera for the money. I have a K10D which I like very much and the D200's ergonomics are similar. I thought about a K-5 but I just don't have any interest in video, and it is a lot more money that I paid for this D200. I don't need 16 MP since I don't intend to print anything real big. I don't shoot in dark places such as bars, jazz clubs, opera houses, etc. Most of my shooting is outside for landscape or wildlife, in decent light so the K10D and D200 will do me just fine.

I only just got the camera Saturday, and it has a Nikkor 18-70mm S lens which has the Silent Wave Motor for auto-focus; the auto-focus is quick and quiet, to say the least. I took it hiking yesterday and played with various settings, I think I will like it a lot, once I get used to the basic operations. It seems to be pretty straightforward, with a lot of primary functions controlled by external buttons, which I like, much like the K10D. I have several nice Tamron Adaptall II lenses that will work with it. I will probably look for a used AF lens in the 50-200mm range to go with the 18-70 and I should be set.

Both the D200 and the K10D are a lot more camera than I am photographer!

Last edited by NRV Shooter; 01-15-2013 at 05:02 AM.
01-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
precisely my thinking...