Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2013, 06:08 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nikon Vs Canon FF - For Pentax users

I know D800 & D600 are fantastic cameras compared to current Canon/Sony FF offerings. However does possibility of using Pentax lenses on Sony/Canon makes them better suited for Pentax users who owns Pentax lenses and hoping for Pentax releasing FF in future?

Just wondering.

01-14-2013, 07:38 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
I know D800 & D600 are fantastic cameras compared to current Canon/Sony FF offerings. However does possibility of using Pentax lenses on Sony/Canon makes them better suited for Pentax users who owns Pentax lenses and hoping for Pentax releasing FF in future?

Just wondering.
You can't use K mount or M42 lenses on a Nikon body without an adapter with an optical glass element due to flange focal distance. Canon should be less of a problem in this regard as well as Sony. But some M42 lenses protrude so deep into the mount that they could hit the Canon FF mirror.
01-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Without a question its a Canon if you just want a FF to stand in until Pentax releases one.
Nikon flange distance means an adapter with glass elements.

The catch are these:
1. 5D and 5DII af is not great at all if you plan to have some Canon AF lenses too
Some may dispute this, but I found accurcy/speed so-so (my K5/K30 is better)
2. 5Diii af is reported to be good, but its rather expensive as a FF 'stand-in'
3. 5D DR is clearly far behind a K5/K30.
3. K-mount lenses will need modification
4. M42 lenses generally work fine with the exception of some lenses 50mm FL and below.
There's an easily available list that you can google up.

I can only say that even what I consider 'tier 2-3' Pentax lenses are nice on FF.
Easily giving Canikon lenses a run for the money.
So when Pentax does come up with a FF, I'm sure the even better 'tier 1' lenses will really shine.

Alternatively, just get a used Canon (5D, 5Dii) or Nikon (D700) and 3 cheap primes (eg. 28/2.8, 50/1.8, 85/1.8)
Sell them off w/o much loss when a Pentax FF comes (if ever true)
01-14-2013, 10:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
However does possibility of using Pentax lenses on Sony/Canon makes them better suited for Pentax users who owns Pentax lenses and hoping for Pentax releasing FF in future?
Well, scratch Sony out - you cannot use Pentax K-mount lenses on the alpha mount (M42 lenses work fine though). The mount registration distances are too close to allow building an alpha-K adapter without optical elements. So there is just Canon for now. Of course, if Sony releases a FF MILC this year, things will change.

01-15-2013, 02:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your best bet for using Pentax glass is on a Canon, though you will likely need to modify them slightly (take off flange, etc...do a google search on this). I believe these modifications can be reversed without too much difficulty in the event Pentax does release a FF.

If you did this, I'd probably go with the 5DII, and if you're on more of a budget, the original 5D. If you need awesome AF or just want the refinements, go with the 5D3 (expensive holdover though, and AF isn't a huge concern if you're using Pentax glass which will be MF). I actually quite like the 5D series, though its big pitfall at the moment is that its sensor can't hold a candle to the DR of the exmor-sensor cameras (K5, K30, D800, D600, etc) at lower ISOs. At higher ISOs they actually do a little better.