Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpyykonen Quote
Yeah, I guess... It would make it more Pentax like that way, right?

But TBH, more than that I also believe it's a new mount. Or maybe M-mount. If there will be one. I don't think current NX mount can handle fullframe sensor as the diameter is so small. Also current NX lenses hardly can handle FF (other than maybe 60mm macro and 85mm/1.4). But we'll see.
It does not appear that the NX mount can handle a FF sensor. This is just a rumor at this point and I actually doubt Samsung will do it. The NX-R is on the way, but I bet it has a APS-C sensor. I would love to see a NX body with a FF sensor, but I doubt it.

01-16-2013, 08:29 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
If Samsung can overcome its many development problems, particularly slow/crippled hardware, underdeveloped firmware, NR issues, poor high ISO output, and lists of things they leave out or not develop correctly, things might be good here. Basically, if they're stepping up to FF, they have to make sure the overall camera performance is where it's at. FF isn't just a matter of dropping in a larger sensor to say you have it. It's a matter of getting the overall performance up to snuff to exploit it.

Unless Samsung is just doing it to get the kudos to say they got a FF mirrorless in, damning development of every other aspect, which they've done before.

Also, expect the .SRW files, which are huge, so they cripple and go 12 bit to reduce the size so the slow hardware can function with fewer lockups.
This is exactly why Samsung needs to partner with someone like Pentax who can deal with all of the issues you mention but lacks the resources to develop products.

Personally I am more interested in the Samsung 35mm x 35mm MF prototype. Samsung has been rapidly moving into their 5th generation of digital ILC cameras and they should be making some big improvements. The new NX300 looks interesting, but we will see how the sensor preforms and if the support technology and hardware is finally up to standards.
01-16-2013, 10:37 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That means we will probably see it at CP+.
Which is as likely as the real product, IMO (Samsung won't be at CP+). At least it's more reasonable than the MF rumor.
01-17-2013, 10:24 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I'm not buying this. Either the rumor or the theoretical camera. As an NX user I have to say that after the initial big announcements, Samsung's camera efforts have been lackluster and halfhearted. I suspect most current NX lenses don't cover the FF area and like other posters, I'm not sure about the mount either. And Samsung starting yet another lens line and mount - nope. IF they will in fact release a FF camera in March, I think it will be something with a fixed lens like the RX1 but even that sounds pretty improbable.

01-18-2013, 12:13 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Way to go Samsung! Pentax just continues to get left even further behind
01-18-2013, 07:07 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Wrong; the Pentax FF rumor was first.
01-18-2013, 07:19 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Wrong; the Pentax FF rumor was first.
Sooo true

01-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not a credible source. PhotoRumors still has Adam's annoying April Fool FF K-3 posted as a rumor. I don't doubt a new Samsung is coming, but it will be APS-C.
01-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #24
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
And Samsung starting yet another lens line and mount - nope.
If they can make a better product, why not? I don't think the NX system sells as well as NEX, despite being quite on par with it as far as lenses go. So it's not like they would kill the golden goose with such a move. And financially, Samsung is doing great, so they can afford risks more than anyone else.
01-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
If they can make a better product, why not?
First they make/badge engineer K mount cameras and lenses and drop them. Then they make NX mount cameras and lenses. And you think it would be a good idea for them to drop that as well and start a new one? Who'd trust the brand enough to invest one single dollar?
01-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
First they make/badge engineer K mount cameras and lenses and drop them. Then they make NX mount cameras and lenses. And you think it would be a good idea for them to drop that as well and start a new one? Who'd trust the brand enough to invest one single dollar?
Where did someone say that they should drop the current NX mount? Why do they have to drop one to start a new one. Samsung is a pretty strong company. They are the only ones who seem to be able to go head to head with Apple right now. If they want to invest the resources in a new FF mount they definitely can. I'm not sure they actually will, but they have the ability.
01-18-2013, 11:50 PM   #27
Banned

First they make/badge engineer K mount cameras and lenses and drop them.
Smart move.

Then they make NX mount cameras and lenses. And you think it would be a good idea for them to drop that as well and start a new one?
Nikon makes DX cameras and lenses - they didn't drop those to make the FX cameras. Same with Canon EF-S and EF mounts. There's place for two mounts in every manufacturer's stable. Look at Ricoh/Pentax - they have 3!

Who'd trust the brand enough to invest one single dollar?
Count me in.
01-20-2013, 02:13 AM   #28
Banned

Anyone who would early adopt or commit to buy any Samsung, sight unseen, is the bad shopper that they bet on. This is why they still continue to throw features into cams, while failing to address the massive hardware and firmware development issues.

They cut corners everywhere and the more features they throw in, the more corners they are cutting elsewhere. A camera is more than just a sensor and maybe a lens, but they don't seem to know this. Nor do they know that ILCs require lenses, which they keep insisting are available, but then you have people all over DPR having to source gray market ones from S. Korea and other places around the world via ebay.
02-10-2013, 12:15 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That means we will probably see it at CP+. Probably not going to use K-mount lenses, right?
Doesn't make any sense. Samsung doesn't sell cameras in Japan. Nobody there is so stupid to buy them.
02-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ageha Quote
Doesn't make any sense. Samsung doesn't sell cameras in Japan. Nobody there is so stupid to buy them.
Oh yea...
Crazy, bizarre Japan : theCHIVE