Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Samsung Full-Frame Mirror-less - March 2013

Let’s drop the bomb: New Samsung Full Frame NX-R to come in March? | Mirrorless Rumors

According to a new anonymous source Samsung secretly worked on the development of a new Full Frame mirrorless camera that will be launched in March! If that is true they will beat on time both Sony and Fuji that are rumored to launched their FF mirrorless systems in late 2013 – early 2014. The new camera will be named Samsung NX-R.

01-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That means we will probably see it at CP+. Probably not going to use K-mount lenses, right?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
According to a new anonymous source Samsung secretly worked on the development of a new Full Frame mirrorless camera that will be launched in March! If that is true they will beat on time both Sony and Fuji that are rumored to launched their FF mirrorless systems in late 2013 – early 2014. The new camera will be named Samsung NX-R.
?? Sony's FF mirrorless is already here:

01-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
?? Sony's FF mirrorless is already here:
I think they mean e mount mirrorless -- one where you can actually change lenses on the camera.

01-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think they mean e mount mirrorless -- one where you can actually change lenses on the camera.
Wow, I had forgotten that was a fixed-lens body.

So, go Samsung!

01-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That means we will probably see it at CP+. Probably not going to use K-mount lenses, right?
Probably not without an adapter, but given Samsung's prior relationship with Pentax and K-mount I would expect an adapter pretty quickly.

I just hope Samsung has taken a step forward with sensor technology. The 20MP APS-C was a little less than expected.

It would be nice if Pentax and Samsung would partner back up and work on a FF MILC system together.
01-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't know why but I sense a hint here It may actually make a bit of sense: it would help Pentax (Ricoh) to sell more lenses and Samsung get more foothold as a brand and sell cameras. It would give both parties more time to develop their own, Pentax their camera and Samsung their lenses and still be "first in the market". This may actually be the only K-mount mirrorless FF body, later ones may be with shorter flange distance. And Pentax and Samsung have earlier history too. I don't know, just playing with the idea.

01-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

This is absolutely terrific news! Can I pre-order?

Samsung, with the Pentax history, will probably be quick to issue a PK adapter too. Maybe even with AF? Oh my, that's very bad news for Pentax!
01-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpyykonen Quote
I don't know why but I sense a hint here It may actually make a bit of sense: it would help Pentax (Ricoh) to sell more lenses and Samsung get more foothold as a brand and sell cameras. It would give both parties more time to develop their own, Pentax their camera and Samsung their lenses and still be "first in the market". This may actually be the only K-mount mirrorless FF body, later ones may be with shorter flange distance. And Pentax and Samsung have earlier history too. I don't know, just playing with the idea.
If Pentax would make one with Pentax image processing, DNG support, and ergonomics..... I'm sold.
01-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I don't think Pentax and Samsung are on good terms.

I doubt we will ever see another Samsung camera with a K mount.

I also doubt we will ever see another Samsung sensor in a Pentax.
01-15-2013, 11:51 PM   #11
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpyykonen Quote
This may actually be the only K-mount mirrorless FF body, later ones may be with shorter flange distance.
Because it's such a good idea in the first place, right?
01-16-2013, 12:02 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Bundle it with the a choice FAs and you got a deal! , realistically dont see K mounts let alone FF K mounts as they will negate the best feature, size. Interesting none the less, who knows?
01-16-2013, 01:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I don't think Pentax and Samsung are on good terms.

I doubt we will ever see another Samsung camera with a K mount.
I can see that if Samsung and Pentax are best buddies, that Samsung will not market an AF PK adapter for using Pentax lenses on their new FF EVIL. But if they are not on good terms then it's all the more reason for Samsung to just wals over them completely.
01-16-2013, 01:51 AM   #14
Banned

If Samsung can overcome its many development problems, particularly slow/crippled hardware, underdeveloped firmware, NR issues, poor high ISO output, and lists of things they leave out or not develop correctly, things might be good here. Basically, if they're stepping up to FF, they have to make sure the overall camera performance is where it's at. FF isn't just a matter of dropping in a larger sensor to say you have it. It's a matter of getting the overall performance up to snuff to exploit it.

Unless Samsung is just doing it to get the kudos to say they got a FF mirrorless in, damning development of every other aspect, which they've done before.

Also, expect the .SRW files, which are huge, so they cripple and go 12 bit to reduce the size so the slow hardware can function with fewer lockups.
01-16-2013, 01:55 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Because it's such a good idea in the first place, right?
Yeah, I guess... It would make it more Pentax like that way, right?

But TBH, more than that I also believe it's a new mount. Or maybe M-mount. If there will be one. I don't think current NX mount can handle fullframe sensor as the diameter is so small. Also current NX lenses hardly can handle FF (other than maybe 60mm macro and 85mm/1.4). But we'll see.

Last edited by jpyykonen; 01-16-2013 at 02:11 AM.