Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
01-24-2013, 06:33 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Sorry, but I would guess that 95% of camera owners (myself included) won't take any better pictures with the Nikon than they did with the K-5. If you are among the 5% elite, then congratulations. If not, you wasted your money, IMHO.
I believe people are free to spend their money however they wish. Why such negativity in the non-Pentax camera section of the forum?

01-24-2013, 06:54 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I believe people are free to spend their money however they wish. Why such negativity in the non-Pentax camera section of the forum?
You missed the point. Many people spend more money needlessly. Yes, it's their prerogative, but if you aren't going to gain anything (or very little) why do it? And it has nothing to do with brands, I only mentioned them because the OP did. I'd feel the same way if Pentax came out with a full frame and priced it at $3000.

It's not negativity, it's reality.
01-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #18
Banned

Sorry, but I would guess that 95% of camera owners (myself included) won't take any better pictures with the Nikon than they did with the K-5. If you are among the 5% elite, then congratulations. If not, you wasted your money, IMHO.
While Pentax does have almost one hundred existing marketed lens (which would include various third party ones), a somewhat limited flash selection (which unfortunately doesn't include companies such as Quantam) and also a very limited accessories selection... All of that adds up to a somewhat limited camera - especially for professional use, and even advanced use - even in hobbies.

Which is exactly why people are jumping ship left and right for cameras that have very few limitations. Such would be the base for Nikon, Canon, and runner up Sony. All three have a much better selection of cameras and items matched exactly to those cameras. So why settle for being limited by what is the existing Pentax label?

Even from a purely business aspect as well, as well as needing financial backing... Saw a very advanced professional that had all of their ducks in a line for advancing their business prospects - and then had the need to go to a bank. The bank, and unwritter - came back and saw the obvious issue with Pentax hardware. Due to exactly that (and literally only that) they did not get the loan.

Businesses are starting to see this, as are students are seeing this as well.

Pentax needs to get out there and get it's foot in the door for people such as new students; as they are the future of the camera company more so than any other aspect.
01-24-2013, 07:32 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster

I'm the 1%

01-24-2013, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
...think I've seen this story a few thousand times in the past decade. The names are changed, the brands not always the same, but the story is.
When I was a teen, down by the river fishing one day, two old men were near me also fishing. As I listened to their conversation, I got one of the most valuable lessons of my life, and it always comes to mind when I read these "I'm switching" threads.

The old man said..."Henry, it's been a rough ride, I've been married 7 times, and married the same woman every time. Sure, they all looked different, but every one was the same."

Good luck with your new woman!

Regards!
01-24-2013, 08:01 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Envy, but I would get the D800E if have the pocket.
01-24-2013, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #22
axl
Veteran Member

Good luck.

I always get amused by folks who say you won't gaing anything by switching...I've been there and I've done it. I had K-7 and nice selection of lenses (FA*24, FA*28-70, DA*55, FA31ltd and FA100/2.8 at the time of switch) and the choce was K-5 or other brand. Would have gone Nikon but I've never been fond of their ergonomics (although the D3 I tried last week was rather nice) so I settled for 7D. Loved all but the sensor so I got 1D3 when I got the chance. Never regreted it. Built, controls, ergonomics and handling are great. AF and metering is beter than anything I've tried with Pentax (yes I did actually try K-5 and K-5II). The sensor delivers all I need from it. You surely know the reasons behind you wanting to switch. Don't let the naysayers put you off for whatever reason

01-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
After 45+ years with Pentax I'm just burned out with the limitations I mentioned in my original post. Pentax was and is great, but I WILL take better pictures with the Nikon even if only because my creative juices are reenergized. . . This will make ME feel good!
01-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #24
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

....I might add, he found the "Perfect Woman" every time!
01-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stbdtack Quote
...but I WILL take better pictures with the Nikon even if only because my creative juices are reenergized. . . This will make ME feel good!
At the end of the day, that's all that matters. Enjoy the journey!
01-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Good luck with your new found love . I'm sure you'll have a blast!
01-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stbdtack Quote
I'm the 1%
That's great! I'm looking forward to seeing your work in Nat Geo.
01-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #28
Inactive Account

I'd disagree with that in this case. Having such things as autofocus that works perfectly almost every time (3D is just... wow. That's all I can say about that), much smaller focus points and a flash system that not only works as it should but is affordable enough that I can buy nearly five TTL strobes for the price of a single Pentax one means that my tool is fitter for the job in hand, and I'm not fighting the camera to get the shot I want as it works in harmony with me to get what I want to shoot. And then there's the huge difference in resolution and better lowlight performance, not to mention the massive, bright vf and fantastic lenses for a fraction of the Pentax price; have a quick look at the price of Nikon primes and you will see how I bought a brand new 50 and an 85 (both 1.8, wr and SDM) for less than a single, slower limited, whilst supporting a local camera shop 20 mins walk from my house.

I did feel a bit sad selling all my k mount stuff - until I took my '800 out to shoot a gig for the first time. I sold up as I was just plain fed up with having to mail order everything - without the returns policies that guys in the States and Canada have - and with my cameras failing at the worst possible times. Both kx and k5 going down simultaneously at the start of a wedding ceremony, and then the k5 missing focus completely on the bouquet toss? Not good for my business so bye bye Pentax. Seriously though, I used to take two or three shots each time with Pentax and hope one of them was focused. Now I take one and well over 90% of the time it's focused perfectly on what I was composing for which means happier brides as there's less strobing going on, and a faster workflow for me.

I wish they'd released a camera better suited to my needs and weren't as unreasonably expensive for everything other than their bodies, but I felt I had little option than to put my money where my mouth is.

Last edited by wildweasel; 01-24-2013 at 12:09 PM.
01-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I hear the angst in these situations. I guess for me, the things that draw me to Pentax are more the lure of full frame. I am hopeful that there will be a pro-speced body (full frame maybe) that will come out at the end of the year. But either way, I can get the photos and look I want with my current lenses and I won't be jumping ship.

At the same time, good luck to the OP! Life is too short to be shooting with a system where you feel constant frustration, whatever may be the cause. Maybe we'll see you back here some day if Pentax comes out with a camera that beats the D800...
01-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wildweasel Quote
I was just plain fed up with having to mail order everything ...
I second that. I often go to a pro camera shop in my city to do trade-in on gear. Over the last 20 years, Pentax presents in the store kept shrinking and today they are gone. The store has about every other camera brand in it except Pentax. Only used Pentax gear can be found.

And when I went to trade in my Zeiss 85/1.4 in a Pentax mount for another lens in a Nikon mount, they told me I would get more for the lens if it was a Nikon or Canon mount. Kind of disappointing. And their Pentax rental selection is a fraction of what they have in Nikon and Canon. Of course your experience will depend on where you live.