Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
01-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
Inactive Account

I Give Up

Well, I've finally done it -- yesterday I sold my K-5 and ordered a Nikon D800. I'm just tired of being a second class citizen, not so much in terms of quality engineering and picture taking, but EVERYTHING else is just harder with Pentax. . . Accessories are less available, advice and training is less available, and so on and on. I'm not a Johnny-come-lately, having purchased my first Pentax Spotmatic in 1967 and upgrading through thick and thin ever since then. I feel a little regret but I must say I'm excited about my Nikon future. I'll be keeping a my K-01 along with a couple of favorite lenses to throw in the beach bag or whatever.

01-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stbdtack Quote
Well, I've finally done it -- yesterday I sold my K-5 and ordered a Nikon D800. I'm just tired of being a second class citizen, not so much in terms of quality engineering and picture taking, but EVERYTHING else is just harder with Pentax. . . Accessories are less available, advice and training is less available, and so on and on. I'm not a Johnny-come-lately, having purchased my first Pentax Spotmatic in 1967 and upgrading through thick and thin ever since then. I feel a little regret but I must say I'm excited about my Nikon future. I'll be keeping a my K-01 along with a couple of favorite lenses to throw in the beach bag or whatever.
The D800 is definitely not going to disappoint. Pentax still has the best forum out there, though

P.S. stay tuned for nikonforums.com in the middle of this year.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-21-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The D800 is definitely not going to disappoint. Pentax still has the best forum out there, though

P.S. stay tuned for nikonforums.com in the middle of this year.
Why is it when I take Nikonforums.com and paste it into my command line on my browser it takes me to PF Photographic Home? ....... Which happens to be the home of Pentax Forums and Photo Enthusiast?

I guess you guys have been busy. Now I can switch to Nikon......

Last edited by Winder; 01-21-2013 at 05:38 PM.
01-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Pentaxforum is be

Agree, Pentax Forum is best. Can't wait for the Nikon Forum 😊

01-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I wouldn't feel bad about it. Pentax has chosen not to compete with FF, so they're going to lose people who need/want it. Besides, you're at least hanging onto the K-01.

I actually just ordered a D800 to replace my Canon and Pentax gear to some extent. Going to share my K5 with my mom instead of selling it....I figure the D800 w/ 24-70 will be huge and there will be occasions where the K5 will be the better tool for the job.

The Pentax forums are great...better than the other boards out there IMO. Adam does a great job.
01-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Switching is no big deal.
Its a personal choice/need

Just don't keep coming over the PF to say that those here are 'losers' and that Canikon is the new messiah and all that.
Shoo... shoo... go play with the guys at the next playground/forums
01-23-2013, 12:56 AM   #7
axl
Veteran Member

I swithced a year ago and despite hanging around some other sited I still very regularely return to PF.com
Great comunity here.
Enjoy your new camera

01-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Boo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
01-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Nikon forums! Yay! I can go there and talk about my only Nikon camera:

Meanwhile, a friend of mine is considering switching to Pentax from Nikon because Nikon has been so piss-poor about supporting their D60 with lenses that have VR, AF motors AND the focal lengths and apertures he wants.
01-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Yeah I was in the same boat as you and baled out. You won't regret getting the D800, it is an amazing camera. Just remember to get lenses that utilise that resolution! There is quite a steep learning curve coming to terms with the Nikon system, and this particular camera, but the results speak for themselves. As much as loved my K5, I don't regret the move. Mmmm looking forward to the Nikon forum too.
01-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #11
Inactive Account

You'll love the D800; I made the switch in November and haven't regretted it once. It's not that much bigger and the focus and flash will bowl you over. BTW have a look at the YN568DX - fully auto TTL flash for £100.
01-24-2013, 02:41 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Expensive Transition

Thanks, all. Yes, this will be an expensive transition because I intend to buy the "holy trinity" of Nikkor lenses along with the 28-300 all-rounder -- also, battery grip, RRS L Bracket, Speedlight, etc., etc. I will certainly stick around here because of the great community, and after all, I will still have the K-01 and a couple of other Pentax things. Who knows, maybe I'll clean up the old LX and burn the odd roll of film from time to time. I'm anticipating with pleasure climbing the learning curve with the D800. . . The new Nikon forum can't come soon enough for me
01-24-2013, 05:07 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Have you considered the Tamron 24-70? I got that instead of the Nikkor and saved best part of a grand and gained VR; and all for the tiniest loss in absolute image quality.
01-24-2013, 05:35 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yes, I've considered non-Nikon alternatives to each of the lenses, and there are excellent choices in every category. Right now I think I'll remain a purist, but who knows in a month or two when I actually have to come up with the cash. . ..
01-24-2013, 06:22 AM - 3 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sorry, but I would guess that 95% of camera owners (myself included) won't take any better pictures with the Nikon than they did with the K-5. If you are among the 5% elite, then congratulations. If not, you wasted your money, IMHO.