Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2013, 03:39 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
FF: Nikon or Canon

Hello. I want to escape from Pentax (after 4 years) and buy some cheap FF with 24-70/2.8 and 70(80)-200/2.8.
So my question is: what system are better, N or C ?

I believe, Pentax will release FF in future, but I dont want to wait and wait for good ff 2.8 zooms.

Last edited by Cyberex; 02-20-2013 at 03:47 AM.
02-20-2013, 03:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

f2.8 zooms are not cheap, in either system...
02-20-2013, 03:48 AM   #3

Original Poster
I know. I know prices on all lenses interesting to me.
02-20-2013, 06:48 AM   #4
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
f2.8 zooms are not cheap, in either system...
Take a look at the Sigma glass; such as the Sigma 24-70 (constant aperature) f2.8... It goes for about the same price for PK as with the other two lens mounts. Ironically better optically (and aperature) than anything Pentax offers, and also darn close to both Canon and Nikon.

02-20-2013, 06:50 AM   #5
Banned

Photos: Albums
The Canon line better at video. The Nikon line significantly better for stills and also much better quality construction for professional use
02-20-2013, 07:53 AM   #6

Original Poster
And for studio shots ?
02-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If you have any interest in legacy lenses, Nikon has good backward compatibility to old Nikkor manual focus, while Canon is more adaptable to other makes due to its shallower register distance. Personally, I'd rather have the automation with manual focus lenses Nikon gives than the complication of Canon.

Nikon does flash better in general; both brands offer lots of studio support such as tethering and so on.

02-20-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
If you have any interest in legacy lenses, Nikon has good backward compatibility to old Nikkor manual focus, while Canon is more adaptable to other makes due to its shallower register distance. Personally, I'd rather have the automation with manual focus lenses Nikon gives than the complication of Canon. .
But also keep in mind that you are limited to 9 'non-cpu' lenses with the D600.

Most non-Canon lenses require some sort of modification to work on a FF Canon...

Last edited by boriscleto; 02-20-2013 at 08:18 AM.
02-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some general thoughts after using a 5D2 and D800/D600.

Nikon is better for stills if you're shooting at lower ISOs. Canon has the edge for high ISO, esp. with the 5D3, making me think it's a better brand for sports shooters. Many Pentax shooters find the ergonomics/layout of the Nikon system to be closer to their Pentaxes. Personally, I find the 5D series to be much more comfortable for my big hands. Canons in my experience have better live view and are better for video. I believe you can adapt Pentax FF glass for Canon but not Nikon.

You might just rent or try some cameras in a store.
02-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
But also keep in mind that you are limited to 9 'non-cpu' lenses with the D600.
Can you explain this? I think about D600 for buy... You want to say, that I cannot use some current lenses with D600?

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
compatibility to old Nikkor manual focus
I need some adapters, or just like on Pentax - mount and go? And I can use some M42 lenses via adapter on Nikon ?

Last edited by Cyberex; 02-20-2013 at 10:45 AM.
02-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cyberex Quote
Can you explain this? I think about D600 for buy... You want to say, that I cannot use some current lenses with D600?

I need some adapters, or just like on Pentax - mount and go? And I can use some M42 lenses via adapter on Nikon ?

The D600 can use the current lenses. And much of the legacy glass. With some limitations, you can mount most Nikon F-mount lenses to the D600. (See links below)

The Nikon non-cpu lenses are the older Ai and Ai-S manual focus lenses. The camera has a menu where you can specify focal length and max aperture for up to 9 of these lenses. So you can just select "lens 2" for example, instead of having to enter "focal length 135mm" and "max aperture f/2.8" each time you mount that lens. Once set up, it saves you some time with less menu-diving. Lenses with a cpu pass that information to the camera automatically.

Not sure about m42 lenses with adapters as I've never tried that.

Here's a couple of references for Nikon lens compatibility:

Nikon SLR Camera and Lens Compatibility

Nikon Lens Compatibility
02-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cyberex Quote
Hello. I want to escape from Pentax (after 4 years) and buy some cheap FF with 24-70/2.8 and 70(80)-200/2.8.
So my question is: what system are better, N or C ?

I believe, Pentax will release FF in future, but I dont want to wait and wait for good ff 2.8 zooms.
If you're going to toy with adapters and legacy lenses, honestly I'd say it's not worth the effort to jump ship. Pentax cameras already give you excellent compatibility with M42 lenses and legacy glass, so I'd take advantage of that!

With that said, Canon has a bit faster AF and overall performance (for sports) while Nikon has better still image quality and also more weather sealed lenses (almost all of their pro AF-S lenses are weather sealed). Coming from Pentax I would recommend the D600, as it'll give you really good image quality at an affordable price.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #13

Original Poster
Thank you very much.

I think D600 would be better choice than MK2 and 6D.

Any advice about lens line ?
Nikon's 24-70 better than Canon's same lens... But only Canon's 70-200 looks better, than 80-200 by Nikon... 70-200 VR cant buy due money limit. :-/
I know, I see, that canon's fixes for portrait looks more "artistic", some canon lens are cheaper that Nikon... Any additional thinks ?

Last edited by Cyberex; 02-20-2013 at 11:37 AM.
02-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I would have a look at the lenses you would like to use, that's why I ended up with Canon. For my preferences Nikon has better ergonomics, but that's personal. From my point of view, no FF is required in the studio - usually you step down anyway and only few people print THAT large...

Regarding those 2.8 zooms - have a look at them in a store, they are huge!
02-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sinister Quote
Regarding those 2.8 zooms - have a look at them in a store, they are huge!
about 24-70 I know, I have Sigma 24-70 2.8 and tokina 28-70 2.8 on pentax - its similar by the size I think...I love zooms and want a quality... While having zooms on Pentax, I don't use a small lims. Focal Length is more important for me than size of lens.
And about 70-200.... I always can sell 70-200 and buy some fix if i tired to carry this lens

Question more in quality of lens by Nikon and Canon... Photozone.de, for example, always like Nikon's lens more, than Canon's (CZ not can be rich at all ))), but this tests more in digits than in feelings from shots...
I look many photos in i-net, and I like many Canon's lens and many Nikon's and still can't make a choice... Body I always can upgrade, but with few lens it's would be more difficult to change a system.