Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2013, 10:55 AM - 2 Likes   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
The problem is Pentax doesn't have any unique selling features any more besides ergonomics (and ergonomics are best tested in person where Pentax doesn't have any B&M presence):
Size? Nope...even a FF Canon 6D is almost the same size as the K-5
Weathersealing? Nope...the D7000 and D7100 addressed this
AF? D7100 added f/8 center AF point for TCs, so that K-5II advantage is out, and the K-3 will probably not have 51 AF points for tracking
more MP? That was the attempt w/ the K20D w/ a 3rd party sensor but Sony has been killing everyone w/ their sensors
"pro" features in a prosumer body? The D7100 has dual slots and more high end features
no AA filter for extra sharpness? The K10D did that w/ a weak AA filtler and K5-IIs pushed it further w/ no AA filter. D7100 has no AA filter.
horizon virtual level? Yep, they have it now too

You need unique selling features to attract consumers to your ecosystem. Otherwise, your ecosystem just keeps shrinking...

The D7100 is really good and will be hard to top at this price point. Only things I think are really missing are the AF-ON button, focus peaking, pixel mapping, and 1080/60p video...
Rapid innovation and dropping prices is good for consumers...not so great for companies that are at the top tier...
I have no doubt the D7100 is a decent body. You are correct about consumer inability to see and hold Pentax gear - and IMHO that is the biggest hurdle to more people choosing Pentax.

Uniqueness? Pentax has that - even if their camera body doesn't one-up the newest from Nikon and Canon. I've heard other system users complaining of a lack of smaller high-quality lenses designed for their APS-C format, and hate having to buy the expensive/ large/ heavy full-frame pro glass like the 24-70 and 70-200 f/2.8 lenses. When it is pointed out that Pentax does have APS-C equivalents like the 16-50/2.8 and 50-135/2.8 weather resistant lenses with good glass, and the DA Limited primes - they are surprised (or just dismiss Pentax outright). Pentax is still out-of-sight, out-of-mind. Getting the gear into people's hands is key.

Everyone I have shown my K-5 and DA Limiteds has been surprised at the build quality and the feel - the 35 macro was of particular interest to one person who spent almost 30 minutes playing with that combo and making comments like "This is so cool! No one else has this. Wow. This is cool!". Pentax is now on all of their "lists" to be considered as possible camera purchases when they upgrade. They had all forgotten about Pentax because they never see the brand anywhere (other than P&S). Again - getting the gear into people's hands is key.

And this is where I think Pentax is still miserably dropping the ball.

02-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
You don't have to buy both, you know. D7000 price will be reduced, so it's just more options.
Yeah, I don't get that comment either. There are legitimate ways Nikon is milking the customer i.e. $400+ for a grip or $250+ for a tripod collar. Offering more choices at different price points is only a good thing.
02-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually, it looks like the mag alloy is only the top and rear and the rest is polycarbonate? +1 for Pentax.
02-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #34
Banned

Nikon announces advanced WR-1 radio remote control

QuoteQuote:
Alongside the D7100, Nikon announced the WR-1 Transceiver, a unique wireless remote control. Able to remotely control multiple cameras capturing stills and videos, even time-lapse sequences, the Nikon WR-1 Transceiver mounts on the camera's hot shoe, yet is controlled via a cable attached to the master camera. Communicating with other remotes via its 2.4 GHz radio, the device can control other WR-1 units as well as other elements of Nikon's wireless remote control system, like the WR-10.

Mounted on the hot shoe, the WR-1 can lean forward 90 degrees, or stand upright for easier access to the controls and LCD. The WR-1 can be used as a transmitter or receiver, with a range of 394 feet. Overall range can be doubled by adding at least two additional WR-1 units, with the middle unit acting as a relay controller. The range of possibilities is extensive, including controlling cameras in up to four groups simultaneously, with each group performing different functions, including interval shooting, stills, bulb exposures beyond the usual limitation of 30 seconds, and even video capture.

Other options include staggered release using multiple WR-R10 units as receivers for multi-shot animations as seen in movies like The Matrix. With multiple WR-1 units you can even remotely adjust settings on other WR-1-equipped cameras, including ISO, shooting mode, shutter speed, and aperture.

Expected to retail for £649.99 in the UK, the WR-1 will ship in March 2013 (US pricing has yet to be announced).
Nikon announces advanced WR-1 radio remote control: Digital Photography Review

02-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
Actually, it looks like the mag alloy is only the top and rear and the rest is polycarbonate? +1 for Pentax.
That's correct. Not sure how much difference it makes in the real world, though.
02-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentikonian Quote
I have no doubt the D7100 is a decent body. You are correct about consumer inability to see and hold Pentax gear - and IMHO that is the biggest hurdle to more people choosing Pentax.

Uniqueness? Pentax has that - even if their camera body doesn't one-up the newest from Nikon and Canon. I've heard other system users complaining of a lack of smaller high-quality lenses designed for their APS-C format, and hate having to buy the expensive/ large/ heavy full-frame pro glass like the 24-70 and 70-200 f/2.8 lenses. When it is pointed out that Pentax does have APS-C equivalents like the 16-50/2.8 and 50-135/2.8 weather resistant lenses with good glass, and the DA Limited primes - they are surprised (or just dismiss Pentax outright). Pentax is still out-of-sight, out-of-mind. Getting the gear into people's hands is key.

Everyone I have shown my K-5 and DA Limiteds has been surprised at the build quality and the feel - the 35 macro was of particular interest to one person who spent almost 30 minutes playing with that combo and making comments like "This is so cool! No one else has this. Wow. This is cool!". Pentax is now on all of their "lists" to be considered as possible camera purchases when they upgrade. They had all forgotten about Pentax because they never see the brand anywhere (other than P&S). Again - getting the gear into people's hands is key.

And this is where I think Pentax is still miserably dropping the ball.
I think kenyee is mostly on the mark, actually. The Limiteds are awesome, no doubt, but the other advantages the system had are slowly being eroded by improvements on the Nikon and Canon sides.

And re: the DA 35 Macro, the other brands actually do have it via Tokina (though not the same build quality or options, obviously.
02-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #37
Pentaxian

That's correct. Not sure how much difference it makes in the real world, though.
Even less significant, IMHO, if you want the camera to cost less and in 3 to 4 years later you'll be getting a new DSLR. Sure, some people will need a truly rugged body but I bet a lot of people can get by with less if that does indeed translate into a more affordable camera.
02-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #38
Pentaxian

The price is just obscene.

Funny, how it says "wireless" at the top of that monstrosity while a cobra like cable makes it cumbersome to handle the camera in addition to the hot-shoe being blocked.

Even the K-01 made more sense than this (and is cheaper).

02-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think kenyee is mostly on the mark, actually. The Limiteds are awesome, no doubt, but the other advantages the system had are slowly being eroded by improvements on the Nikon and Canon sides.

And re: the DA 35 Macro, the other brands actually do have it via Tokina (though not the same build quality or options, obviously.
Oh I agree for the most part - sometimes I can be a bit unclear in post responses. And I do agree about the improvements with the other systems as well. I just think Pentax could make a better showing if the gear could get into people's hands as they're shopping - everyone who has handled my K-5 has viewed it favorably. Pentax does have a certain uniqueness and I think that would factor into people's gear decisions, as not everyone makes purchases purely based on specifications. (And I wasn't aware of the Tokina 35... I am now. Thanks!)
02-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #40
Banned

Nikon posts sample images from new D7100

QuoteQuote:
Nikon has just posted a small 6-image sample gallery from the new D7100. The D7100 is a 24MP, APS-C DSLR that does not feature an optical low-pass filter on its sensor. Theoretically, this should increase detail resolution. As well as an unconventional sensor, the D7100 offers a 51-point AF system and a 1.3X crop mode in stills and video capture. The images that Nikon has posted were taken in .NEF raw mode with the D7100 fitted with the AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4G ED VR and AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/4G ED VR.

Although there are only six images in Nikon's D7100 gallery, image quality seems very impressive. Interestingly though, the biggest question about the D7100's image quality - whether the lack of OLPF makes its sensor more prone to moiré - remains unanswered. These samples do not contain the sort of high-frequency, inorganic detail that typically induce the problem. They certainly provide an encouraging look at the new camera's potential though, and we're looking forward to putting the D7100 through our usual gamut of studio and real-world testing as soon as possible. Until then, check out our hands-on preview.
Nikon posts sample images from new D7100: Digital Photography Review

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7100/sample.htm

Last edited by jogiba; 02-21-2013 at 03:36 PM.
02-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentikonian Quote
Oh I agree for the most part - sometimes I can be a bit unclear in post responses. And I do agree about the improvements with the other systems as well. I just think Pentax could make a better showing if the gear could get into people's hands as they're shopping - everyone who has handled my K-5 has viewed it favorably. Pentax does have a certain uniqueness and I think that would factor into people's gear decisions, as not everyone makes purchases purely based on specifications. (And I wasn't aware of the Tokina 35... I am now. Thanks!)
Same goes for the 100/2.8 Macro, 16-50/2.8, and 50-135/2.8, fwiw. I used the two zooms and the 35 on a D300 and it was a potent combo.
02-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #42
Veteran Member

These are real nice. Branches in the river shot are insanely detailed, and the 1000mm effective first shot is also crazy good.
02-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very interested in this - this is the near perfect body for what I shoot. To boot, this opens up the world of the very very tasty Sigma lenses that are not available in pentax mount (120~300 2.8, 150 2.8 macro, etc [although there is a product number for pentax for the macro, just don't see it coming out for pentax anytime in the foreseeable future])...
02-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Those samples - the biplane at an eqfov of 1000mm... looks nice.

Same goes for the 100/2.8 Macro, 16-50/2.8, and 50-135/2.8, fwiw. I used the two zooms and the 35 on a D300 and it was a potent combo.
I have some more research to do...
02-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
yep, but also, in the meantime, Nikon has been building up some decent 1.8 lenses...the 50/1.8, 85/1.8, 24/1.8, etc. They're not Ltd tiny, but they also probably have better edge sharpness because they're lens designers have figured out how to make crazy sharp lenses (starting w/ the 24-70) that weren't possible 10yrs ago.

But the only advantages I seen now w/ the K-3 are:
- in body SR (still a big plus until Canikon release a 24-70/2.8 w/ IS...Canon has released a 24-70/4 w/ SR already and some primes w/ Sr).
- the Ltds (though how useful they are on a FF body is debatable)
- hot pixel remapping (still surprised Canikon owners have to mail their bodies in for this)
- the astrophotography sensor that pivots the sensor w/ star motion

But the previous big advantages that Pentax had are gone...bang for buck, weathersealing, smallest "pro" body, solid feeling non-plasticky prosumer body, weak/no AA filter for added sharpness, etc. This is stuff where you'd easily would recommend Pentax over Canikon.
I'm hoping Pentax proves me wrong in April, but I can't think of something new they could add that would make Pentax recommendations obvious...

p.s., just to be clear, I'm not a basher or a fanboy. I try to be pragmatic. Over the past few years, I've actually been honing my post, lighting, and technique skills, so I'm not that much of a gearhead. I use what works for me...