Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Even less significant, IMHO, if you want the camera to cost less and in 3 to 4 years later you'll be getting a new DSLR. Sure, some people will need a truly rugged body but I bet a lot of people can get by with less if that does indeed translate into a more affordable camera.
I tried the D600 for awhile (which also only has metal on the top and rear. Personally, I thought it was flimsy. Esp. on the bottom on the tripod mount. The K5 and D800 are MUCH studier. I know plastic can be quite strong, but if I'm spending $1k+ on a body, I want metal on those places---especially on the front of the camera if I'm mounting heavy glass. That's just my preference though. I'm sure that most users would not have any issue.

02-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #47
Pentaxian

I'll still be waiting for a D400. And if I'm wrong, in the meantime, I would have saved more, the kinks would've been ironed out of the D7100 and it should be cheaper!
02-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Like I said earlier, I wouldn't be surprised if Pentax bring a sensor that does away with the Bayer filter (up to 70% light loss) and uses the new Panasonic filter to get 100% light to the sensor. Non of these Nikon bodies have focus Peaking either.. so they could add that.

Some possible features that could separate Pentax from the rest. Perhaps we should compile a list before we get too down on them.

Superfast HDR bracketing and in camera processing (would it be possible to gate the sensor 3x during one shot and thus take 3 different exposures?)
focus peaking
Panasonic sensor filter technology
in sensor phase detect focusing
articulated screen
in camera focus bracketing & stacking
in camera Apps capability with possible 'apps store'
DOF & focus caclulator App built in
auto lens AF Fine adjustment.

Last edited by bossa; 02-21-2013 at 06:18 PM.
02-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Like I said earlier, I wouldn't be surprised if Pentax bring a sensor that does away with the Bayer filter (up to 70% light loss) and uses the new Panasonic filter to get 100% light to the sensor. Non of these Nikon bodies have focus Peaking either.. so they could add that.
I don't know much about this tech, but it would be great to see Pentax do something innovative with their K5 update. They will almost have to to remain competitive with the D7100 and later 7Dm2 really making some tough competition.

After using the D800 for awhile, I do think that there is a niche for a D400 (or true D700 replacement). A D800 body with the 24MP sensor built more for speed. But I also have my doubts. My take on it is that Nikon is thinking that the D700 siphoned too many sales from their pro series.

02-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
I don't know much about this tech, but it would be great to see Pentax do something innovative with their K5 update. They will almost have to to remain competitive with the D7100 and later 7Dm2 really making some tough competition.

After using the D800 for awhile, I do think that there is a niche for a D400 (or true D700 replacement). A D800 body with the 24MP sensor built more for speed. But I also have my doubts. My take on it is that Nikon is thinking that the D700 siphoned too many sales from their pro series.
Live view on the D800 is pretty rank. I was hoping they'd upgrade LV with Focus Peaking but I doubt that will happen the way things are going.
02-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Live view on the D800 is pretty rank. I was hoping they'd upgrade LV with Focus Peaking but I doubt that will happen the way things are going.
Has there been a firmware update to the D800? I haven't checked. Live View on the D600 just plain sucked, while it's only acceptable on the D800--you actually get exposure simulation, but it's slow as molasses. My old Canon 5Dm2 with Magic Lantern installed could run circles around these cameras as far as live view is concerned. I'm hoping they improve it with a firmware update. Guess I can't complain too much, it is moving 36MP files around, after all. I can see Nikon coming out with a D4x with dual processors to deal with the 36MP files for speed.
02-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #52
Veteran Member

The firmware hasn't been updated since last May I believe. mine is v1.01 on both D800e's

02-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Like I said earlier, I wouldn't be surprised if Pentax bring a sensor that does away with the Bayer filter (up to 70% light loss) and uses the new Panasonic filter to get 100% light to the sensor.
1. Panasonic has no relationship with Pentax.
2. The tech is unproven, and yet to be commercialized.
3. And from what I've read is more likely to be applied to cheap point & shoots than APS-C or FF sensors.
02-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Amazon.com: Nikon D7100 24.1 MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR (Body Only): Camera & Photo

Retailing at less than $1200...that is $300 less than the K-5 when released 2 years ago.

Jason
02-21-2013, 11:52 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
1. Panasonic has no relationship with Pentax.
2. The tech is unproven, and yet to be commercialized.
3. And from what I've read is more likely to be applied to cheap point & shoots than APS-C or FF sensors.

That tech can be applied to any sensor.
02-22-2013, 02:45 AM   #56
Pentaxian

Panasonic sensor filter technology
This is not nearly as good as it first sounds.

What we need is a true three-way RGB beam splitter at the micro-lens level. The Panasonic scheme is very different and will have problems with colour separation in particular in low light (not unlike the Foveon sensor).
02-22-2013, 02:55 AM   #57
Veteran Member

I will admit to not reading up on this as much as I probably needed to if I were to post with authority.
02-22-2013, 02:59 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Amazon.com: Nikon D7100 24.1 MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR (Body Only): Camera & Photo

Retailing at less than $1200...that is $300 less than the K-5 when released 2 years ago.

Jason
Yes, but the D7000 was priced the same as the K-5 was when it was released. While the D7100 does look pretty nice, it is almost just a K-5ii/s refresh of the model line (like the D300s was)...coming in 2.5 years after the fact. Makes the K-5ii/s refresh look pretty good in retrospect! The pricing also does leave room for a d400 later in the year...of course the alternative to that thought is that Nikon considers the next step to be a d600 from the d7100, and won't even bother with a really high end aps-c model. Time will tell.
02-22-2013, 03:04 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Yes, but the D7000 was priced the same as the K-5 was when it was released. While the D7100 does look pretty nice, it is almost just a K-5ii/s refresh of the model line (like the D300s was)...coming in 2.5 years after the fact. Makes the K-5ii/s refresh look pretty good in retrospect! The pricing also does leave room for a d400 later in the year...of course the alternative to that thought is that Nikon considers the next step to be a d600 from the d7100, and won't even bother with a really high end aps-c model. Time will tell.
The D7000 at release was $1199, body only compared to $1499 for the K-5 body, retail. This was one of the reasons I held off on the K-5 and considered going the Nikon route. Glad I didn't, but am very glad I found the NEX-5n.

Jason
02-22-2013, 03:57 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
yep, but also, in the meantime, Nikon has been building up some decent 1.8 lenses...the 50/1.8, 85/1.8, 24/1.8, etc. They're not Ltd tiny, but they also probably have better edge sharpness because they're lens designers have figured out how to make crazy sharp lenses (starting w/ the 24-70) that weren't possible 10yrs ago.

But the only advantages I seen now w/ the K-3 are:
- in body SR (still a big plus until Canikon release a 24-70/2.8 w/ IS...Canon has released a 24-70/4 w/ SR already and some primes w/ Sr).
- the Ltds (though how useful they are on a FF body is debatable)
- hot pixel remapping (still surprised Canikon owners have to mail their bodies in for this)
- the astrophotography sensor that pivots the sensor w/ star motion

But the previous big advantages that Pentax had are gone...bang for buck, weathersealing, smallest "pro" body, solid feeling non-plasticky prosumer body, weak/no AA filter for added sharpness, etc. This is stuff where you'd easily would recommend Pentax over Canikon.
I'm hoping Pentax proves me wrong in April, but I can't think of something new they could add that would make Pentax recommendations obvious...

p.s., just to be clear, I'm not a basher or a fanboy. I try to be pragmatic. Over the past few years, I've actually been honing my post, lighting, and technique skills, so I'm not that much of a gearhead. I use what works for me...
I fully agree with you that Pentax has lost some of their USPs To be honest, if I'd start again, I'd go for that Nikon....