Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Funny...

04-06-2013, 03:39 AM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
To aloy vs pol debate, I had 1D3 rolling down the metal stairs of escaltor. Full length of it some 8-10m, apparently step by step. It had EF28/1.8 attacched. Lens ended up a bit wobbly but fully functional (I ended up having it repaired and soldy) and camera had few light scratches onbody. No dents or such. I have to say considering the weight of 1D3 I was amazed and I doubt my old K10 or K-7 would have managed to surive this incident so well...

PS: I didn't drop the camera. It fell out of the pram when Mrs pushed it onto the escalator. I only know of this story from her account of it
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Counterpoint:

My Nikon D700, with the Samyang 35mm f/1.4 attached, fell over and landed hard on the filter ring of the lens, with all the camera's weight behind it. The plastic was dented and the focusing ring stuck a bit at first, but I was able to smooth it back out with use and it still performs perfectly today.
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
My K-5 toppled over whilst mounted on a tripod at 1.8m due to a gust of wind whilst I was sifting in the camera bag looking for a lens. The camera took a direct hit onto the corner where the mode dial is and fortunately did not involve the lens that was mounted on it. A dent in the mode dial and a couple of corner scratches were the extent if damage. I like to consider myself fortunate no further damage was done, but I have often wondered how many other cameras would have survived that fall. I'm thinking close to none.
(Taking notes who not to buy used gear from).
04-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
K-5IIs images are definitely quieter for noise...
Does this have anything to do with the denser pixels? That was my first thought...
04-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Though I believe the D7100 is a lot lot faster than the IIs....
The D7100's focus system is not even close...hare vs. tortoise. It's the D800's focusing unit. And people have said it does better than Canon's 1D.
But it seems to have Nikon's QC quirks again...there's sensor blooming. Someone on dpreview posted images of horizontal blinds and the blinds seem to have projected onto a flat wall parallel to them where they shouldn't have...

Pentax has a large bridge to cross w/ the K-3 or whatever it is...

04-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #80
Veteran Member

For such a small company Pentax has done very well with the IQ on apc cameras but need to catch up a bit on AF, and full frame would be great even though I dont need it..
I am happy I choice Pentax but eagerly await there next camera to see what the future holds even thought I do not need a new camera yet..
04-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Does this have anything to do with the denser pixels? That was my first thought...
Probably.
04-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Although I find the reviewers way of talking very slow - interesting non the less.

It bothers me that they changed the sensor to a Toshiba one when sony have a brilliant 24mp sensor as used in the Nex7 - I wonder why Nikon took this decision?

At least with Canon all their sensors are in-house and you know what you are getting

Nikon d7100 vs Pentax K5 IIs Image test - YouTube
04-17-2013, 06:41 AM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
The D7100's focus system is not even close...hare vs. tortoise.
Which one is the hare and which is the tortoise?

I picked up the D7100 yesterday just out of curiosity...it fels fantasrtic in my hand. Maybe that is because I have been carrying the NEX-5n pretty much exclusively for the past year and a half, but for some reason it felt much nicer than my K-7 did, Although I dont miss the weight and bulk of a DSLR combo one bit.

Jason

04-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
At least with Canon all their sensors are in-house and you know what you are getting
Yep, one that has terrible dynamic range in the shadows?
Canon really hasn't been able to keep up w/ Sony's sensor tech....though they have better video support (which is beaten by Panasonic's GH series).

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Which one is the hare and which is the tortoise?
The D7100 has the next generation of the AF module from Nikon's D300/D700. It's not even a contest for AF-C sports shooting...
04-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
The D7100 has the next generation of the AF module from Nikon's D300/D700.
It is supposed to be much the same system used by the D4 - 'the same 51-point autofocus system as found in the Nikon D4', 'the autofocus algorithms from the D4' etc (from various reviews). So the D7100 should be an AF demon.
04-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
So the D7100 should be an AF demon
It really is, the AF system is extremely advanced and pin-point accurate. I haven't even been through all of the AF modes yet but the ones I have tried are spot on! Here are a couple shots with the D7100 - the second one was flying towards me pretty fast and continuous stayed with the shot without missing a beat, nailed it right in the face and eyes.

04-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #87
Veteran Member

Great stuff Joe. Which lens did you use for these shots?

I'm weighing up whether it's worth getting a D7100 for the extra resolution I would get from my AF-S 300/4 TC-14E II combo.

Crop mode on the D800E is only 15MP (a FF 500 or 600mm lens costs a small fortune) and whilst I like my AF-S 300mm, I'm not sure how that combo would go at 24MP. Still, it's way cheaper than a 600/4 or even a 500/4 I suppose.

I'd appreciate some advice on this if possible.

Cheers
Steve
04-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Steve, they were both shot with the Sigma 300 2.8, handheld, no TC.

I forgot to mention that when I posted those seeing the comments were about AF speed and accuracy. Touching on that real quick, there is no question that the speed and accuracy of the D7100 is nothing less than top notch, pretty phenomenal really. Handholding the 5+lb Sigma 300, shooting from a kayak on a wave'y river day, no stabilization in the lens and still nailing those shots just goes to show how accurate and fast the AF system really is (used only single point continuous) - handholding this beast of a lens with no OS is like handholding an 800mm lens on a pentax body, the slightest sliver of movement looks like you changed the VF framing 10+ ft...

I do have the matched 1.4 TC for the sigma and have shot some with it, I will see if I can pull some samples when I get home. As for IQ when using the 300 with the 1.4, it is still pretty outstanding and from what I can tell near zero loss in IQ - i would imagine your combo would perform just as good.

So far, there is nothing that I do not like about the D7100, the feature set is just incredible, I have had it for just about a month now and I am still finding new features on this thing.
04-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #89
Veteran Member

Thanks for the detailed response mate...
04-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #90
Veteran Member

The D7100 looks like a great camera, I hope the K-3 will be equally impressive..