Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As an ex Pentax user my self (K-7) I'll comment on a few points:
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
- First and Foremost, Features!
The features packed into the D7100 are without a doubt extremely impressive and is lightyears ahead of the K5. I won't really go into the features in detail, but to be able to customise the rotational direction of the dials is just one of the many features found in this thing and should give a hint of how flexible and detailed the options are in this body, you can TRULY make this thing yours [customized to your liking]. Although I never felt the need to customise my Pentax as much as I do the Nikons, Pentax seemed to get tit right for me.

- Sensor
Obviously, the sensor is a plus. One of the biggest pluses is the post cropping flexibility with these larger mp sensors - I can crop big and still retain large print sizes in excess of 300dpi, this has really helped in my gallery work. Also, one huge area where this sensor trumps the K5's sensor is in detail, especially when using NR - I can see practically no loss in detail when using LR's noise reduction with shots in excess of 4000iso (this is also noted on DPReview's review of this body/sensor). Sharpening is another plus, it seems that this sensor also allows for finer and cleaner sharpening, K5 outputs easily show sharpening artifacts when pushing sharpening to it's max, the D7100 outputs seem to show near zero sharpening artifacts even after pushing sharpening to it's limits with much cleaner edges and contrast transitions. Is the NR and sharpening thing related to the number of pixels?

- AF
Well, really not much to explain here, the AF system is a pro system from the flagship D4, that says enough. Yep, way better than the K-7, and the K-5.

- Size
For me, the larger size is a plus, when using the K5 without a grip, my pinky does not rest on the lower part of the body grip, this is not the case with the D7100. With the K5 I need a battery grip attached for my average size [glove size medium] hand in order for my pinky to rest comfortably, with the D7100 I do not need the battery grip for this. Though to be fair lots prefer the smaller size of the Pentax

- AF Adjustments
You can set values at [+/-]20, you can also set different values for a lens and TC combo, another really nice feature. Pentax has AF adjustment too.

MY K5 Pro's VS D7100

- Memory Buffer Size
The buffer size is quite a bit better. Heaps better

- TAV Mode
Not available on the D7100, however it can be somewhat mimicked on the D7100 but it is kind of a pain. I used to use TAv mode all the time for sport. Nikon can't understand what "manual" mode means. Yes you can achieve the same thing on the Nikon, but nowhere near as elegantly, and at least on Pentax manual mode means manual.

05-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Is the NR and sharpening thing related to the number of pixels?
You know, that is a good question - that really can be the only thing that explains it. I noticed a pretty sizable jump in NR-2-Detail'Preservation a long time ago going from the *ist to the Kx, I also noticed a sizable jump in the same from the Kx to the K5, and now I am noticing the same thing from the K5 16mp sensor to the D7100 24mp sensor.

Pentax has AF adjustment too
Yes, I don't think it can do lens and TC combos though (I could be wrong on that).

Heaps better
Yes.

I used to use TAv mode all the time for sport. Nikon can't understand what "manual" mode means. Yes you can achieve the same thing on the Nikon, but nowhere near as elegantly, and at least on Pentax manual mode means manual.
Yes, agreed!
05-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #108
Veteran Member

My D800E's can certainly save AF Fine Adjusts for lens/TC combos.
05-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #109
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Any of you guys feel the D7100's body grip is too sharp? I tried holding it for a while and it just didn't feel comfortable :-P
Another thing it's missing is hot-pixel mapping...sensors eventually develop hot pixels.

05-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
My D800E's can certainly save AF Fine Adjusts for lens/TC combos.
Yes, the 7100 also can save for combos.
05-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
In picture #1, the orange shirt in the background. I've seen that before even on my film shots from post processing. I think its applying too much clarity in editing - smears it, perhaps.
I've got that lens and haven't seen Bokeh like that from my D800E.
05-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Any of you guys feel the D7100's body grip is too sharp? I tried holding it for a while and it just didn't feel comfortable :-P
Another thing it's missing is hot-pixel mapping...sensors eventually develop hot pixels.
No, so far it has seemed pretty comfortable to me. I didn't mention the lack of hot-pixel mapping because honestly I have never ever had a need for it, on any of my bodies including the K5 with 80k shots I just sold.
05-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #113
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I've got that lens and haven't seen Bokeh like that from my D800E.
Me three. It must be popular.