Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2013, 08:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sony SLT-A58 [20.1 Exmor HD CMOS] (??Maybe K3 Sensor??)

Could this sensor be the sensor released in the K3?

New Sony Releases: SLT-A58, NEX-3N, Cyber-shot Digital Cameras and Alpha Lenses | BH inDepth

Can anyone verify that the new D7100 sensor is even made by Sony? If so, that is interesting that Sony would put out two new sensors and opt for the apparent less powerful/featureless one for their lineup...

02-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Can anyone verify that the new D7100 sensor is even made by Sony?
I read its a Toshiba sensor, not Sony.
D7100 sensor is from Toshiba
02-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I read its a Toshiba sensor, not Sony.
So now the thinking would be that the K3 sensor could possibly be this new one by Sony - I can't imagine Ricoh very active recently with sony (the II and IIs sensor) and jumping ship to an entirely new vendor so quick.
02-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

and jumping ship to an entirely new vendor so quick.
I don't think there is necessarily a lot of loyalty in that business, so I wouldn't be surprised if Pentax went with a different vendor, if it can give a better price.
But the 16MP Sony sensor that Pentax used in K-5, K-01 and K-30 is pretty great, and Pentax really squeezed a lot out of it. Hopefully the next sensor they choose will perform equally good, relative to the competition. I think now they pretty much have to have more than 16MP, but I would rather see them improve the DR a lot instead of going over 24MP

02-27-2013, 04:48 AM   #5
axl
Veteran Member

I don't think there is necessarily a lot of loyalty in that business, so I wouldn't be surprised if Pentax went with a different vendor, if it can give a better price.
But the 16MP Sony sensor that Pentax used in K-5, K-01 and K-30 is pretty great, and Pentax really squeezed a lot out of it. Hopefully the next sensor they choose will perform equally good, relative to the competition. I think now they pretty much have to have more than 16MP, but I would rather see them improve the DR a lot instead of going over 24MP
Improve DR a lot? From the 16mpx EXMOR? Good luck anytime soon. Improve? Yes. A lot? Doubt it...
02-27-2013, 07:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Improve DR a lot? From the 16mpx EXMOR? Good luck anytime soon. Improve? Yes. A lot? Doubt it...
Well I just think that is the biggest problem with sensors these days. In terms of MP/detail, they are pretty much great, hitting the limits of the lenses. Noise performance is pretty great. But DR is something that the digital medium is still not quite as good as other mediums. But yes, this would probably require a new generation of sensors, I just meant that I would rather see them invest in things other than just a high MP count
03-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #7
Banned

Unless the two possible sensors we're thinking about function with noise levels as low as our Sony 16mp and unless they have similar levels of clean shadow recovery and highlight recovery, it could be a step backwards. The MP doesn't bother me as much, but I want that clean output and I want highly recoverable files.

Good thing, in a worst-case scenario, it's a buyer's market with plenty of NOS on hand and a Mark II variant to ensure more of the same. So we'll be covered.

03-07-2013, 06:06 AM   #8
Banned

Photos: Albums
hitting the limits of the lenses
Unfortunately no. Not anywhere near hitting the limits on lenses.

Oops

Let me restate that, not near the limits on quality lens optics, aperatures, and all.

Well aware that all Pentax digital is also not yet full frame, but... Take a look at items such as the flagship Nikons and Canon's. Both of those comapnies offer their higher end lenses that could also easily handlea 50++ mp image (not a typo). One met an astronomer (worked directly with Brashear) who has in the past had the ability to modify some (current) full frame digital lens to work even on large format - but with bellows. Seems to work just swell.
03-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
Unless the two possible sensors we're thinking about function with noise levels as low as our Sony 16mp and unless they have similar levels of clean shadow recovery and highlight recovery, it could be a step backwards.
They would have to perform better:

Sony Sensor - I don't see Sony pushing a new sensor that does not perform as good as their award winning sensor, it would most certainly have to be superior to the older sensor.
Toshiba Sensor - I think that everyone can agree that Nikon will not be using this sensor as an upgrade to the Sony sensor (D7000 and K5 sensor) if it was not a superior sensor.

As for noise performance, the old argument of "higher mp = worse noise performance" is pretty much out the window with today's sensors...
03-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #10
Banned

They would have to perform better:

Sony Sensor - I don't see Sony pushing a new sensor that does not perform as good as their award winning sensor, it would most certainly have to be superior to the older sensor.
Toshiba Sensor - I think that everyone can agree that Nikon will not be using this sensor as an upgrade to the Sony sensor (D7000 and K5 sensor) if it was not a superior sensor.

As for noise performance, the old argument of "higher mp = worse noise performance" is pretty much out the window with today's sensors...
I'm the last person that would be "allergic" to megapixels.

I would like low-noise performance, shadow and highlight recovery first and foremost.

Also we're still hitting a data wall the more MP we're using. Not only memory, but also writing and transfer capacity within the device.
03-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
Also we're still hitting a data wall the more MP we're using. Not only memory, but also writing and transfer capacity within the device.
The D7100 is suppose to be released on the 14th, I have one on pre-order, I am sooooooo looking forward to testing the performance of it...
03-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #12
Banned

The D7100 is suppose to be released on the 14th, I have one on pre-order, I am sooooooo looking forward to testing the performance of it...
I'm eager to know, too. I'm considering making the jump to Nikon myself.