Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sony NEX as digital back for Pentax 645N

I saw this on SonyAlphaRumors. It is interesting, but not for the price.

Vizelex RhinoCam for Sony NEX E-Mount Cameras

03-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It is interesting. Not totally outrageous in price considering some of the competition, like Zoerk.
03-07-2013, 04:26 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Seems a bit dumb to pay for a lens with a large image circle which you're only ever sampling a small fraction of at a time. If you're gonna stitch anyway, why not stick with a lens that just covers your sensor and pivot the whole shebang around the node as in a normal panohead arrangement?
03-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by russell2pi Quote
Seems a bit dumb to pay for a lens with a large image circle which you're only ever sampling a small fraction of at a time. If you're gonna stitch anyway, why not stick with a lens that just covers your sensor and pivot the whole shebang around the node as in a normal panohead arrangement?
I've never used a pano head before. I would guess that they are billing this as easier to use, but after looking it up the pano head probably would be a lot more useful.

03-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Also, my understanding is that medium format lenses don't need to resolve as much as our newfangled APS-C/FF lenses - excepting that new Pentax DFA 90 macro.
03-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by russell2pi Quote
This device allows for a flat stitch, which results in fewer (none?) stitch aberations. With a pano head you have to be constantly aware of keeping the camera level, insuring that it is mounted so it pivots around the nodal point, and worry about optical distortions in creating the stitch.

In a flat stitch, distortions are reduced because you are moving the sensor in a parallel plane to the subject vs. in an arc around it.

The RhinoCam isn't for 360° panos, or spherical panos, it's for creating a much larger flat image with which to make large prints. The two really aren't competing directly with each other, they are complimentary.

As far as using a MF lens vs. a APS-C lens it's the same argument for using a FF lens vs. a APS-C lens- you're in the sweet spot. So why the larger format lens? When you move the lens off-axis you need the larger image circle to cover the sensor at the extremes of shift of the lens (or in this case the body, since the lens doesn't move the body does).
03-08-2013, 03:04 AM   #7
Pentaxian

The death of scan backs?

Interesting twist to scan backs which has almost the same drawback of speed.
Certainly cheaper.

I just wonder if its worth the price over pano stitch other than not having to move the sensor plane.
Both require moving the camera around; takes some time (though not too long)
A pano stitch can already produce very good quality despite the digital manipulations needed to move each frame about to stitch.

Perhaps something similar will come out from China......

03-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
The death of scan backs?
No...this type of tech has been around for a few years. The sticking point is the quality of the stitch. Very good quality is not the same as commercially acceptable quality.

Steve
03-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
Pentaxian

That looks like a fantastic thing to stick on the back of my Pentax 645. 140 MP, wow, 3.5 times larger than a 645D. As far as I know that would be by far the cheapest digital MF solution of it's kind, even if I had to buy a NEX 7 to get it.
03-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That looks like a fantastic thing to stick on the back of my Pentax 645. 140 MP, wow, 3.5 times larger than a 645D. As far as I know that would be by far the cheapest digital MF solution of it's kind, even if I had to buy a NEX 7 to get it.
Except that the linked product is a specialty MF lens adapter with a sliding back that is capable of accepting a NEX on the backend. Other cameras/sensors/lenses are compatible with appropriate adapters. The short story is that Fotodiox can adapt a Pentax A(FA) 645 lens to this setup, but that is the only Pentax contribution to the equation. Pretty cool solution, though for people who already own 645 glass and need a decent stitch-based solution for panos.

Rhinocam: $500
P 645 adapter: $100
NEX 7 body: $1000

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-17-2013 at 06:40 PM.
03-18-2013, 06:47 AM   #11
Pentaxian

If it worked with my K-01 I'd be interested. If I was going to get it as it is, I'd save $500 and use a Nex 5n, and save on file size. You don't get a lot of extra resolution for going to 24 Mp, and the camera would be pretty much overkill in any case.
03-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If it worked with my K-01 I'd be interested. If I was going to get it as it is, I'd save $500 and use a Nex 5n, and save on file size. You don't get a lot of extra resolution for going to 24 Mp, and the camera would be pretty much overkill in any case.
Since you already have the lenses, a used 5n would probably only set you back $250.