Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
The exception to your exception would be that if you had the iPad, you would use it to take a subject matter within it's own limitations. A good photographer wouldn't just use the lesser means for the fun of it -- they'd know exactly how to use it, when to use it, and when not to.
And would know not to complain about the things it couldn't do.

04-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The exception to your exception would be that if you had the iPad, you would use it to take a subject matter within it's own limitations. A good photographer wouldn't just use the lesser means for the fun of it -- they'd know exactly how to use it, when to use it, and when not to.
Definitely true! The iPad is good for quick snapshots in good light, but for anything where IQ matters, I'm going to one of my "real" cameras for that.
04-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #78
Veteran Member

I don't know why people keep trying to justify not buying this or that but I'll tell you this; Art is about ART, not the tools.
04-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #79
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I don't know why people keep trying to justify not buying this or that but I'll tell you this; Art is about ART, not the tools.
I think I get your point. I would love to do art, and more specific, art with my cameras. However, sadly, I am not an artist. Maybe they are born, maybe they develop over time, I have no idea, but you probably know if you are one, and also if you're not.
That should not limit you in attempting to make good photos, and enjoy your "snapping" just as millions of golfers enjoy their game with no hope of ever being a Pro or setting any records. Most shooters I see are not Pros, and never will be, but they might develop good skills over time and can make contributions to others, and themselves, with a dedicated agenda and some decent equipment......which does not have to be "high end" or "high dollar" equipment, only sufficient to get the job done.

Many of us have an eye for excellence in photography, but lack the eye to obtain those same results. Still, the photo you took of little Johnny at his birthday party may have more value to his Granny than a Van Gogh, so it is not without value and we are not without purpose. It's not "Art", but it is passion, and passion can be a powerful force.

Regards!

04-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #80
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
The more stuff you buy, the more you have to spend.... if it weren't for that i'd own every camera on the planet.
04-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This book is by someone I know from my favorite doll board. She took photos of her doll and wrote a children's book about Mary and her adventures. It's both a photographic thing and a doll thing and I'm very happy that it's selling for her. It was a really cute idea...

Mary the Doll: Wendy Reiswig Bailey: 9781300188209: Amazon.com: Books
04-07-2013, 02:11 AM   #82
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

One of my most favourite candid shots of my children came from my iPhone. It is obviously not the IQ, it's the moment, those unique poses and arrangements that can't be set up again. It has just enough IQ to be printed at 8x10" without too much loss of detail to not appreciate the photo, and of course it would have looked better if shot by my K-5 + FA 31, but the moment wouldn't have waited for me to get the camera ready and shoot the once in a lifetime scene. So to an extent, the best camera is the one you have in your hands at the time - my caveat is that it's the camera you have ready to capture your once in a lifetime moments.

04-07-2013, 03:57 AM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
One of my most favourite candid shots of my children came from my iPhone. It is obviously not the IQ, it's the moment, those unique poses and arrangements that can't be set up again. It has just enough IQ to be printed at 8x10" without too much loss of detail to not appreciate the photo, and of course it would have looked better if shot by my K-5 + FA 31, but the moment wouldn't have waited for me to get the camera ready and shoot the once in a lifetime scene. So to an extent, the best camera is the one you have in your hands at the time - my caveat is that it's the camera you have ready to capture your once in a lifetime moments.
As the old saying goes: the best camera is the one you have with you.....
04-07-2013, 07:44 AM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
So to an extent, the best camera is the one you have in your hands at the time - my caveat is that it's the camera you have ready to capture your once in a lifetime moments.
When your gorgeous little model goes from this.....
[IMG] [/IMG]

To a chocolate craving maniac like this, you are glad to have any camera on earth with you!
[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

It's the other side of glamor....not often seen!

Regards!
04-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #85
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Someone is going to have to do laundry.
04-12-2013, 04:36 AM   #86
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I think I get your point. I would love to do art, and more specific, art with my cameras. However, sadly, I am not an artist. Maybe they are born, maybe they develop over time, I have no idea, but you probably know if you are one, and also if you're not.
That should not limit you in attempting to make good photos, and enjoy your "snapping" just as millions of golfers enjoy their game with no hope of ever being a Pro or setting any records. Most shooters I see are not Pros, and never will be, but they might develop good skills over time and can make contributions to others, and themselves, with a dedicated agenda and some decent equipment......which does not have to be "high end" or "high dollar" equipment, only sufficient to get the job done.

Many of us have an eye for excellence in photography, but lack the eye to obtain those same results. Still, the photo you took of little Johnny at his birthday party may have more value to his Granny than a Van Gogh, so it is not without value and we are not without purpose. It's not "Art", but it is passion, and passion can be a powerful force.

Regards!
I feel like the photographer who is a skilled artist pays more careful attention to composition and subject matter, while the non-artist as you mention, focuses on the technical details of the shot. The artist puts the camera to their eye and it's framing they're thinking about, while the non-artist is thinking about the settings of the camera. The artist uses the technical aspects as a secondary tool, and the non-artist goes into every shot with "which setting should I tweak right now?". The artist can take any type of camera, pick it up for the first time, and press the shutter immediately, snapping the intended shot first try. The non-artist grabs a new camera, has to look it over carefully, and make sure everything is set before pressing the shutter.

Both can love photography, but to the artist, it comes more naturally, and the non-artist has to work a little harder.

I guess the moral of the story is just shoot, and if you're still at the point of thinking too heavily about setting up the shot or tweaking the shot in post production, then maybe you're not at the point where you've mastered the "art" of photography.

Just my two cents.
04-12-2013, 04:51 AM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
A RAW file is more like an empty canvas than a finished product.
To use the analogy used by Ansel Adams - who was a classically trained pianist - "the negative is the score, the print is the performance"
04-12-2013, 06:29 AM   #88
Veteran Member

I feel like the photographer who is a skilled artist pays more careful attention to composition and subject matter, while the non-artist as you mention, focuses on the technical details of the shot.
K9....I believe you nailed it there. I try to do both, but I still have trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time, so I most often fail.
Maybe others have another problem that always seems to cause me grief. I can get so excited about shooting that I forget to even check my settings, and then end up sorely disappointed in my results. It seems elementary to check first, but I still find myself making this mistake when I get excited about a new shooting opportunity.....of course, some lovely models can add to that confusion.....
[IMG] [/IMG]

Digitalis ......I'm in full and complete agreement. If you want to get serious, you need to shoot Raw, it has saved me more times than I can count.

Regards!