Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2013, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Honestly, the Canon Rebels are small enough as it is. The problem Canon has currently is that they have fallen behind in sensor technology behind Sony and, I guess, Toshiba. They have been flogging the same sensor with minor adjustments for the last 3 to 4 years. It was nice when it came out, but at this point, it would be like Pentax releasing a new camera with a K7 sensor in a smaller body.

03-21-2013, 06:13 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I'd say it's a better product than the pathetic EOS-M mirrorless. The sensor in it must be pretty tired by now for new models. At the risk of being sexist, they will sell a lot of these to girls who want good IQ but don't want a huge camera. However, I'd be very surprised if it has anything other than the typical Canon Rebel build quality, which rules it out in my book. With Canon, you need to get a pro body to get anything that doesn't feel like a toy.
03-21-2013, 07:05 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I don't to see the issue with this camera. It is what it is. A basic, soon to be very cheap, small entry level dSLR. It's not designed for enthusiasts, pros or people like us who hang out on forums. In fact Pentax would do well to offer a similar camera, perhaps with a better build and some unique Pentax features.
03-21-2013, 07:20 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For me, Canon seems to not innovate anymore : the last two rebel (650D and 700D / T4i and T5i) are almost identical. the EOS-M is a failure on the market IMHO. this EOS SLi doesn't semm to inspire people because to much like a a 650D spec in a 350D body.

Canon is a big company, and so far a leading actor on the market, but the competitor like Sony (with SSM and weathersealed lens) are pushing hard Canikon on every aspect (FF / lens / mirrorless / compact). The next few years will be decisive for big actor

03-21-2013, 08:05 AM   #20
JPT
Pentaxian

Aiming this camera at women seems like a very sensible marketing decision. Canon seems to be the brand of choice amongst women in Japan. You could argue that all the other cameras are designed for male hands. Women are hardly a minor niche, so I think this will do very well.

The thing that bothers me is what they have done to get the weight down. There's something funny about the mount - looks like it's made of plastic hidden behind metal. Look at this picture.
????EOS Kiss X7?????? - ????info
03-21-2013, 09:11 AM   #21
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The problem Canon has currently is that they have fallen behind in sensor technology behind Sony and, I guess, Toshiba
Perhaps in the Rebel line; but Canon has four slr's - all much better sensors than anything that Pentax offers outside of the outdated Pentax medium format
03-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
The viewfinder is actually bigger than the EOS 700D / Rebel T5i's one: same coverage (95%) but bigger magnification (0.87x instead of 0.85x).

(Pentax K-r: 96% coverage and 0.85x magnification; K-30 and K-5: 100% coverage and 0.92x magnification)
You should also note that Canon "APS-C" is smaller than Pentax/Nikon/Sony "APS-C", so even if a Canon APS-C VF has the same coverage and magnification numbers, it will appear smaller.

03-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #23
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
epic fail
absolutely empty camera. real mediocrity
Certainly not as interesting as the 1Dx, but having a compact intro-level DSLR is better than not having any intro-level bodies, right?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Perhaps in the Rebel line; but Canon has four slr's - all much better sensors than anything that Pentax offers outside of the outdated Pentax medium format
And in what way are Canon sensors better than the ones Pentax uses (Sony sensors)? Every DxOMark test shows the opposite.
03-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Not everyone has small hands. I have LARGE hands. I like my K200D with the BG-3 grip. It's comfortable to handle. Any smaller would be too small for me. Heck XXL groves are usually too small for my hands.
03-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I actually don't think the SL1 looks all that bad. The selling point is that it's super compact. I mean, Rebels are small to begin with, so this must be absolutely tiny.

That said, the new T5i looks incredibly underwhelming. I had to read the spec list at least a few times to try to figure out what was different over the T4i. LIkely problem is that they haven't upgraded the higher end crop bodies in a long time, and they don't want to cannibalize those sales.
03-21-2013, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
I mean, Rebels are small to begin with, so this must be absolutely tiny.
Have you ever held a K-2000 or K-x? The SL1 is 5mm narrower, 0.5mm shorter and 3mm deeper than the K-x. It's 200g lighter without battery or card than the K-x with batteries and card. The K-x feels very solid in the hand, any bets on how solid the SL1 is going to feel? And even the K-x has 11 AF points, the SL1 only has 9. They even skimped on the buffer. The K-x could do 5 fps, the SL1 can only do 4.

K-x - 122.5 x 91.5 x 67.5mm

SL1 - 117 x 91 x 69mm

I bet the K-x has longer battery life with AA Lithiums as well.

If Pentax were to release a new low-end with specs comparable to the K-x/K-r with a 16MP sensor it would blow the SL1 away. Especially since the rumors have it at a $400 price point.

Last edited by boriscleto; 03-21-2013 at 11:29 AM.
03-21-2013, 11:26 AM   #28

So, was the K-r (or K-x or K-2000) the previous "smallest DSLR in the world"?

Last edited by CRPhoto; 03-21-2013 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Added kr and k2000
03-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Have you ever held a K-2000 or K-x? The SL1 is 5mm narrower, 0.5mm shorter and 3mm deeper than the K-x. It's 200g lighter without battery or card than the K-x with batteries and card. The K-x feels very solid in the hand, any bets on how solid the SL1 is going to feel? And even the K-x has 11 AF points, the SL1 only has 9. They even skimped on the buffer. The K-x could do 5 fps, the SL1 can only do 4.

K-x - 122.5 x 91.5 x 67.5mm

SL1 - 117 x 91 x 69mm

I bet the K-x has longer battery life with AA Lithiums as well.

If Pentax were to release a new low-end with specs comparable to the K-x/K-r with a 16MP sensor it would blow the SL1 away. Especially since the rumors have it at a $400 price point.
Well, this camera isn't impressive from a Pentax perspective, which already features many small DSLRs. But if you're a Canon shooter, I can see the allure. Seems like the SL1 would make for a nice compact backup camera if you already have EF glass. Might keep some people from buying a smaller format.
03-21-2013, 11:49 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
I assume you are speaking of their full frame cameras. But even there, the Sony sensors that Pentax is currently using are better at low iso than the Canon full frames. The Sony full frame sensors (which of course Pentax doesn't use) spank the Canons up and down the street. I have a hard time knowing why anyone would go with a 5D Mk III over a D800 at this point.