Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #1

Choosing a Film Body

I can't decide on these compact film bodies:

Minolta XD-11 - Shutter sounds great. Lenses are pretty cheap.
Olympus OM-1 - Quiet shutter? Youtube videos seem quiet. Good lenses but they aren't as cheap.
Pentax ME Super - We all know about this one. Great viewfinder. Plus I have a few lenses for it. However I'm concerned about the shutter. I played with a Pentax ME and shutter was loud and aggressive (shakes the camera).

I'm going to bid on an OM-1 today or an XD-11 over the weekend. Can't decide. Don't say buy both

Or should I get a Pentax MX? The more I read the more I like. But my main concern is the shutter sound. I really dislike loud cameras.

03-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want quiet, then this is so quiet, you wonder if a photo has been taken. There are many advantages to a Range Finder like this.
03-26-2013, 06:16 PM   #3

Original Poster
I have too many rangefinders. I'm lookin to get a nice quality yet reasonably priced SLR now.
03-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My film body for the last 20 years has been a Minolta X-700 with a few MD Rokkor primes, quite satisfied with it. I picked up a few various K1000's along the way, but always end up returning to my X-700.

I use it to shoot nice grainy tri-x 400.

Pat

03-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #5

Original Poster
I have a Minolta X-570 that I prefer over the X-700 but I haven't used it much due to the 80's build. The viewfinder is great though. I like how it has a window to view your selected aperture.
03-27-2013, 05:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The OM's are really nice, though the 1 may have the mercury battery issue... the 2/2n is really wonderful, and the OM lenses are not overpriced. The same goes for Rokkors, I have the XE-5 (and 7) which are large beasts, but really smooth cameras. Some of the smaller more electronic ones are really silky too. The Minolta 35-70 constant aperture zoom is one of the best ever of its type, and dirt cheap. This is a benefit of an orphaned MF mount in a AF/digital world; though the small mirrorrless wonders are having some effect on certain lenses.
03-27-2013, 11:12 PM   #7

Original Poster
Glad you chimed in Nesster. Thanks.

I ended up with an Olympus OM-2 50 1.8 combo. Hopefully it keep me from buying the XD-11 for a while....

Who am I kidding. I'll end up with Pentax, Minolta, Canon and Olympus systems. Nikon is the only company I haven't touched.

03-27-2013, 11:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If you want a reasonably priced K mount film Pentax I would suggest a K1000. It's a model that was made for a long time. There are a lot of them out there which means they don't cost as much as other models and from what I can see they're easier by far to fix than an ME. Very easy to use too. I'm very partial to the KX, love the screen and VF on that one, but they are a bit more pricey to own, unless you get very lucky at Goodwill like I did. Honestly K1000's are so common that I've managed to obtain 3 of them in great condition for practically nothing and I can't say I don't like them. I just like the KX better. I've got all my K1000's listed on CL locally, shrug. But if I didn't have the KX? I'd be using these. They're great little cameras from what I can tell. Like them a lot better than the ME actually. People keep giving me ME's. I've given 3 of them away actually over the past 3 years to my local college photo teachers. Won't keep one. I just don't really like them much. People do like them, but honestly I just can't say I do at all.
03-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #9

Original Poster
Ya-know, I never consider the K1000 for some reason. Surprisingly, with how common they are, I've never actually held one. My assumptions are that they are too big and heavy for street photography. I always try to find ME Supers at thrift stores because of their size, viewfinders, and price.

Speaking of thrift shops; who is finding deals? I tried to pick up a Minolta SRT with a random zoom attached to it but they wanted $80 for it!! I offered $10 but they refused.
03-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Skullsroad Quote
Glad you chimed in Nesster. Thanks.

I ended up with an Olympus OM-2 50 1.8 combo. Hopefully it keep me from buying the XD-11 for a while....

Who am I kidding. I'll end up with Pentax, Minolta, Canon and Olympus systems. Nikon is the only company I haven't touched.
Congrats on the OM! I was a long time Olympus fan, I had a Pen FT. But along the way I lost my way, till I bought an OM2, instant love there.

You got my systems covered, save I boycott Canon on principle (I don't like their changing mounts without backward compatibility) and substitute Nikon. And early Miranda. And I count the Yashica and Fuji M42's as 'Pentax' in general
03-28-2013, 02:46 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks. I'm on the hunt for a 40mm f/2 pancake at the moment.

I got an AE-1 Program as a gift. I then gifted it to my girlfriend who owns a bunch of EOS stuff. I picked up an EOS Elan 7 to play with her lenses. The silent focus is really nice and the Elan 7 feels great in the hand. I've only used it once since I'm not much of an auto focus guy but it takes really nice pictures.

Nikon is just too expensive. If they were cheaper I might pick up one of those smaller F bodies to play with.
03-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Skullsroad Quote
Ya-know, I never consider the K1000 for some reason. Surprisingly, with how common they are, I've never actually held one. My assumptions are that they are too big and heavy for street photography. I always try to find ME Supers at thrift stores because of their size, viewfinders, and price.

Speaking of thrift shops; who is finding deals? I tried to pick up a Minolta SRT with a random zoom attached to it but they wanted $80 for it!! I offered $10 but they refused.
You should try one. They're really not that heavy for real use and they are good cams. The ME is so small that by comparison I can see how the K1000 might seem that way but it's actually pretty comfortable, makes a decent, reliable street camera, and I think they're a fair bit lighter than my Spottie. I like the size of the ME but I really don't like the buttons vs the dial and almost every one I've ever run across has has major tech issues. I've never run across a K1000 that wasn't working when I got it. It's quite a little workhorse and I can see why college photography depts have it on there list of film cameras they like to see students use and why it is so popular with students themselves.
04-02-2013, 12:55 AM   #13

Original Poster

Had to take the top and bottom plates off to lube up the frame advance. The lever wouldn't return on it's own right out of the box.

It's decked out with some Ebay specials. Short hood, eye-cup, and a soft release. What's interesting about the soft release is that when fully depressed, it fits in the recess of the shutter-well perfectly.