Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2013, 12:29 AM   #136
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Amazing fireworks scratchpaddy. Some of the best I have seen. Many people knock the Foveon sensor in lowlight. That is only part of the truth. The Sigmas aren't very good at high ISO, but are killer at low ISO with long time exposure. Just wish they had a bulb setting and cable release socket.

Understand about the fireworks parking. We drove 1.5 hours to attend the ST. Louis, Mo. USA VP fair fireworks show. Two cars full of photographers. My buddy drove around the parking lot many times to find our spot. The other car grabbed the 1st available parking spot. We ended up on opposite sides of the parking lot. After the show we drove off exiting the parking lot quickly. The other car was hoplessly mired in traffic. We arrived home 1.5 hours later and they were just leaving the parking lot. They said it was so hot cars were over heating and they thought there might be a riot. The two cars weren't parked more than 1000 ft apart. I never make fun of my friends judgement in parking.

Nice images hoopsontoast. Particularly like the Triumph auto. The jet engine is also neat. What kind of speakers are those with the BK subwoofer?
thanks
barondla
Thanks, that was my Dolomite 1850 HL, the 4th and last Triumph I have owned!
The speakers are a old small british monitor company called Keesonic, quite rare.

08-06-2013, 09:47 PM - 1 Like   #137
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the compliments on the fireworks. I was really impressed with how well they came out.

@hoopsontoast , great shots! That DP1x of yours makes you a Foveon veteran! The second and fourth image are my favorites. I work at a foundry that makes blades for turbines, but I never get to see the actual engines. I love looking at huge, complicated machines. That low perspective and the people around it really gives a sense of how big those engines are.

@barondla , I was stupid when I parked. Next time, I'm parking right next to the exit. When I got to my car, I didn't even start the engine. I just sat there for a hour and waited for all the pissed-off drivers to squeeze out the one exit. If I'm going to sit still in my car, I'd rather do it in a parking space.
I like your plane shot, too, especially the clouds. Why are the these cameras so good at that? Though, I'm sure the photographer had something to do with it, too.

Thanks for the tips on printing, too. I have a few of my dog that I wouldn't mind putting on a wall.

You can use the Sigmas for action shots, actually. You just have to be patient.

That doesn't make much sense...

Last edited by scratchpaddy; 08-14-2013 at 10:16 PM. Reason: updated photo link
08-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #138
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pinholecam glad you got a DP1Merrill. Pagoda shows off the resolution nicely. The Foveon sensor makes jaw dropping images that look like nothing else. The cameras can be slow & cranky, but they turn out images that amaze. My FF buddy is nervous when I bring the Sigma on one of our shoots. Closest I have ever gotten digital to look like film. Cant wait to see your images and tips.

thanks
barondla
Barondla, thanks.
Yes, the foveon has certainly been the most jaw dropping in IQ I have ever seen on aps-c and FF.
Resolution is incredible.
The lens is also so well matched to the camera/sensor that CA is very low and edge sharpness is terrific which is saying a lot for a WA.

I had shot similar shots between K30+DA15 and the DP1m, for the purpose of comparisons.
But after just looking at my first processed shot from the DP1m, I gave up the idea

That said, its certainly a quirky camera with the power off, battery life, write times and learning curve for exposing better with it.
SPP was not much of a problem for me, but the shadow/highlight recovery don't do much and the X3Fill works well but the noise in the shadows can become ugly quickly.

Certainly reminds me of shooting film with the limited no. of shots per battery, need to expose correctly.
I love it, end up thinking more for composition and exposure.
08-07-2013, 10:49 PM - 1 Like   #139
Veteran Member

Shot with a Pentax, but still:

08-09-2013, 04:51 AM   #141
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Super action shots by scratchpaddy and ivoire. Hardly ever see the Sigmas used for moving subjects. Well done guys.
thanks
barondla
08-09-2013, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #142
Veteran Member

Best I can do with moving subjects:

08-09-2013, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #143
Veteran Member

Super action shots by scratchpaddy and ivoire. Hardly ever see the Sigmas used for moving subjects. Well done guys.
thanks
barondla
The focus on the M series is faster than the internet reviews make it out to be. The DP2M works well for street photography

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

Last edited by ivoire; 08-09-2013 at 10:19 AM.
08-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #144
Pentaxian

The reason I take the DP2M on vacation: so I can "see what I got" when I get home...

(Processing in Sigma Photo Pro was limited to "Sharpness -1, set color to Landscape" then I fixed my horizon with a crop.)

08-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #146
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I love your Chicago shots, ivorie. These Sigmas are killer for urban photography.

QuoteOriginally posted by hoopsontoast Quote
Shot with a Pentax, but still:
Oh no, lens pr0n! Better be careful, that stuff's addictive!

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
The reason I take the DP2M on vacation: so I can "see what I got" when I get home...
That's what I'm busy doing right now. I do really enjoy that part, but it's a little complicated by the use of three different cameras...

Sweet sunset, too.

QuoteOriginally posted by DavidOBryan Quote
Here are some pics of my son, who is a professional jumping bean:
Your son is making me tired. Maybe we should all settle down and have a beer. Here, I've got an opener built-in to the porch:

It was only my porch for a week, sadly.

Last edited by scratchpaddy; 08-14-2013 at 10:17 PM. Reason: update photo link
08-12-2013, 10:00 PM   #147
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
I love your Chicago shots, ivorie. These Sigmas are killer for urban photography.
Thanks, your pooch pic is what inspired me to try some action shots. I got the DP2M mainly for my urban wanderings and mostly to share the images with family and friends so they know what i'm up to. Curiosity is what drives my wandering and shooting and once i'm out, anything that catches my attention gets photographed.

It's good to see the images posted by everyone with a Sigma. I'm enjoying all of them. We seem to be a much rarer 'breed' than Pentax shooters. Hope everyone keeps submitting images and tips.
08-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #148
Site Supporter

Anyone here using an SD1 [Merrill]?
08-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #149
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
Anyone here using an SD1 [Merrill]?
I believe user bvg has one.

And after the city, some country

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]
08-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #150
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great images ivoire. Especially like Coming N Going. You are really putting the Sigma to good use. Keep it up.

I guess you are correct, Sigma shooters are even rarer than Pentaxians. I would love to shoot a SD1 to see how much it looks like our DP...Merrills. Just don't need another dslr system.
thanks
barondla