Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Great images ivoire. Especially like Coming N Going. You are really putting the Sigma to good use. Keep it up.

I guess you are correct, Sigma shooters are even rarer than Pentaxians. I would love to shoot a SD1 to see how much it looks like our DP...Merrills. Just don't need another dslr system.
thanks
barondla
I"ve also been thinking of the SD1 (sold my K5). I looked into a rental but they just have 1 lens to go with it and that wouldn't give me enuff of a feel for what I could do with it. I may change my mind and rent it while i'm in florida.

Last edited by ivoire; 08-15-2013 at 04:44 PM.
08-14-2013, 11:12 PM   #152
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
Anyone here using an SD1 [Merrill]?
Actually... yes. I finally got one before I went on vacation three weeks ago. It's paired with the 12-24mm II. It's the second, improved, weather-sealed version that was never released for Pentax. I don't know why. The lens would have no competition in K-mount. Nothing weather-sealed goes that wide.

I actually posted some pictures from it one or two weeks ago, but no one noticed that the pictures were way wider than 30mm. I really wanted to see the Foveon on an ultrawide, and, man, it delivers! I'll show you.

These are from a hike at Indian Springs Trail #627, near Big Lake on the far eastern side of Arizona. All shots are at ISO 200, and all the SD1M shots were at f/6.3.

To view at the original resolution, click the image, and then click the "O" at the top of the page.

#1: The whole area burned in a fire two years ago, and this fire tower burned with it. The metal frame and stairs still stand, but the platform at the top collapsed. The stairs just end in empty space.

SD1M, 12mm

#2: All the suff that used to be on top of the tower lies in a heap at the base.

DP2M, 30mm, f/3.2

#3: Skippy didn't mind all the burned stuff. In fact, the long grass that grows in the wake of forest fires is one of her favorite things in the world. More on that later.

SD1M, 12mm

#4: Without the trees above to block the sun, the ground was choked with shrubs and grass...

SD1M, 12mm

#5: Lots of grass.

SD1M, 12mm

#6: This is at the stream, which I believe is where the trail gets its name, "Indian Springs."

SD1M, 16mm

#7: Same as the last one, but shot with the DP2M, instead, for comparison. The difference between the cameras is mostly in how they're used; the final pictures are hard to distinguish, apart from the differing focal lengths. Not surprising, considering that they share the same sensor.

DP2M, 30mm, f/5.6

#8: This is what I was talking about before. She loves the grass.

DP2M, 30mm, f/4.5

#9: I should point out that, if you take a bunch of shots, like in burst mode, the DP2M saves them faster than the SD1M. Strange, especially considering that the SD1M uses CompactFlash, which is supposedly faster than SD.

DP2M, 30mm, f/4

#10: Splat, right into the ash-choked mud.

DP2M, 30mm, f/6.3

#11: This is the stream. It was hard to see it earlier, through all that grass.

SD1M, 12mm

#12: This part of the trail used to be a railroad. What an awesome ride it must have been.

SD1M, 12mm

#13: Lunchtime with Mom. In case you were wondering, Pentax was still getting some love on the hike. My mom is now the happy owner of the K-r I used until the beginning of this year.

DP2M, 30mm, f/5
08-15-2013, 06:59 AM   #153
Pentaxian

Very nice! This camera looks more versatile than the reviews lead one to believe. Thanks for posting. I found this also:

http://madshutter.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-saga-begins-sigma-sd1-merrill-vs.html

and a rental store

http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/compact/sigma/sigma-sd1-merrill-sigma-35mm-f1.4-dg-hsm-a1-kit

Last edited by ivoire; 08-15-2013 at 07:04 AM.
08-15-2013, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #154
Pentaxian

Found this guy on the street today

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[/url] [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/donscreation/9521411352/]mr silver1[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/donscreation/]2Deye[/url], on Flickr" target="_blank"> "][URL="[

Last edited by ivoire; 08-15-2013 at 08:09 PM.
08-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #155
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I spent a long time staring at your first picture, wondering at how realistic the statue was. Then I had to spend a moment going back and forth between the first and second one. Did it... move?

What possesses some people!? I mean, this is really cool, but how does one wake up in the morning, thinking, "I'm going to paint myself and all my clothes silver and stroll around Chicago today!"?

Did he speak? I imagine not.
08-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #156
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
I spent a long time staring at your first picture, wondering at how realistic the statue was. Then I had to spend a moment going back and forth between the first and second one. Did it... move?

What possesses some people!? I mean, this is really cool, but how does one wake up in the morning, thinking, "I'm going to paint myself and all my clothes silver and stroll around Chicago today!"?

Did he speak? I imagine not.
I first thought it was a statue but on second glance knew the diff. He sat perfectly still until some unsuspecting person would get very near and then he'd make noise and move. He did an incredible make-up job and did have a bag for donations. Some of us just like to perform more dramatically than others
08-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #157
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That's great fun! I guess the people I've been around for most of my life just take things too seriously, myself included.

Oh yeah, I read that article comparing the SD1 to the D800E earlier today. I'm impressed that it can go toe-to-toe with the de facto king of landscapes (outside medium format) and come out without a clear winner. Even more amazing is the fact that the review was done by a lifetime Nikon shooter.

So... no more K-5 for you. Is the DP2M your only camera now? That would be impressive if that one quirky little camera replaced an entire system for you. If you're looking at the SD1, keep in mind that it's very big. Pentax prides itself on its small DSLR's and tiny primes, but compactness is far, far down on the list of priorities of Sigma's DSLR system. It feels very good in the hand, though. The grip is deep and very natural-feeling, and the button placement is very well thought-out. It's versatile for sure, as long as you're patient.

I was going to ask you what you'd do after it gets dark, but I guess I've already answered my own question.

DP2M, ISO 100, f/9, 30 sec.

08-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #158
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
That's great fun! I guess the people I've been around for most of my life just take things too seriously, myself included.

Oh yeah, I read that article comparing the SD1 to the D800E earlier today. I'm impressed that it can go toe-to-toe with the de facto king of landscapes (outside medium format) and come out without a clear winner. Even more amazing is the fact that the review was done by a lifetime Nikon shooter.

So... no more K-5 for you. Is the DP2M your only camera now? That would be impressive if that one quirky little camera replaced an entire system for you. If you're looking at the SD1, keep in mind that it's very big. Pentax prides itself on its small DSLR's and tiny primes, but compactness is far, far down on the list of priorities of Sigma's DSLR system. It feels very good in the hand, though. The grip is deep and very natural-feeling, and the button placement is very well thought-out. It's versatile for sure, as long as you're patient.

I was going to ask you what you'd do after it gets dark, but I guess I've already answered my own question.

DP2M, ISO 100, f/9, 30 sec.
Love the night shot... now i'm gonna have to try that out.

I have a Olympus EPL5 m4/3 with several lenses, Oly E620 4/3 with a 50-200 f2.8 for birding, plus a sigma 10-20mm and oly 14-42mm and a Panny LX7 pns. The sigma and the LX7 get the most use.

I like the idea of the SD1 but am waiting a bit to see what sigma is up to.

A few more from todays outing

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

Last edited by ivoire; 08-16-2013 at 08:02 AM.
08-16-2013, 09:08 AM   #159
Pentaxian

[IMG][IMG] [/IMG] [IMG] [/IMG] [IMG] [/IMG] [IMG] [/IMG][/IMG]
08-18-2013, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #161
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Super images everyone. You guys are showing what the Sigmas can do. Even action shots!

Sigma DP1Merrill on tripod.
thanks
barondla
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SIGMA DP1 Merrill  Photo 
08-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #162
Pentaxian

Super images everyone. You guys are showing what the Sigmas can do. Even action shots!

Sigma DP1Merrill on tripod.
thanks
barondla
Nice effects in this... what iso, aperture and shutter speed? I've yet to try night or dusk shots. Hope to do a few in the coming weeks.
08-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #163
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks ivoire. Tech data is ISO 100, f8, 1/30. Exposed -1.3 to keep highlights and used highlight recovery and filllight in SPP to bring up the dark areas.

I find the Sigma incredible for low light, long time exposures at ISO 100-200. Camera is majorly hampered by lack of B setting. It is slightly hobbled by lack of cable release/wireless remote. I bump into the 30 second max time limit often.

thanks
barondla
08-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #164
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Really cool reflection shot, barondla. I haven't seen water that smooth in a long time.

Ivorie, I'm still loving your Chicago shots. The lighting's really cool in those last couple of shots. Looks like a storm brewing.

Camera is majorly hampered by lack of B setting. It is slightly hobbled by lack of cable release/wireless remote. I bump into the 30 second max time limit often.
The SD1 has bulb mode, but it's pretty restrictive. By default, it won't go longer than 30 seconds (which kinda defeats the purpose), but you can enable an "extended mode" that allows it to go for 120 seconds. No crazy hour-long exposures here. I'd love to see some more of your long exposures, though.
08-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #165
Pentaxian

I have the loan, (with promise to buy if I like) of an SD2 for a bit. Today, I went out for a sunset... I was focused on the SD@ I didn't notice my K-5 was on manual focus... but I did get one good image

I haven't produced the best image I can from each one, just exported the SD2 image to a tiff and then ran a shadow detail filter I use a lot. The k-5 taken within 5 seconds was imported and run through the same filter.

k-5 with 35 mm 2.4

SD2

K-5 pixel peeper...

SD2 pixel peeper

Don't pay too much attention to the colour, I neglected to put them both on the same setting.
For some reason, with everything else the same, the K-5 had a much slower shutter speed. Try again tomorrow.