08-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #196
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Another one from Tokyo.

08-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #197
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Nothing to the north until you hit Hwy 17 and the Ottawa River... that has to be at least 50-60 miles
Looks like a nice quiet place to stay.

Over here they are chopping down whatever forested place they can find in the delusion that buildings means progress....
08-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #198
Veteran Member

I'm liking the Tokyo series... got more???

tried a few in town at night using benches as tripods

[IMG]
[/IMG]

[IMG]
[/IMG]

[IMG]
[/IMG]

[IMG]
[/IMG]

[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/donscreation/9608520954/]corner traffic[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/donscreation/]2Deye[/url], on Flickr" target="_blank">

Last edited by ivoire; 08-27-2013 at 07:20 AM.
08-27-2013, 07:41 AM   #199
bvg
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice pictures.
Sigma's cameras should have 14bit engine output to really compete with FF.

A shy doll

by vld_bzh, on Flickr

08-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #200
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
I'm liking the Tokyo series... got more???

Thanks.
I do have some more, but not much.
I got the camera on the 2nd day in Japan, and took it out perhaps from the 4th day onwards.
So there was quite a bit of learning to do (and I was pretty afraid of running out of cards and battery juice)

I'll be able to share more once I go thru them as I accumulated tons of stuff over 3 cameras (K30; Q7; DP1m)
08-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #201
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bvg Quote
Nice pictures.
Sigma's cameras should have 14bit engine output to really compete with FF.

A shy doll

by vld_bzh, on Flickr
Why?

IN practical everyday use, I don't notice a difference between12 and 14, heres a K-01 shot and K-5 shot fromm the same location. In selecting images for quality there was no noticeable difference. camera position and lighting was the deciding factor, not 12 bit or 14 bit.

I've also read a scientific paper suggesting that 14 bit isn't an improvement over 12 bit.

08-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #202
bvg
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have compared many pictures and my personal feeling is 14bit gives additional richness of colors.My k-5 outperforms sd1m from this point of view.

08-27-2013, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #203
Pentaxian

Here are 2 shots from a nice shrine I chanced upon in Asakasa.
Asaksa is a CBD filled with important looking tall buildings, so a surprise for me to find a nice and rather big shrine there.
The best thing of all, this shrine seems to have quite a few of those little photo ops that makes for 'iconic' Japan/temple shots.
I'm sure there are plenty of these elsewhere, but this place is convenient, right smack in the CBD and near a subway stn and not touristy.

Hie Shrine

The Dp1m has made me think about how it can be a paradigm shift for photography.
Its slow, but taking landscapes/places is not rushed anyway.
It works like a MF camera (ie. slow and with a fixed flow and a tripod), but it rewards with output so close in quality but encumbers far less.
There is always talk about high ISO, low light work, but to me, the good photos are mainly in good light or low light with a tripod.
Anyway, paired with a Q7 and with the f1.9 01 prime, it did well even in challenging low light
(I wrote about it here : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/233063-tokyo-story-pentax-q7-real-world-review.html )
08-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #204
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bvg Quote
I have compared many pictures and my personal feeling is 14bit gives additional richness of colors.My k-5 outperforms sd1m from this point of view.
Any chance you could post an image or two to illustrate your point?
08-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #205
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Here are 2 shots from a nice shrine I chanced upon in Asakasa.
Asaksa is a CBD filled with important looking tall buildings, so a surprise for me to find a nice and rather big shrine there.
The best thing of all, this shrine seems to have quite a few of those little photo ops that makes for 'iconic' Japan/temple shots.
I'm sure there are plenty of these elsewhere, but this place is convenient, right smack in the CBD and near a subway stn and not touristy.

Hie Shrine

The Dp1m has made me think about how it can be a paradigm shift for photography.
Its slow, but taking landscapes/places is not rushed anyway.
It works like a MF camera (ie. slow and with a fixed flow and a tripod), but it rewards with output so close in quality but encumbers far less.
There is always talk about high ISO, low light work, but to me, the good photos are mainly in good light or low light with a tripod.
Anyway, paired with a Q7 and with the f1.9 01 prime, it did well even in challenging low light
(I wrote about it here : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/233063-tokyo-story-pentax-q7-real-world-review.html )
Very nice images... liked your Q7 shots and review even tho you are making me want to open my wallet.
08-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #206
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice Tokyo set pinholcam. Hie shrine is a great subject. Detail in the steps is a hallmark of the Foveon sensor.
thanks for sharing
barondla
08-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #207
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ivoire, glad you are trying the Sigma at night. At low ISO the Sigma produces incredible available light quality. Well done ivoire.
thanks
barondla
08-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #208
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

12 vs 14 bit is an interesting discussion. In theory 14bit can pass more info. But I wonder if there is that much extra color info to max out 12bit? Don't know. In audio the 24 bit dacs only resolve about 20 bits.

The K-5... may have a broader range of color. But I have seen subtle color variations in rocks that the Bayer sensor tends to homogenize. Bayer tends toward a more "cartoonie" look imho. Think Foveon sensor has more color info and unlike Bayer resolution, is the same in all colors. Sigmas look more like film to me.
thanks
barondla
08-28-2013, 07:37 AM   #209
Veteran Member

Liked the K5 very much but sold it. I prefer the look of the images from the DPM series. I am thinking of getting a K01 for the manual lenses i have to use in low light
08-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #210
Pentaxian

No- K-5?.. I love the DP2 and suspect I'd like the SD1 Merrill, but this is shot an a minimum speed, 0f 1/250 second, I had to go to 800 ISO to get that, and often I have to go to 1600 or even 3200 ISO. That's something I'm not going to give up, it's a clean image, no noise reduction and very sharp, looks way better big than it does at this size. I heard 800 ISO on a Foveon is pretty messy. And no legacy 400 mm glass for cheap either.