Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #226
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Very cool, one thing I noticed with this camera is the images are so sharp, the images at reduced size often have artifacts that the image at full size don't have...You actually have to pixel peep to understand how good the camera really is.
I think its also this web sized viewing that makes it so hard for the X3 sensors to make in-roads into the camera market.
Every other camera o/p seems as sharp at web sizes.
Only when one manages to compare 1:1 is the Foveon revealed to be quite the monster.

Anyone else notices how it renders the luster of gold?
Its just so real...

09-04-2013, 07:40 AM   #227
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Anyone else notices how it renders the luster of gold?
Last time I took pictures of gold, I needed extension tubes. It was with the K-5, though.

Smooth textures are where the Sigmas really stand out (even at smaller sizes, I think): clouds, concrete, and probably gold, too.

09-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #228
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good building shot scratchpaddy. Very dramatic.

Think Foveon sensor has a lot more color info to work with. Images just look more real. Even if the WB is off, or there is some other deviation, you can't take away the subtle differentiation of color. Theres more there.

thanks
barondla
09-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #229
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, barondla! Speaking of white balance being off, I always struggle with that with these cameras. The DP2M wants everything to be green, while the SD1M tries to make everything magenta, which gets worse or better depending on the lens. I've started keeping it on the "Sunlight." That way, it's not always accurate, but at least it's consistently inaccurate. If I'm going to tweak it in post anyway, it's just simpler that way.

Once you manage to get it right, it sure is rewarding.

I would mind having a zippy coupe like this, especially in this color.

09-10-2013, 07:11 AM   #230
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great colors scratchpaddy.

I shoot Raw and still try to pick the correct WB before hand. This usually means picking either the sunny or cloudy icon. Really don't have any gripes about the DP1Merrill WB. Just find it interesting that even if the color is not 100% there is more info.
thanks
barondla
09-10-2013, 07:39 AM   #231
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
I would mind having a zippy coupe like this, especially in this color.
Nice car shot! in brilliant red!
09-10-2013, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #232
Pentaxian

Not much of a view and lots of shooting restrictions on the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building, but hey! I can't turn it down if its free.

09-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #233
Pentaxian

Some awesome images here guys....
09-10-2013, 09:00 AM   #234
Pentaxian

Original Poster
"Not much of a view," he says. Why don't I believe you?

My city is not as exciting as yours, even with the bright red cars, so I'll take a detour.

DP2M, f/5.6, ISO 100
09-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #235
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Kamakura is often called 'Little Kyoto', its certainly a nice place for a day trip out of Tokyo or for a 1-2day trip in itself.
I chose to go here since I did not want to hassle with the longer trip to Kyoto, also potentially avoiding the tourists.

These 2 were exposure blended from 3 exposures each, since I was totally clueless about the practical dynamic range of the DP1m (just a few days old to me at that time).
It can be quite taxing on memory space as well as battery life.
The camera operates pretty good to me, don't think I found it lacking in buttons nor was there much menu diggng.
Now that I know that it pushes shadows poorly but recovers highlights pretty well, I've got to try shooting it differently from my K30.
Like them both, nice processing. Gotta love the detail and colors from these cameras. There are so many great images in this thread. I finally made it to Florida aand have been laying in the pool a lot. Here's a pano of the intracoastal at Daytona Beach

[IMG]
[/IMG]

and some birds

[IMG]
[/IMG]

plus a fisherman

[IMG]
[/IMG]

and the bridge n pier

[IMG]
[/IMG]

Last edited by ivoire; 09-11-2013 at 08:11 AM.
09-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #236
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Love the cityscape pinholecam. The detail is amazing. You have really cranked up the Sigma.
hanks
barondla
09-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #237
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

scratchpaddy, love the clouds in your pic. Sigma Fovean has a special way with clouds.
thanks
barondla
09-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #238
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ivoire, glad you made it to Florida. But laying in a pool? Check out that ocean.

Particularly like your fisherman image. Don't see as many people shots with the Sigmas. Can't wait to see more of Florida.
thanks
barondla
09-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #239
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Ivoire, glad you made it to Florida. But laying in a pool? Check out that ocean.

Particularly like your fisherman image. Don't see as many people shots with the Sigmas. Can't wait to see more of Florida.
thanks
barondla
Am in central FL, passed thru Daytona on the way to get settled. Ocean visit is due very soon but the private pool and sun have captured me for a few more days
09-12-2013, 04:31 PM   #240
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
"Not much of a view," he says. Why don't I believe you?

My city is not as exciting as yours, even with the bright red cars, so I'll take a detour.
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Love the cityscape pinholecam. The detail is amazing. You have really cranked up the Sigma.
hanks
barondla
Thanks guys.