Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 500 Likes Search this Thread
09-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #256
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots everyone. Sigmas are impressive with your skills.

Scratchpaddy, do you know what kind of mine that is? I have been in lead and coal mines. This looks like neither of them!

Normhead, you will get used to the Sigma controls quickly. It is very well setup for photography.

My addition to the high ISO files. This was at Land Between The Lakes, KY. I shot the DP1Merrill wide open and at ISO 800 handheld. Did a little cropping. Noise reduction in SPP.
thanks
barondla

Really missed the image stabilization.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SIGMA DP1 Merrill  Photo 

Last edited by barondla; 09-29-2013 at 09:15 PM.
09-29-2013, 10:30 PM   #257
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
A few from today's walk... simple menu items still confuse me, today I ot stuck on MF and couldn't remember how to turn AF back on again.

Time sure passes quickly.
Fall colors are already showing in your shots.

Nice picts, thx for sharing.
09-30-2013, 06:41 AM   #258
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks guys for the thoughts.

The K24/2.8 shots look fantastic, yet I'd love to see a comparison with dp1m output - I'd bet the Sigma would perform well in those scenes too. Are there any 20mm primes that you've found comparible for K-mount (besides the Zeiss 21)?

Great architecture shot! As for the SD1M - I've thought about it, but I like retaining the Pentax kit for low-light, and can't justify owning both at the moment.

I have considered the Samyang 14, but that plus a good 20mm is going to drastically increase my kit size versus a DP1M and GW-3 (great idea btw).

Last edited by jeffshaddix; 09-30-2013 at 06:46 AM.
09-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #259
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A few from today's walk... simple menu items still confuse me, today I ot stuck on MF and couldn't remember how to turn AF back on again.
Lovely, Norm! You live in such a beautiful area.

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
My addition to the high ISO files. This was at Land Between The Lakes, KY. I shot the DP1Merrill wide open and at ISO 800 handheld. Did a little cropping. Noise reduction in SPP.
I see you like to live dangerously. I'm too timid for ISO 800. Those sheep look pretty happy.

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Great architecture shot! As for the SD1M - I've thought about it, but I like retaining the Pentax kit for low-light, and can't justify owning both at the moment.

I have considered the Samyang 14, but that plus a good 20mm is going to drastically increase my kit size versus a DP1M and GW-3 (great idea btw).
I know what you mean. I was just so enthralled with the Foveon X3 that I just had to see how it looked with other lenses. It's not small, either. When one of my friends (who shoots 5D classic) saw it, he though it was full-frame. It's almost the exact same size as his 5D.

Scratchpaddy, do you know what kind of mine that is? I have been in lead and coal mines. This looks like neither of them!
Asbestos.

It's a small mine on top of a mountain in what is now the Tonto National Forest. It first started producing in 1917, and probably closed shortly after WWII. Here's a few more shots from that hike. The first three are from the 12-24 II.

This one's with the DP2M at ISO 200 and f/5.6:

And the other of my two SA-mount lenses, the 50mm EX DG Macro at f/2.8:

10-01-2013, 07:44 AM   #260
Pentaxian

A few test shots taken from my back yard...
The interesting thing is the pixel peeper seems to have the same sharpness as the image that has been reduced in size. You can count the teeth on the Saw Tooth Aspen leaves.

My back yard

Pixel Peeper

I might have to get a DP1M to go with this.
10-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #261
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Thanks guys for the thoughts.

The K24/2.8 shots look fantastic, yet I'd love to see a comparison with dp1m output - I'd bet the Sigma would perform well in those scenes too. Are there any 20mm primes that you've found comparible for K-mount (besides the Zeiss 21)?

I trust the Pentax more for the randomness in lighting conditions for street/people photography.
In fact I trust my Q7 more in this aspect too over my dp1m.

Landscapes wise, no need to compare, the dp1m lens is better in sharpness, CA than any similar FL lens I have on any system, all the way to the edges.
Matched with the x3 sensor, its the best o/p I have seen so far between m4/3, aps-c and FF (5D)
10-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #262
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The interesting thing is the pixel peeper seems to have the same sharpness as the image that has been reduced in size. You can count the teeth on the Saw Tooth Aspen leaves.
And that's the reason why we put up with these stupid cameras. Your backyard sure is colorful already. I remember, in Georgia, that didn't start until late October unless the weather was extraordinarily dry or cold.

So, what's this about getting a DP1M also? I thought you were just borrowing the DP2M?

Speaking of pixel peeping, I spent last Saturday taking pictures around the foundry where I work (well, used to work, but that's a different, unrelated story), with the Boss's permission, of course. I finally gave the camera all those things it really deserves: heavy, sturdy tripod, mirror lock-up, 2-sec delay, f/8, and ISO 100 since shadows are more important than highlights in a dim industrial environment.

The 12-24 II isn't quite as sharp edge-to-edge as the lenses on the DP series, but it's extremely good for a UWA zoom. It's a shame they don't offer it in K-mount. Click any picture (twice) for full-size. Pixel peep these please! You really have to see it to believe it.

Text is particularly telling. You can read almost all of the labels and buttons on that heat-treat furnace control box (big blue thing, second-to-last picture). And check out the texture on those heat-shield outfits.

10-02-2013, 03:13 AM   #263
bvg
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice pictures, I think pixel-peepers are happy. Do you have any problems with color cast areas?
10-02-2013, 05:32 AM   #264
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bvg Quote
Nice pictures, I think pixel-peepers are happy. Do you have any problems with color cast areas?
SO far no problems at all, Sigma had years between the DP1 and DP1M to get the coloour thing worked out. You can still set the camera to a "classic blue" tint if you liked the "Foveon look."

Yesterday I had time to kill in Huntsville Ontario during an oil change.

Pixel peeper

You can get shots that look macro, because magnification doesn't seem to degrade the image. It doesn't focus close enough for my liking though.

10-02-2013, 07:35 AM   #265
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
So, what's this about getting a DP1M also? I thought you were just borrowing the DP2M?
Sorry, I missed that. I borrowed it with an option to buy... now it's mine. It's a lot of work, but I absolutely love the images when I get one.
10-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #266
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's a lot of work, but I absolutely love the images when I get one.
Agree totally. Love the look of "killer" shots. Haven't seen anything else like it. Nice images normhead.
thanks
barondla
10-02-2013, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #267
Pentaxian

A few more from today... this time of year, any walk is an excuse to take pictures. It's been so warm lately we have new flowers blooming in the garden, like spring and fall at the same time.

10-05-2013, 06:44 AM   #268
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Normhead,love the image of red leaf on bed of white/tan leaves. This is a candidate for big enlargement.
thanks
barondla
10-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #269
Pentaxian

Normhead,love the image of red leaf on bed of white/tan leaves. This is a candidate for big enlargement.
thanks
barondla
Thanks, although I have to confess, there was a leaf there that was curled a bit and probably would have gone out of focus with such narrow DoF. However I took it away, found a flatter one, and put it down in the same position. I messed with nature... I feel so guilty.
10-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #270
Forum Member

Sorry, I missed that. I borrowed it with an option to buy... now it's mine. It's a lot of work, but I absolutely love the images when I get one.
Wow! I’ve scanned through this entire thread and the photos all of you have posted here are simply awesome. Your honest appraisal of the DP Merrill cameras is very appreciated and a convincing argument for me to switch. I’m now selling some of my gear to fund a future purchase of at least one of these unique tools. Thanks for all your efforts posting to this thread.