Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 500 Likes Search this Thread
11-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #301
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Hey Foveon-Fans! Just thought I'd pass on the news that November 1st is/was the day that Sigma started really rolling back the prices of it's Foveon-based Merrill cameras.

See here for what the French distributor has done: Sigma sabre les prix des Merrill

The biggest news isn't the 400 euro drop in the price of the DP compacts (which puts them below the US price for the first time), but look at what happened to the "formerly $9,500 SD1." It is now going for 999 euros ($1350 USD) body only, or 1299 euros ($1750 USD) for a kit with the 17-50 f/2.8! They are already selling on eBay from Japan at these prices, but the US and Canada haven't seen them plummet as much yet. I've got an email out to the local distributor to see if they'll be following suit...

Can anyone say "new Sigma Foveon cameras coming soon?"
Very cool! I see a DP1M in my near future...pinholecam has made sure of that!

Last edited by jeffshaddix; 11-04-2013 at 09:19 PM.
11-05-2013, 12:48 AM   #302
Veteran Member

Hey Foveon-Fans! Just thought I'd pass on the news that November 1st is/was the day that Sigma started really rolling back the prices of it's Foveon-based Merrill cameras.

See here for what the French distributor has done: Sigma sabre les prix des Merrill (and my apologies to the non-francophone readers... I've summarized the prices below).

The biggest news isn't the 400 euro drop in the price of the DP compacts (which puts them below the US price for the first time), but look at what happened to the "formerly $9,500 SD1." It is now going for 999 euros ($1350 USD) body only, or 1299 euros ($1750 USD) for a kit with the 17-50 f/2.8! They are already selling on eBay from Japan at these prices, but the US and Canada haven't seen them plummet as much yet. I've got an email out to the local distributor to see if they'll be following suit...

Yeah that's why I have just picked up the DP3, reduced to £649, then another £150 cash-back from sigma on top!
The SD1 Merrill is £799 over here.
11-05-2013, 05:51 AM   #303
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hoopsontoast Quote
Yeah that's why I have just picked up the DP3, reduced to £649, then another £150 cash-back from sigma on top!
The SD1 Merrill is £799 over here.
Great photos all!!!

Good to see you guys across the pond are getting the Merrills at decent prices. I'm hoping the recent price drops mean new models are on the way. If we see lower rates here for the DP3 i may have to add one
11-06-2013, 06:11 AM   #304
Veteran Member

Some more:

And a Crop:

11-06-2013, 09:30 PM - 1 Like   #305
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Borrowing my brother's Sigma DP2M. Funky camera, shockingly sharp images

I may have to hide from my brother for a couple of months...
11-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #306
Pentaxian

Original Poster
@hoopsontoast , I like what you're doing with that DP3M! I was wondering if anyone would ever buy one of those. I've really fallen in love with the 50mm focal length, but I was looking for a pocketable camera in the DP's, and the 3 is just a little too big for that. Of course, it's way smaller than my SD1M / 50mm macro combo...

I'm glad to see some new faces around here, too. John, the camera's small, it should be pretty easy to hide from your brother for a bit. Keep making great images with it as long as you can. I really respect your contributions to the other parts of the forum, so I'm glad to see you get hold of one of these Sigmas.

@Mr Bassie, great shot, yourself! I really like the composition. We could use a little more B&W here.

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
I hope you do get one, but beware! I'm pretty sure pinholecam could pick up any camera and make you want to buy it.
11-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #307
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm a little shocked by this discovery. I've tried a couple of legacy lenses on the SD1M, and some are predictably disappointing. Some are not. I took this with a Helios 44, one of the early ones with naked aluminum finish and a 13-blade aperture, wide open (f/2):

100% crop:

Wide open, this 50-year-old piece of Russian glass beats my EX DG Macro until about f/4, at least in the center. The corners on the Helios are a mess, but still. Color me surprised. Another:

Last edited by scratchpaddy; 11-07-2013 at 10:16 PM.
11-08-2013, 05:54 AM   #308
Pentaxian

Er.. don't give me credit, I don't push other brands on PF

Foveon is certainly very under-rated as a photographic option.

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Borrowing my brother's Sigma DP2M. Funky camera, shockingly sharp images

I may have to hide from my brother for a couple of months...
Beautiful set John.
11-08-2013, 05:55 AM   #309
Pentaxian

DP1m, pano stitch 3 frames, but cropped off most of the 3rd frame for composition.

Last edited by pinholecam; 11-13-2013 at 04:09 PM.
11-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #310
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@scratchpaddy nice shot, I immediately thought "Hound of the Baskervilles"! I actually just received a Helios 44-3, but am waiting on the m42 adapter - looking forward to trying it out. Do you have any other favorites around 50mm?

@pinholecam let's just say you've let me "see the light" on Foveon. OK that was bad... :P
11-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #311
Forum Member

See here for what the French distributor has done: Sigma sabre les prix des Merrill (and my apologies to the non-francophone readers... I've summarized the prices below).

Thank you for the infos. I admit I wanted to buy a SD1 prior to its release; of course after the price was revealed I was horrified.. I think SD1 was the worst camera launch in history (definitely the worst I know of). I suspect the high price it was related to a major problem with sensors yields but still the overpricing was staggering. The prices were so bad that the official importer of Sigma gear in my country has no Sigma cameras for sale.. I don't think they sold any Merrill cameras, only older SDs.
I look forward to newer cameras as I like what the new CEO of Sigma is doing with the company; I also await for my Sigma 18-35 in Pentax mount.

Best regards,
Ciprian
11-08-2013, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #312
Pentaxian

Original Poster
@scratchpaddy nice shot, I immediately thought "Hound of the Baskervilles"! I actually just received a Helios 44-3, but am waiting on the m42 adapter - looking forward to trying it out. Do you have any other favorites around 50mm?
Thanks Jeff! But, are you calling Skippy a demon dog?

About nifty fifties, I've always loved Pentax's f/1.4 lenses. I have both the Super-Takumar and FA versions. The Takumar does pretty well on the SD1M if stopped down to f/2 or so.

I've also tried the Helios 40 (85mm f/1.5), and, in terms of what the SD1M is good at, it's not that great. I figured as much beforehand.

A zebra Zeiss Jena 135mm f/3.5 has been my go-to for telephoto. It's small and very sharp even wide open (but this is not wide open, maybe f/5.6). Hold on, Barbie!

The only two SA-mount lenses I have are a 12-24 II and a 50mm f/2.8 macro. If you're looking for a sharp 50, the Sigma's it. It's also the cheapest autofocus 1:1 macro in any mount. There's also an A version (manual focus) that sells for less than $150.

11-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #313
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks @scratchpaddy , it wasn't so much that Skippy looked like a demon, but rather a strong dog in the setting of foggy, swampy moor.

I appreciate the lens suggestions - the Pentax lenses do seem to have a great glow and color about them, and Sigma's EX line are all very nice indeed. I need to do more research into the older Zeiss lines - I have a Zeiss T* 35/2 ZK that I adore, but I don't know much outside of the ZK line. Thanks for the great samples - I hope Barbie kept her hair dry!
11-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #314
Pentaxian

@pinholecam let's just say you've let me "see the light" on Foveon. OK that was bad... :P
Ha..ha..
I've seen the light too only after trying out the camera.

Gives me a whole new perspective to systems.
For slow work, this maybe all the camera that I need with resolution good for the next 2-3 years at the least against bayer array aps-c and even giving 36mp FF a run for its money.
11-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #315
Veteran Member

I love the photos from this camera and if I had cash to splash I'd have one! Or two. To the other half's horror.

I'd also like to declare myself the first advocate for a 645 Foveon lol Forget the K-mount FF!