Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 500 Likes Search this Thread
11-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #316
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ok.
Finally got a chance to do this and hope the results will be useful to everyone.

Managed to borrow a Ricoh GW3 wide angle converter for the GR to test our on the DP1m.
This is a converter than converts the 28mm to 21mm eq for the Ricoh GR and by most reports, a very good WA converter.
Ironically, the GW3 is 49mm thread and the GR needs an adapter for it.
On the Dp1m, it just screws on.

So here are the results.

W/o WA converter

Sample 1 -No GW3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

with WA converter

Sample 2 -with GW3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Pls go to the original full sized samples to have a detailed look.
As some of you know from my other reviews, I'm pretty lazy to do 100% cut outs and making sure they are rightly sized on flicker to prevent excessive compression and all that.
Just hate doing those sort of things...

Personally, I'm at a dilemma because of what it gives and what it takes away.
1. Much wider with the GW3 .

2. IQ in the center and for the most part the 75% of the frame, is not degraded that badly and can be recovered with a bit stronger sharpening (low sharpening settings by bayer filter standards actually). The usual DP1m shot needs none to a 25% str, 0.1 radius for my taste. With the GW3, perhaps it needs 50%; 0.2-0.4

3. There is vignetting on the corners. Not a big problem if there is nothing on the bottom corners (eg. roads/ trees/bush). Easily touched up if its sky.

4. Edges are actually ok. Only the corners are bad

5. Corner IQ drops off rapidly. Again, may be ok if the part of the photo at the corners are 'mushy' stuff like the sea, water, beach sand, bushes/grass (maybe). Can be a real disaster if its buildings like in this case.
It can be rectified a bit with careful cloning work for some photos, but hard to count on it.
I'd think that the composition of a photo using the GW3 on the DP1m will have to take into account the poor corners,
Either leaving important stuff out of them, or composing with the idea of cropping out the corners.

So mixed feelings.
It opens up possibilities with the wider angle on a small kit.
But corner IQ is bad.
Its about $300, and imo, for the pros/cons, it would be an easier decision to buy if it was nearer $230

At this point, I think I will wait for a used one on my local forum.

11-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #317
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting results on the ultrawide experiment, pinholecam. $300 is a lot to pay for an adapter. Wish the edges held up better. Does this adapter work better on the Ricoh it was designed for?

I have a big Canon wide adapter ( like 67mm threads) to try. I will hook it up and give it a spin.
thanks
barondla
11-09-2013, 10:22 PM   #318
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Super images johmmflores. You will have a tough time giving up the Sigma. Waiting to see some closeup engine details from one of those car or motorcycles you test. The Sigma is made for that kind of detail.
thanks
barondla
11-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #319
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Super images johmmflores. You will have a tough time giving up the Sigma. Waiting to see some closeup engine details from one of those car or motorcycles you test. The Sigma is made for that kind of detail.
thanks
barondla
Yeah. I gave it back to my brother. I'm going to miss it...

11-10-2013, 09:00 AM   #320
Pentaxian

Not impressed with the Sigma photos.
11-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #321
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for trying out that wide adapter, pinholecam. The biggest reason I got the SD1M was for wide. Even the 12-24 II, which is Sigma's top wide model, and a full-frame lens to boot, gets a little weak in the corners. It's still a great performer. I've never seen an ultrawide that doesn't get a little weak in the corners. This is at f/8 and 12mm.

Last edited by scratchpaddy; 11-10-2013 at 11:43 PM. Reason: update photo link
11-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #322
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Not impressed with the Sigma photos.
Oh no!

Well, it's good to hear a new opinion. Care to tell us what you don't like about them? Is it the grain? Maybe the colors? Maybe the people behind the cameras?

11-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #323
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Oh no!

Well, it's good to hear a new opinion. Care to tell us what you don't like about them? Is it the grain? Maybe the colors? Maybe the people behind the cameras?
Though not a Sigma owner (yet), I am, on the other hand, really taken with the shots on this thread.
11-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #324
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Interesting results on the ultrawide experiment, pinholecam. $300 is a lot to pay for an adapter. Wish the edges held up better. Does this adapter work better on the Ricoh it was designed for?

I have a big Canon wide adapter ( like 67mm threads) to try. I will hook it up and give it a spin.
thanks
barondla
Barondla, certainly look forward to your results with the Canon wide adapter.

If the GW3 had good performance, then its a 'must-get' item for the dp1m, too bad it was not as I had hoped.
From all accounts and from my friend who lent me the GW3, it does not have this problem on the GR.
On the GR, the adapter sits a bit away from the lens due to the mount adapter and there is a setting on the camera for adapter use, so its a bit different.

I did get very usable vertical FOV though and to me it makes a big difference in the photo composition.
as in the case shown, more vertical space allows the road and cross junction below to be seen adding to the leading lines towards the far end of the city.
So if I crop to 8x10 format, it may still do 'ok'
Certainly not problem free as I had hoped, so don't know if I should shell out the money for the adapter.

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Thanks for trying out that wide adapter, pinholecam. The biggest reason I got the SD1M was for wide. Even the 12-24 II, which is Sigma's top wide model, and a full-frame lens to boot, gets a little weak in the corners. It's still a great performer. I've never seen an ultrawide that doesn't get a little weak in the corners. This is at f/8 and 12mm.

Don't temp me...
I did not want to manage a 2nd system, so I passed on the SD1m.
11-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #325
Pentaxian

11-10-2013, 08:54 PM   #326
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
Though not a Sigma owner (yet), I am, on the other hand, really taken with the shots on this thread.
I agree. I find myself looking at this thread everyday. I just can't get over the fantastic images. Mildly looking at the used market..........
11-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #327
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I agree. I find myself looking at this thread everyday. I just can't get over the fantastic images. Mildly looking at the used market..........
I am curious to know whether the absence of any kind of shake reduction really is a problem. Sigma shooters responsible for these terrific pictures, are you shooting with tripods all the time?
11-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #328
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
I am curious to know whether the absence of any kind of shake reduction really is a problem. Sigma shooters responsible for these terrific pictures, are you shooting with tripods all the time?
Good question. From what I have read about this camera so far, I am assuming that these guys are using a tripod, but will like the hear their answers.

To me while thinking about this, it would be a landscape camera that I would take my time with by using a tripod, and taking the time to setup the shot. All in all I think that would all be a good thing - a nice challenge if you will........
11-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #329
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@pinholecam

I appreciate the test with the GW-3. I've been wondering what the difference is from the GW-1 and GW-2. Perhaps one of those is designed to sit closer to the lens? Another option would be a filter ring in between the DP1M and the GW-3, perhaps that would give it the seperation it needs. Hmm, this should be studied to be done right...time to find some GR diagrams and more info on the GH-3...
11-11-2013, 12:39 AM - 1 Like   #330
Veteran Member

The last hold of Autumn: