Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #391
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As pinholecam said, check some of the images in this thread at full size. The resolution/detail is incredible. The DP2M is 'quirky" and very limited compared to cameras currently on the market. The detail for portraits will show the minutest flaws unless you soften the image in post. That said, since I got mine my other cameras are gathering dust. heres a sample, click the link and then right click to view the original

http://www.flickr.com/photos/donscreation/9572198985/#

or this for landscape. view the original and look for the anhinga and turtles

http://www.flickr.com/photos/donscreation/10602963473/#

Last edited by ivoire; 11-23-2013 at 08:57 PM.
11-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #392
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Excellent advice from everyone here, but let me add something. The difference between Foveon and Bayer goes beyond resolution. The pictures look different, even without pixel-peeping. The biggest thing, to me, is that the colors just don't react the same way in post. You only see the end results here, but if you try processing some of the raw files I've posted, you might see what I mean. If you do get one of these cameras, plan on spending more time in post.

I haven't tried Iridient Developer since I use Windows, and it's only for Mac. I don't know how many Mac users we have here... anybody?
11-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #393
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm a Mac user… but hav eno idea what Iridient Developer is…I'll look it up.
11-24-2013, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #394
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Hey, Norm's back from his K-3 vacation! Iridient Developer is the only software known to man (other than Sigma Photo Pro) that can process Sigma's X3F files.

Here's something interesting I've been meaning to do for a while. In October, I took some pictures with the DP2M on a tour of the Four Peaks brewery in Tempe. Obviously, it was very dark in there, so, despite the dire risk to my health and well-being, I took some pictures at ISO 1600.

Here's one. It actually doesn't look horrible at websize. For all the pictures below, I turned off noise reduction and sharpening in SPP, and added +25 sharpening in Lightroom, a less heavy-handed replacement for SPP's default sharpening. No color correction or curve adjustments. I think it's been pointed out before that the colors start dying after ISO 400.

Here's a 100% crop of the same. On all the pictures below, clicking on them will take you to the full-size file.

The same, but processed in "Monochrome" mode in SPP:

Here's where things get interesting. This is just the red channel. As I've said before, red is on the bottom of the sensor. It gets the least light, so the camera has to boost it a lot to bring it up to the same level as the other channels.

Yikes...

And here's blue!

I've uploaded the raw of this file to the sample folder here. It's the file called DP2M, ISO 1600.
@NickLarsson , I see you dabble in B&W. IMO, if you take only the blue channel, the Foveon sensor is perfectly usable even at ISO 1600. Food for thought.

11-24-2013, 05:37 PM   #395
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Hey, Norm's back from his K-3 vacation! Iridient Developer is the only software known to man (other than Sigma Photo Pro) that can process Sigma's X3F files.
It can also process the K-3 .PEF file natively, and has some excellent noise reduction and sharpening algorithms. That said, at $75, it really isn't in the same league as $79 Lightroom (which also manages your photo organizing and lots of other details), but if you need Merrill .X3F support... it is also very fast and crash-resistant compared to the Sigma software! Sigma should totally license it for their Mac users...

Last edited by panoguy; 11-24-2013 at 05:49 PM.
11-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #396
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Update Time!

Sigma's quietly releasing updates for their cameras and software all the time, so it's easy to lose track. As a reminder, here's where your stuff should be as of today:

Sigma Photo Pro - ver. 5.5.3

I'd last updated maybe two months ago, and that was 5.5.2. To check your version, launch SPP, click the "Help" menu, and click "About SIGMA Photo Pro..." Starting a few months ago, the latest firmware updates for the Merrill cameras make their raw files incompatible with SPP versions earlier than 5.5.
It's not necessary to uninstall your previous version. Just download 5.5.3, launch the install file, and you will be upgraded.

DP1 Merrill - ver. 1.04

To check your firmware version, press MENU and scroll to the very last page, the 4th yellow wrench menu. Select "Firmware Update..." This applies to all DP?M cameras.

DP2 Merrill - ver. 1.05

DP3 Merrill - ver. 1.02

The link on Sigma Corp. of America's website is messed up: it takes you to the DP1 download page instead. I've given the correct link here.

SD1 Merrill - ver. 1.07

Pressing the i button to the left of the screen shows your current firmware version.

Follow all the instructions on the download pages I've linked to. Please don't brick your camera. Now have fun with your up-to-date Merrill! Here's another picture.

Last edited by scratchpaddy; 11-25-2013 at 08:59 PM.
11-26-2013, 08:08 AM   #397
Veteran Member

Amazon has the DP2M and DP3M for $747 shipped from Japan. Makes me think of adding the DP3M

11-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #398
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Amazon has the DP2M and DP3M for $747 shipped from Japan. Makes me think of adding the DP3M
The standard price is now $799 CAD up here, which is currently about $757 USD. DP3's don't seem to be in stock at the major stores, but if you can wait a few weeks for it to ship, at least any warranty claim shipping would be much cheaper.
11-26-2013, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #399
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've finally added a third lens to my Sigma collection, and I can finally say that the lens on my DP2M has finally met its match. Here's a few from its first test drive today, all clickable for full-size:

$4

3,4, and 7 are stopped down some. The rest are wide open. I don't think this lens is going to leave my camera any time soon.
11-27-2013, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #400
Pentaxian

For those interested, I did some comparison shots today, K-5, K3 and Sigma DP2 see the examples and the explanation of how they were taken here. > https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/243...ing-k-3-a.html For who just want the low down, even though I bought the K-3, my DP2 is still my sharpest camera.

Last edited by normhead; 11-27-2013 at 05:21 PM.
11-28-2013, 06:19 AM   #401
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
The standard price is now $799 CAD up here, which is currently about $757 USD. DP3's don't seem to be in stock at the major stores, but if you can wait a few weeks for it to ship, at least any warranty claim shipping would be much cheaper.
On the Sigma website all 3 Merrills (refurbished) are selling for $636.65 each

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/sigma-outlet/shop-cameras
11-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #402
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
I've finally added a third lens to my Sigma collection
And which lens would that be?
18-35 f/1.8, perhaps?

Impressively sharp in the center, and even at f/1.8 the corners don't look too bad! Yes, there's a bit of CA here and there, and the usual "busy bokeh" of Sigma zooms, but overall a very, very nice lens. Here's hoping they make it in Pentax mount someday!

Also, #4 demonstrates exactly why I can't stay away from the Foveon cameras. The undulating fencing has nary a hint of moiré, and every distant wire and tree branch is crisp and well-colored at single-pixel levels. Just crazy amounts of detail in the right light!

Last edited by panoguy; 11-28-2013 at 06:38 PM.
11-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #403
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
On the Sigma website all 3 Merrills (refurbished) are selling for $636.65 each

Shop Cameras | Sigma
You're in luck on this Black Thursday/Friday/Saturday, etc...

Adorama has brand new DP3 Merrills for $699. Where is that restraint now?
11-28-2013, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #404
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Scratchpaddy, thanks for the firmware update reminder. My Dp1Merrill was current, but the SPP was two versions behind.

Your new lens looks great. Sigma is really on a roll. Thanks for posting images. Trying to not buy another camera. This isn't helping.

I am adding a B&W photo from the DP1Merrill. The Sigmas are great monochrome machines. Used a variable ND filter to get the silky water.

thanks
barondla
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SIGMA DP1 Merrill  Photo 
11-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #405
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some people make fun of the DPMerrill styling. I like it. Very clean and simple. The DP1Merrill lens isn't as flare free as the Pentax lenses, so a hood is a must. The best looking hood I have found is by Hama. Looks like it was made for the Sigma. It gives great coverage of the wideangle lens. There are a few cons:

1. It takes a lot of room in the bag and rules out pocket carry.
2. It can't be used with a polarizer. It is orientation specific.

But I love the looks with the Sigma.
thanks
barondla
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo