Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 500 Likes Search this Thread
12-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #451
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
It's always warm in the Valley of the Sun!

SD1M, ISO 100, Zeiss Jena 135 f/3.5 @f/5.6

To be fair, I did take this in October. It was only 93° that day.
That almost hurts.... but won't be much longer for me. Leaving mid january for Goa India for 1-2 months at the beach. 90-95 in the day, 70s at nite. There is a possibility of a jump to sydney and melbourne. Just waiting to see if it works out

Last edited by ivoire; 12-10-2013 at 05:34 PM.
12-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #452
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
So here's a crazy comparison for all you Foveon-heads out there... can you tell which of these (100% crop) photos is from a Sigma SD1 Merrill with a Sigma 70mm Macro, and which is from a Pentax K-3 with a Sigma 70mm Macro (resized to match the Sigma). Taken a minute apart, but there were drifting clouds...

I'll be posting a full comparison thread later, with the Merrill files "inflated" to match the Pentax (which is closer to what pixelpeepers want), but this is an interesting beginning...
psst. You should mention that they were at the same shutter speed...
I'm just curious to see what you can get out of the raws, even though I am giving up 15mm in FL and using a "kit" zoom.

Well, you've certainly got the eye for Foveon! #1 is the K-3 (scaled down) and #2 is the SD1M at it's native 14.6 MP. Look for the "black halos" around the bolt holes in the red beams against the white tower. That's what Sigma Photo Pro adds! When I do the comparison images, I'll be using Iridient Developer, which doesn't "grunge up" the midtones...

Clarkey was out on this cold photowalk with me, and had his K-5IIs, but we didn't shoot with it because I hadn't AF adjusted the 70mm macro to it. His Fuji XE-1 was his real weapon of choice, though!

Oh, I'm ready... I've been here before, and this time the news is relatively good for Pentax. "Not so far behind Sigma Merrill IQ!" But you're quite right, there is a "foveon look" that can't be replicated in post-processing (and I'm really good at PP), so it isn't just the sharpness and detail.

AND because this is a "post-it-up" kind of thread, here is the Fuji-guy himself, as shot by the SD1M w/ 70mm Macro wide open:

(Processed in Iridient Developer)
Yes, guilty as charged - definitely on a Fuji kick at the moment. I did get a few good shots with the 15 though....and if it had been snowing (well we would have likely found another building, right?)

Oh, @ivorie, I forgot to ask: who's that handsome devil in the red jacket in your snowy night pictures?

@panoguy , Clarkey the Fuji-guy not bad looking, either! Very sharp portrait. Maybe we should get portraits of all ourselves and our fellow photographers on this thread. I've never actually been on the other side of a Foveon camera. I'd be afraid of what it might pick up!

Okay, scratch that idea. I'll stick with portraits of Skippy. She doesn't mind.

DP2M, f/6.3, ISO 200
Why thank you! Yes, that's a great idea - I suggest window lit portraits together with Coffee on a cold day and talking photography. All is well. I do look rather serious though.....
12-10-2013, 07:07 PM - 2 Likes   #453
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Leaving mid january for Goa India for 1-2 months at the beach. 90-95 in the day, 70s at nite. There is a possibility of a jump to sydney and melbourne. Just waiting to see if it works out
Sounds exciting! Can't wait to see pictures from that.

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
I suggest window lit portraits together with Coffee on a cold day and talking photography. All is well. I do look rather serious though.....
No no, I don't do cold days. I spent the summer building up an immunity to 110°F+ here, and my sub-freezing tolerance has gone out the window.

Yeah... no thanks.

Here's some more warmth for you northerners.

SD1M, ISO 200, 50mm EX DG Macro, f/5.6

I almost had to put on a long-sleeve shirt for this mid-October sunrise. Almost.
12-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #454
Veteran Member

scratchpaddy.... like it, like it, like it!

12-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #455
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I almost had to put on a long-sleeve shirt for this mid-October sunrise. Almost.
Har har. Enjoy bumping into all the "snow bird" Canadians who flee this country every winter and head for your balmy environs. They're the ones who never wear a jacket "because 55° is so warm!"
12-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #456
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Har har. Enjoy bumping into all the "snow bird" Canadians who flee this country every winter and head for your balmy environs. They're the ones who never wear a jacket "because 55° is so warm!"
I actually do enjoy bumping in to the snowbirds in the winter. You Canadians are such nice folk.

So, what next? Nothing to post?

SD1M, ISO 200, 50mm Macro, f/8

DP2M, ISO 100, f/5.6

Nothing is a tiny ghost town on Highway 93, midway between Phoenix and Las Vegas. Only a few years ago, this was a gas station and convenience store ("All Mart," the sign in the second picture says), but the owner either died or moved on.
12-13-2013, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #457
Pentaxian

I was a bit apprehensive about relying on the DP1m as my main landscape lens for a short trip.
28mm can be inadequate and I have not nailed down pano to a 100% success rate.
So the risk is there that I'd do the frames for the pano and later find that I can't get them stitched.

Luckily it turned out ok.
Used a Panosphere pano head.

5 vertical frames

It turns out that the 28mm is indeed not wide enough.
Compared to my K30+DA15, the latter always seem to just take in enough of a bit of foreground or sky.
The DP1m on the other hand at 28mm, just seem to miss by that little bit.

12-13-2013, 07:33 AM   #458
Veteran Member

scratchpaddy... nice pics of the 'no horse town'

pinhole cam... very nice pano. didn't know there was a building named after you I use the DP2 for panos and it usually requires 6 image minimum
12-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #459
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
It turns out that the 28mm is indeed not wide enough.
Compared to my K30+DA15, the latter always seem to just take in enough of a bit of foreground or sky.
The DP1m on the other hand at 28mm, just seem to miss by that little bit.
Why didn't you use the 21mm adapter for the GR, the FOV would have been closer to the DA15.

Nice pano anyway
12-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #460
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote

pinhole cam... very nice pano. didn't know there was a building named after you I use the DP2 for panos and it usually requires 6 image minimum

Ha..ha..
I sprayed the graffiti on at night

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
Why didn't you use the 21mm adapter for the GR, the FOV would have been closer to the DA15.

Nice pano anyway
GH3 for the GR has been returned.
I think the pano gives me best quality, so long as it can be stitched.
12-14-2013, 05:20 AM   #461
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Heavenly sunset scratchpaddy. Hilarious "nothing" shot. Population 4. What a location for some sci-fi/horror film.

Super pano pinholecam. Sorry your wide adapter didn't pan out( ouch). Pano is the answer. Dual row pano. Why do you think the standard panos don't alway stitch?

I still need to try the Canon wide adapter. It weighs about as much as the DP1Merrill.
thanks
barondla
12-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #462
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Heavenly sunset scratchpaddy. Hilarious "nothing" shot. Population 4. What a location for some sci-fi/horror film.

Super pano pinholecam. Sorry your wide adapter didn't pan out( ouch). Pano is the answer. Dual row pano. Why do you think the standard panos don't alway stitch?

I still need to try the Canon wide adapter. It weighs about as much as the DP1Merrill.
thanks
barondla

Sometimes the panos don't stitch.
I think its more my lack of understanding of how to get the frames right prior to the stitch.
It could be that foreground objects are not catered for (the pano head should help), other times its the loss of too much vertical space due to catering for the verticals poorly, sometimes its just the software (I think..).
Also, Hugin (which I am using) tends to be pretty bad with vertical panos too.

Of course there is also that uncertainty about framing/composition since certain portions might get cropped off in the stitch if no proper consideration was given when taking the frames.
But its a learning process for me, certainly.

No rush with the Canon wide, do it when you are free of course, it will be interesting to see the results.

Last edited by pinholecam; 12-14-2013 at 07:39 PM.
12-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #463
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Compact camera contest #73...

in the compact camera forum, is allowing the Sigma DP cameras to enter for the 1st time. Check out #72 and enter #73.

thanks
barondla
12-20-2013, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #464
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
in the compact camera forum, is allowing the Sigma DP cameras to enter for the 1st time. Check out #72 and enter #73.

thanks
barondla
Great opportunity for some fun stuff but the weather here is not very conducive to getting images. In the meantime here's one with the closeup lens attached

[IMG]
[/IMG]
12-21-2013, 10:12 PM   #465
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thats a real money shot! Ivoire, what type of closeup filter are you using?
thanks
barondla

Hope you have a safe,enjoyable trip and post some "postcards" in the forum.