Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 500 Likes Search this Thread
05-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That brings up another issue then. If I end up buying the DP1, DP2 and DP3, I should have just bought the SD1 with a 16-50 if it's available. On the other hand, if I'm happy with one of the others then I save a lot of money, and space and weight. There's just no easy answers in life. We're taking a couple friends out on a trip covering the next two weekends so, we won't be able to make it down. I'll have to make a decision about these Merrils before my tax return comes in.

05-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #47
bvg
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Boy you really nailed that church shot.
Thanks.
SD1M costs $2300 in Canada ! It is only $1800 incl delivery in Australia.

Last edited by bvg; 05-04-2013 at 12:59 AM.
05-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #48
bvg
Veteran Member

Some advantages of SD1M:
- body built like k-5, magnesium alloy (maybe WP)
- ergonomics reminds k-5
- shot clicking is even softer than k-5

A new suburb

by vld_bzh, on Flickr

Last edited by bvg; 05-06-2013 at 06:58 PM.
05-06-2013, 09:18 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DavidOBryan Quote
From the poultry swap today:
What a perfect way to show what the Foveon can do! Also, I agree that the DP's are the perfect way to get introduced to the sensor. It's not a bother to take it with you everywhere, all the time.

QuoteOriginally posted by bvg Quote
Some advantages of SD1M:
- body built like k-5, magnesium alloy (maybe WP)
- ergonomics reminds k-5
- shot clicking is even softer than k-5
Advantages of DP2M:
  • Essentially silent
  • Highly portable
  • Same sensor as SD1M

Disadvantages:
  • Slow as %&#@
  • High-ISO pics are... special
  • You're gonna need more batteries

St. John's Cathedral
Dang, I don't know if I can beat that. Okay... I see your Cathedral, and raise you a... warehouse. I'm sorry, this city has no history to contrast with the gleaming glass and concrete. I just moved here in November, and that warehouse was not there then. I guess you gotta work with what you're given, eh? Those clouds were definitely a gift. They might be the first ones I've seen since I bought this camera. I'm gonna need some before July hits.

05-07-2013, 03:46 AM   #50
bvg
Veteran Member

The warehouse and clouds are quite expressive

Chamber of brilliance

by vld_bzh, on Flickr
05-07-2013, 04:04 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
What a perfect way to show what the Foveon can do! Also, I agree that the DP's are the perfect way to get introduced to the sensor. It's not a bother to take it with you everywhere, all the time.

Advantages of DP2M:
  • Essentially silent
  • Highly portable
  • Same sensor as SD1M

Disadvantages:
  • Slow as %&#@
  • High-ISO pics are... special
  • You're gonna need more batteries

Dang, I don't know if I can beat that. Okay... I see your Cathedral, and raise you a... warehouse. I'm sorry, this city has no history to contrast with the gleaming glass and concrete. I just moved here in November, and that warehouse was not there then. I guess you gotta work with what you're given, eh? Those clouds were definitely a gift. They might be the first ones I've seen since I bought this camera. I'm gonna need some before July hits.
Whats going on with the clouds that have been blown out, they have straight horizontal lines going through them ??
Is this typical with blown out details on this type of sensor?
05-07-2013, 04:07 AM   #52
bvg
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
they have straight horizontal lines going through them
That is sunlights (diagonal lines)!

Also, SD1M has ovf without parallax, I like it more than k-5's.

Last edited by bvg; 05-07-2013 at 08:18 AM.
05-07-2013, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #53
Pentaxian

A couple from the recent Toronto "Pentaxians" (and other camera brands) meetup to see the cherry blossoms in a local park. Another guy from this forum had his DP2 Merrill as well, and mine was "borrowed" for a while.
(FYI: The model is dressed up like an animé character called "Sakura Li.")

*Couldn't recover the blown out sky, and forgot to AEBracket!
05-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #54
Veteran Member

That is sunlights (diagonal lines)!

Also, SD1M has ovf without parallax, I like it more than k-5's.
No im not talking about the diagonal sun light in the clouds. In the blown out areas of clouds there is lots of horizontal lines.
05-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #55
Site Supporter

For what it's worth, I don't see any horizontal lines in the blown out areas of the clouds.
05-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #56
Pentaxian

No im not talking about the diagonal sun light in the clouds. In the blown out areas of clouds there is lots of horizontal lines.
You might need to check your monitor. I downloaded the file and used a variety of tools on it, and there are no horizontal (or vertical) lines that are not part of the objects in the image (so no "artefacts").

Using "Threshold" is the easiest way to see minor variations in tone or color, per pixel, by moving up or down the histogram. See this screen movie for the results.

Last edited by panoguy; 05-07-2013 at 07:02 PM.
05-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #57
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The warehouse and clouds are quite expressive

Chamber of brilliance
by vld_bzh, on Flickr
Thanks! Careful taking pictures at the mall. I got busted last time I tried to do that. Are you going to make Mom sparkle with the Perfect Gift?

I'm stumped. It seems you're the only one seeing this. I would give you the semi-original .tiff, but I'm not sure how to send you an 84mb file.

I've never seen issues with highlights, but you could say this sensor has an issue with shadows, where green and magenta color banding tends to appear, especially at high ISO levels (David posted a great example of this a few pages ago). I shot the warehouse pic at ISO 100. A tiny bit of green banding appeared in the shadows, but only after I boosted the crap out of the saturation and did a bunch of shadow recovery. It isn't visible at web size.

@panoguy, I love the lighting in those two pictures you posted! That's the golden hour, right? I don't think the white sky detracts from the second picture. It's always hard to get both the sky and the ground exposed when the sun is that low. In the warehouse picture, I underexposed it by about one stop and restored the shadows in Lightroom. I'm amazed at how well that shadow slider works.

Here's another picture to keep it going. This dog isn't happy until every bowl is completely empty of water. I wonder what would happen if you gave him a whole pool?

Gotta wash the ball off...

05-07-2013, 08:52 PM   #58
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DavidOBryan Quote
April by DWO630, on Flickr

Love black and white from foveon sensors.
I feel like that picture could have lots of vibrant spring colors in it, but somehow, I don't miss them. It looks perfect without them. Nicely done. Very mysterious. Or maybe it's just the music I'm listening to that's making everything look dark and mysterious? Nothing like theremin and B&W!

Okay, now I want to play!

05-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
You might need to check your monitor. I downloaded the file and used a variety of tools on it, and there are no horizontal (or vertical) lines that are not part of the objects in the image (so no "artefacts").
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
I'm stumped. It seems you're the only one seeing this. I would give you the semi-original .tiff, but I'm not sure how to send you an 84mb file.
I've never seen issues with highlights, but you could say this sensor has an issue with shadows, where green and magenta color banding tends to appear, especially at high ISO levels (David posted a great example of this a few pages ago). I shot the warehouse pic at ISO 100. A tiny bit of green banding appeared in the shadows, but only after I boosted the crap out of the saturation and did a bunch of shadow recovery. It isn't visible at web size.
Yes it is quite strange, Im only seeing it on that photo and not on any other, its just in the blown out areas..
05-10-2013, 08:44 AM   #60
bvg
Veteran Member

I can not see anything too.

Smoggy sunrise
by vld_bzh, on Flickr