Smoggy sunrise
by vld_bzh, on Flickr
I think your lens is fogged...

05-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bvg Quote
I can not see anything too.
I thought you were talking about the fog.

QuoteOriginally posted by DavidOBryan Quote
I am also seriously considering taking the DP2M as my main camera on my UK family vacation this summer. Would that be crazy?
I actually feel like my DP2M is a better camera than the K-5 IIs under the right conditions, but the conditions aren't always right. You'd be sacrificing a lot of versatility compared to a "normal" camera. Plus, you'd need lots of batteries if you're planning on going on any shooting sprees.

Lovely picture, too.

One more. My dog (the red one) is 45 pounds. How much do you think he weighs?

05-18-2013, 04:12 AM   #63
bvg
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Some street dancing

by vld_bzh, on Flickr
06-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Very nice chicken, David! You're right, we need more pictures!

I took a bunch on a hike almost a month ago. I'm not sure why I haven't posted any yet. I have a real image hosting service now, so you can click for full-size, and you can browse through the rest of the pictures from the hike.

I'm still using my DP2M and K-5 IIs + Vivitar 13mm combo for hiking.

This area burned in a wildfire 13 years ago.

The trail ends at a fire road, where you can keep walking as long as you want. I only went a mile further, up to a 200-foot waterfall beside the road. The Sigma just wasn't wide enough for that, but you can find a picture I took with the Vivitar in the album.

It started drizzling right about here. I was a little worried, as I was five miles from my car, and there was a sign at the trailhead warning of flash-floods. It turned out to be nothing, really. It just made for some more dramatic lighting.

06-06-2013, 05:50 AM   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm putting in an order today after seeing the images in this forum and web browsing. Any advice on the best sd card for use with it? or other accessories i might need?
06-06-2013, 06:45 AM   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
I'm putting in an order today after seeing the images in this forum and web browsing. Any advice on the best sd card for use with it? or other accessories i might need?
Big, fast, class 10 cards are what you want, but really, the bottleneck is in the Sigma (6-10 seconds to write a single raw means it isn't using UHS-1 or even the max speed of a non-UHS card).

Also, an add-on grip is essential, IMHO: Richard Franiec's Camera Accessories

BTW, the Sigma "bayonet" hood, although well designed, is ~$40 (!) but made of plastic and prevents using filters or a lens cap. Really not worth it. Get a 49mm screw-on instead, if you find you need a hood...
06-06-2013, 07:02 AM   #67
Pentaxian

Thanks all for the tips. I'm ordering the DP2 Merrill from adorama in case i'm "intimidated". Their return policy is very good

06-06-2013, 07:11 AM   #68
Pentaxian

Thanks all for the tips. I'm ordering the DP2 Merrill from adorama in case i'm "intimidated". Their return policy is very good
I think I'll wait until it comes on sale....I'd like one, but, because of it's little snout sticking out it won't fit iin the spot in my Pelican case i had picked out for it. It's going to take more planning. I got to handle one at EXPOsure last weekend.
06-06-2013, 07:12 AM   #69
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's a quirky little camera, but I think the image quality makes it more than worth it. Be sure to show us some pictures when you get it!

The only accessory I've bought for mine is a Lowepro Dashpoint 20. It's just barely big enough to fit the DP2 Merrill. I wear it on my belt everywhere I go.

I already had an extra 32GB SD card, along with a few 49mm filters and a rubber lens hood from my SLR lenses.

I haven't bought extra batteries yet. Sigma is kind enough to give you two with the camera, and I can squeeze out about 150 shots from each. That's in warm weather, though. They might struggle in a Chicago winter!
06-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I think I'll wait until it comes on sale....I'd like one, but, because of it's little snout sticking out it won't fit iin the spot in my Pelican case i had picked out for it. It's going to take more planning. I got to handle one at EXPOsure last weekend.
Its $799 at Adorama and BnH which made me decide to try it out
06-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #71
Pentaxian

Its $799 at Adorama and BnH which made me decide to try it out
When I can get it for $799 this side of the border, I'll be buying one too. It's still over 1k here.
06-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
It's a quirky little camera, but I think the image quality makes it more than worth it. Be sure to show us some pictures when you get it!

The only accessory I've bought for mine is a Lowepro Dashpoint 20. It's just barely big enough to fit the DP2 Merrill. I wear it on my belt everywhere I go.

I already had an extra 32GB SD card, along with a few 49mm filters and a rubber lens hood from my SLR lenses.

I haven't bought extra batteries yet. Sigma is kind enough to give you two with the camera, and I can squeeze out about 150 shots from each. That's in warm weather, though. They might struggle in a Chicago winter!
I'll be in florida or goa india for most of the winter... dislike the cold here but spring thru fall is generally very nice
06-11-2013, 07:23 AM   #74
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The DP2M arrived today. I'm trying it out for a week to decide if I should keep it. So far I like it. It's not a "run n gun" camera and requires more thought in getting the shot. I bought this hoping to get Image quality like the RX1. I think this easily matches it.
Congratulations, ivoire! I think you'll wind up keeping it. Looks like you've got the hang of it already. I especially like that pink scooter shot. Don't judge me.

The Sony RX1 would trample all over these Sigmas in low light performance, and it would have an edge in subject isolation, but I believe the Sigmas can out-resolve the Sony. I mean, the Merrills are being compared favorably to the D800E! Plus, with the price, there's really no comparison. $800 for a DP2M, or $2,800 for an RX1?

I have shots from another hike I took on Memorial Day weekend. I was in the West Clear Creek wilderness, north of Payson, Arizona. Click for larger sizes. "O" is best!

It's really is good with clouds. I don't know how or why, but it is.

06-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Congratulations, ivoire! I think you'll wind up keeping it. Looks like you've got the hang of it already. I especially like that pink scooter shot. Don't judge me.

The Sony RX1 would trample all over these Sigmas in low light performance, and it would have an edge in subject isolation, but I believe the Sigmas can out-resolve the Sony. I mean, the Merrills are being compared favorably to the D800E! Plus, with the price, there's really no comparison. $800 for a DP2M, or $2,800 for an RX1?

I have shots from another hike I took on Memorial Day weekend. I was in the West Clear Creek wilderness, north of Payson, Arizona. Click for larger sizes. "O" is best!

It's really is good with clouds. I don't know how or why, but it is.

First one is my favorite. I'm 99% convinced i should keep this camera. It's a specialty item but i'm wowed by the detail it captures. I'm planning on visiting a Zen garden in a couple of days to try it out there. Most of my shooting is in daylight so i have no "low light" issues. I do like the simplicity of the camera and have the custom functions already set to bracketing, BnW and landscape. Some Chicago street shooting is on the menu for this or next week.