Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 500 Likes Search this Thread
07-20-2021, 04:50 AM - 8 Likes   #901
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CedrusMacro Quote
Time to keep this thread alive! Sigma DP1.
Sure thing to keep the thread alive in typical SIGMA slow pace...

r

SIGMA DP3 Quattro

07-20-2021, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #902
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brink Quote
Sure thing to keep the thread alive in typical SIGMA slow pace...

r

SIGMA DP3 Quattro
Many good things take time life with a Sigma is one- I wonder how much the Quattro improved on the DP1 speed? Now measured in trees ageing rather than glacial movements ?

Nice pic of the snail- the small human out of focus adds to scale and gives a sense of wonder.
07-27-2021, 01:29 AM - 1 Like   #903
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Many good things take time life with a Sigma is one- I wonder how much the Quattro improved on the DP1 speed? Now measured in trees ageing rather than glacial movements ?

Nice pic of the snail- the small human out of focus adds to scale and gives a sense of wonder.
Thanks for the reply!

The handling and AF speed of the DP1 Quattro is actually pretty reasonable. The Dp3 Quattro's soso. You can set a focus limiter in the DP3 and that speeds thing up a bit. Either way it still is slow going. But as you said; good things take time. Very true for these cameras. Set it to iso 100 and be amazed...
07-27-2021, 01:55 AM   #904
Veteran Member

Will the quattro range go to ISO 50? I've been pretty amazed the old DP's had this option, found it useful and shall post a coupl of pics with comparison to 100.

07-30-2021, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #905
Veteran Member

Will the quattro range go to ISO 50? I've been pretty amazed the old DP's had this option, found it useful and shall post a coupl of pics with comparison to 100.
No, it's lowest is 100.
My 6600 and a few A7 series do go down to 50. On a bright day and fast glass it does help.
07-30-2021, 12:38 PM   #906
Veteran Member

I said I'd share a comparison between 50 and 100 ISO, and here's two shots- both identical settings.

Thanks fiveseven, that's interesting to know they removed some of the old options.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SIGMA DP1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SIGMA DP1  Photo 
07-30-2021, 11:36 PM - 2 Likes   #907
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bit the bullet and just ordered a DP0Q. Reasons I love the concept:

1) The optic is amazing, I've read that the Sigma engineers were quite proud, with four FLDs, two SLDs, and two aspherical elements.
2) The optic is perfectly paired to the sensor. Kinda goes with (1), but having the free parameter of registration distance allows for better optic designs, especially for an ultra wide.
3) I don't need amazing AF when the DOF is so large.
4) I don't need a viewfinder when the FOV is massive.
5) I don't need shake reduction at such a low focal length.
5) It's *relatively* compact compared to the larger aperture ultra wide I'd need to provide similar quality stopped down to f/4.

I'm looking forward to fun adventures ahead, maybe a milky way shot or two.

Last edited by jeffshaddix; 08-31-2021 at 07:43 PM.
08-31-2021, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #908
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
I bit the bullet and just ordered a DP0Q. Reasons I love the concept:

1) The optic is amazing, I've read that the Sigma engineers were quite proud, with four FLDs, two SLDs, and two aspherical elements.
2) The optic is perfectly paired to the sensor. Kinda goes with (1), but having the free parameter of registration distance allows for better optic designs, especially for an ultra wide.
3) I don't need amazing AF when the DOF is so large.
4) I don't need a viewfinder when the FOV is massive.
5) It's *relatively* compact compared to the larger aperture ultra wide I'd need to provide similar quality stopped down to f/4.

I'm looking forward to fun adventures ahead, maybe a milky way shot or two.
Awesome to hear Jeff, I'm sorry for the delayed reply, but I bet you're enjoying time with the DP0Q!

Here's a couple to keep the thread running- would be awesome to see some of your shots.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SIGMA DP1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SIGMA DP1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SIGMA DP1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SIGMA DP1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SIGMA DP1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SIGMA DP1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SIGMA DP1  Photo 
09-06-2021, 05:03 PM - 2 Likes   #909
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Awesome to hear Jeff, I'm sorry for the delayed reply, but I bet you're enjoying time with the DP0Q!

Here's a couple to keep the thread running- would be awesome to see some of your shots.
Nice ones, good Foveon colors!

I got the DP0Q, and it's such a quirky beast. The IQ is top top notch, which was my aim. I just finished a long analysis to figure out best workflow. It's interesting... the camera can either produce an X3F or DNG, but they are not equivalent in processing. I've tested all combinations of X3F processing in Sigma Photo Pro and Kalpanika's X3F extraction tool (GitHub - Kalpanika/x3f: Tools for manipulating X3F files from Sigma cameras), as well as camera-produced DNG processing in Lightroom. I found that, compared to Sigma Photo Pro processing, the camera-produced DNG files have some color blotchiness, poor white balance, and bad color renditions in highlights. Thus, my process is:

1) Open Sigma Photo Pro
2) Find my photos on the SD card
3) Save as TIFF 16-bit sRGB to a different folder with a preset that is all default except: Chroma Noise Reduction set to 4 and Luminance Noise Reduction set to 0.
4) Import the TIFFs into Lightroom
5) Set sharpening to 40 (and radius to .7, detail to 40)
6) Edit in Lightroom to taste...

Step 3 is the important part. The chroma noise is much better handled out of SPP than Adobe products. This is to be expected given the vastly different sensor format. On the other hand, luminance noise can be handled fine in Lightroom. For now I'm holding on to the X3F files as well, in case I learn some amazing feature in SPP I want to use. It makes for a lot of space taken though, around 150MB/picture for the X3F+TIF. Regardless, I'm really happy with the output, sharp, excellent color rendition, and no color blotches.

Here's my first contribution to the thread, taken at Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison, CO:

Last edited by jeffshaddix; 09-06-2021 at 10:16 PM.
09-22-2021, 12:45 AM   #910
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Nice ones, good Foveon colors!

I got the DP0Q, and it's such a quirky beast. The IQ is top top notch, which was my aim. I just finished a long analysis to figure out best workflow. It's interesting... the camera can either produce an X3F or DNG, but they are not equivalent in processing. I've tested all combinations of X3F processing in Sigma Photo Pro and Kalpanika's X3F extraction tool (GitHub - Kalpanika/x3f: Tools for manipulating X3F files from Sigma cameras), as well as camera-produced DNG processing in Lightroom. I found that, compared to Sigma Photo Pro processing, the camera-produced DNG files have some color blotchiness, poor white balance, and bad color renditions in highlights. Thus, my process is:

1) Open Sigma Photo Pro
2) Find my photos on the SD card
3) Save as TIFF 16-bit sRGB to a different folder with a preset that is all default except: Chroma Noise Reduction set to 4 and Luminance Noise Reduction set to 0.
4) Import the TIFFs into Lightroom
5) Set sharpening to 40 (and radius to .7, detail to 40)
6) Edit in Lightroom to taste...

Step 3 is the important part. The chroma noise is much better handled out of SPP than Adobe products. This is to be expected given the vastly different sensor format. On the other hand, luminance noise can be handled fine in Lightroom. For now I'm holding on to the X3F files as well, in case I learn some amazing feature in SPP I want to use. It makes for a lot of space taken though, around 150MB/picture for the X3F+TIF. Regardless, I'm really happy with the output, sharp, excellent color rendition, and no color blotches.

Here's my first contribution to the thread, taken at Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison, CO:
A beautiful shot with your DPQ Jeff. Your findings with SPP is on point with what I've experienced with the DP1 (not advanced enough for DNG option, however I've played with converting and editing in Rawtherapee, but SPP handles it so much better).

Interesting point, do try other versions of SPP, they seem to render quite differently- albeit I've not tried the newer ones due to using the older camera and Linux.

The sharp and crisp colours are what I love with the Foveon. I'd love to see a black and white jpg from yours as I was impressed with the DP1 in camera handling.
10-02-2021, 03:23 AM   #911
Veteran Member

Playing with storm light.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SIGMA DP1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SIGMA DP1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SIGMA DP1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SIGMA DP1  Photo 
10-10-2021, 03:48 PM - 2 Likes   #912

Quick, casual, shooting on 2 different days at about the same time, one with Sigma SD1 with Sigma 18-35 f1.8 at 35mm f/4, the other on a Sony A7Rii, with a crop Sigma 30mm f1.4 at f/8. Sigma RAW pretty much OOC. Sony A7Rii significantly modified in post (add structure, contrast, exposure, color balance, etc.) in order to best approximate the Sigma. Guess which is which...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7RM2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SIGMA SD1 Merrill  Photo 
10-11-2021, 12:41 AM   #913
Veteran Member

I would like to say I guessed correctly l, but the exit data told the truth, the separation of subject is strong on the SD. Nice shot!
10-11-2021, 06:40 PM - 1 Like   #914

I would like to say I guessed correctly l, but the exit data told the truth, the separation of subject is strong on the SD. Nice shot!
Thanks. Just a grab shot of one of the "usual suspects" in the side yard -- hydrangeas are ever fascinating, aren't they?

I'm not sure that the size limitations of the site reflect the actual difference between the two. Again, taken on two separate days, but pretty close to the same conditions and time. And, I probably could do a bit more detailed work in post on the Sony.

But, the overall impression is, and I know it's been said many, many times before, is that the Sigma simply provides a more organic, 3D effect on the whole, which simply is either not possible, or not able to be reproduced with Bayer sensor-based cameras no matter how much one tries in post. It looks forced, digital, while the Sigma doesn't.

Interesting, not unexpected, but still surprising...
11-15-2021, 12:50 AM - 2 Likes   #915
Forum Member

Just purchased a dp2 Quattro with LCD loupe. Been out and about and took about 40 images (raw+jpeg). Handling was good. Image save time to card is long - need to get a faster card. The LCD experience took some time to get familiar with coming from a Fuji X100T w/EVF. Shot in black and white - even a s-hi jpeg in B/W came out lovely. Only a quick sliders adjustment in Lightroom. Went online to experience other's workflow -- decided to generate a s-hi jpeg in SPP from the raw image. Import the s-hi jpeg into Lightroom and process as needed. If i need a higher resolution file i can generate a tiff in SPP, import into LR and apply the previous jpeg processing to the tiff. Here is the s-hi jpeg OOC w/LR to taste. - Steven
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SIGMA dp2 Quattro  Photo