Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 500 Likes Search this Thread
04-05-2013, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Nice pictures, David.
Just wondering if they are jpg files out-of-camera or converted from RAW? I would like to hear your comments about IQ difference between jpg from camera and RAW.
To get the most from old DPx one needs to shoot RAW and processed in SPP.

DP1

04-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Glad you like the camera. IQ of Sigma DP is superior to many, many APS-C digital cameras outside. (oops I should not say this here ).
DP1
04-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #18
bvg
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have got first lens with Sigma mount. It is a terrible old zoom Sigma 28-200mm/f3.8-5.6. The sistem has some green corners and faulty AF, I hope that the lens is guilty. Some best pictures straight from the camera (handheld without stabilisation):

sigma 029 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
sigma 044 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
sigma 026 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
sigma 025 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
sigma 023 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

04-07-2013, 03:49 AM   #19
bvg
Veteran Member

100% crop:

04-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ddhytz Quote
IQ of Sigma DP is superior to many, many APS-C digital cameras outside. (oops I should not say this here ).
We'll just assume you're talking about Canon and Nikon DSLRs.

I have two questions about the last B&W pics you posted. Are they HDR? That sky is super dramatic. Also, is the second picture taken from the roof of the building in the first picture? How did you get up there??

To David, very nice pictures! I really like the 30mm for portaits. It's more intimate than the longer focal lengths of the typical "portrait lens." I really like the low perspective on that last one. How did you get such steady pictures? Do you have one of those folding pocket tripods?

QuoteOriginally posted by bvg Quote
It is a terrible old zoom
I'm glad you finally got your lens, but... man. I've never really heard good things about Sigma's super zooms. I think it's safe to say it's the lens, not your camera. The detail is there, but the pictures look super foggy. I really hope Medium FormatPro gets around to posting some pics from his. I'm really interested in seeing something from that 180mm macro he's got. I've heard people lamenting that it's not available for K-mount. It's supposed to be amazing.

Maybe Medium FormatPro has some advice for really good lenses that may be affordable. If I had an SD1, I'd go for the 30mm f/1.4 first. I have the K-mount version for my K-5 IIs, and it's my favorite by far. It's the reason I went for the DP2M over the 1 or 3.

There was a beautiful German shepherd at the dog park this morning. Most of the pictures I've taken with this camera needed a big contrast boost in post (even at f/8), but this one didn't need any. I guess I haven't quite figured out the camera's quirks yet.

DP2M, ISO 100, f/4:

100% crop of the same:
04-08-2013, 12:59 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
I have two questions about the last B&W pics you posted. Are they HDR? That sky is super dramatic. Also, is the second picture taken from the roof of the building in the first picture? How did you get up there??
The building is Melbourne Shrine of Remembrance. The second picture is taken from Shrine's balcony. -- No need to use Spider-Man's powers..

DP cameras are excellent HDR machines. You set up exposure bracket and they take three rapid shots quietly. .
The first one is HDR, the second isn't. both converted to B&W using Silver Efex Pro. Here is the color version of the second picture.
04-08-2013, 03:28 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Color version of the first picture, DP1 & HDR.

04-08-2013, 03:58 AM   #23
bvg
Veteran Member

That sky is super dramatic.
Sky and clouds is speciality of Foveon cameras
04-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #24
bvg
Veteran Member

I believe good Sigma lenses are 8-16/4.5-5.6, 17-50/2.8, 35/1.4, 70/2.8macro etc. So I hope to obtain used 17-50 soon and improve my IQ Wow 180/2.8macro is a bit pricy!
04-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #25
bvg
Veteran Member

100% crop after PP
04-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #26
bvg
Veteran Member

SD1M, Sigma 17-50/2.8@2.8, ISO400 (flash, heavy crop)

Nice bokeh!
by vld_bzh, on Flickr

Last edited by bvg; 04-14-2013 at 07:57 AM.
04-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #27
Veteran Member

DP2M seems like an excellent camera + lens...

i hope it is ok to put the link here....
04-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #28
bvg
Veteran Member

Early morning
04-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Keep the pics coming, guys! I like 'em so far.

Yesterday, I drove two hours to take a twelve-mile hike in the seldom-traveled Salome Wilderness, between Globe and Young on Highway 288, which is mostly paved. My car got a little dirty, but I managed to get a poster shot before I came to the dirt sections:

My K-5 IIs came, too, but with only one lens. I used the Vivitar 13mm (a rebranded Samyang 14mm f/2.8) for the shots where 30mm just wasn't wide enough. The ultra-wide is great for vertical scenes, like when I was descending into the canyon at the far end of the hike. I don't treat my DP2M as a DSLR replacement. It's an ultraportable camera that can take outstanding pictures under certain conditions. The K-5 is still far more versatile.

I really like the fact that 30mm is wide enough for most scenes, but it still allows some subject isolation.

This is from the rim of the canyon I hiked down into on the furthest mile of the hike. It's an out-and-back trail, so I had to climb back out the same way.

At the bottom:

The trail dead-ends at a crystaline pool of water at the base of a small waterfall. It's called "Hell's Hole." I have no idea why. It's quite pleasant, actually. Maybe they just wanted to keep people away. If so, it must be working. I hiked for six hours and saw only four people.

I really love this camera. It was at the ready in a little pouch on my belt the whole way. No bulky camera bag was necessary. Bringing the K-5 along as well kind of defeated the purpose of having a small camera, but it did fine in the backpack I was already using to carry the water. In other situations, I feel just fine leaving the bulky DSLR behind. I've seen with my own eyes that, in the right conditions, this little camera does even better than the K-5 IIs.

By the way, I took exactly 188 pictures on the hike, and I never had to use the spare battery I brought along. 200 pictures per charge is still bad, but that would be quite a few rolls of film. It all depends on what you're comparing it to.

I still hate the hoops I have to jump through to get the pictures out of Sigma's awful software. Every time I think I have it figured out, I'll do something that upsets it, and

04-23-2013, 03:21 AM   #30
bvg
Veteran Member

I still hate the hoops I have to jump through to get the pictures out of Sigma's awful software. Every time I think I have it figured out, I'll do something that upsets it, and
Maybe too many files in work directory? I have problems only in that case.

Last edited by bvg; 04-23-2013 at 06:26 AM.