11-17-2014, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #721
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

11-17-2014, 11:00 AM   #722
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm teetering on the edge of ordering a DP 2 Merrill. This thread is going to push me over. Alright if I ask you guys for advice if I need it?
11-17-2014, 11:14 AM   #723
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
I'm teetering on the edge of ordering a DP 2 Merrill. This thread is going to push me over. Alright if I ask you guys for advice if I need it?
Ask away
11-17-2014, 12:27 PM   #724
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Ask away

---------- Post added 11-17-14 at 02:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
Go for it.

---------- Post added 11-17-14 at 01:26 PM ----------

DP2M at ISO 1600
Many thanks! here goes. I think I probably know the answers to most of these questions, but just to be sure.

I take it that you use the DP 2, which I've fixed on as a good compromise between wide and long?

Reviewers often refer to the need to use the camera on a tripod. I assume they mean in low light with slow shutter speeds because of the camera's notoriously poor performance at higher ISOs. Though I have a tripod, I don't picture myself lugging it along with the Sigma. Do you use a tripod? How often?

One reviewer complained of a squeaking noise during automatic focussing. Do your Sigmas do this?

Looks as if both the optical view finder and the lens hood are worthwhile options. Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/220...#ixzz3JM7L9UIf

---------- Post added 11-17-14 at 02:37 PM ----------

Go for it.

---------- Post added 11-17-14 at 01:26 PM ----------

DP2M at ISO 1600
P.S. Mr. B.

Are your black and whites achieved in camera? with Sigma software? in some other way? I take it one cannot process shots made with Sigma's foveon sensor in Photoshop or plugins like Nik (which I use)?

11-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #725
Veteran Member

I chose the DP2M as a compromise also. My other option was to buy the DP1M and Dp3M combo. Eventually the DP3M may appear in my collection. Most of my outings are in very good light and I generally shoot at 100-200iso. I have a difficult time shooting below 1/100sec handheld as I have very shaky hands. It's extremely rare for me to use a tripod and I often set the camera on benches, trash cans, walls, etc when shooting at night. I'm lazy about carrying a tripod and a piece of cloth is lighter and protects from abrasion and a few well place coins adjust for level and angle. I shoot mostly color and use Sigma Photo Photo to process and save as 16bit tif. You can batch process the Sigma raw files and save as tif or jpeg. CS6 and Nik Silver Efex are used for BnW conversion. As to the squeaking, yes, mine does occasionally make a very slight noise when focusing. This is one quirky camera and has frustrated some users to no end. I suggest you buy from a dealer that allows returns (I did) and try it out.

I love the image quality, the no "frills" and the menu system. It is a clean and simple interface compared to the other cameras I own. I have the optical finder and use it once in a while. My lens hood is metal, purchased from china for $2.94 on ebay. I picked up the Sigma macro lens and find it very handy with near zero impact on IQ. Also, I found a stick on grip that mimics the Franiac for $15 from china. It required cutting a couple notches for access to the cameras right side ports (which I have yet to use). It does make it more comfortable for hand holding.
Let us know when you get yours
11-17-2014, 03:28 PM   #726
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
I chose the DP2M as a compromise also. My other option was to buy the DP1M and Dp3M combo. Eventually the DP3M may appear in my collection. Most of my outings are in very good light and I generally shoot at 100-200iso. I have a difficult time shooting below 1/100sec handheld as I have very shaky hands. It's extremely rare for me to use a tripod and I often set the camera on benches, trash cans, walls, etc when shooting at night. I'm lazy about carrying a tripod and a piece of cloth is lighter and protects from abrasion and a few well place coins adjust for level and angle. I shoot mostly color and use Sigma Photo Photo to process and save as 16bit tif. You can batch process the Sigma raw files and save as tif or jpeg. CS6 and Nik Silver Efex are used for BnW conversion. As to the squeaking, yes, mine does occasionally make a very slight noise when focusing. This is one quirky camera and has frustrated some users to no end. I suggest you buy from a dealer that allows returns (I did) and try it out.

I love the image quality, the no "frills" and the menu system. It is a clean and simple interface compared to the other cameras I own. I have the optical finder and use it once in a while. My lens hood is metal, purchased from china for $2.94 on ebay. I picked up the Sigma macro lens and find it very handy with near zero impact on IQ. Also, I found a stick on grip that mimics the Franiac for $15 from china. It required cutting a couple notches for access to the cameras right side ports (which I have yet to use). It does make it more comfortable for hand holding.
Let us know when you get yours

---------- Post added 11-17-14 at 05:28 PM ----------

I usually do B&W in Sigma Photo Pro. SPP is great for B&W conversions IMHO though the software is a bit slow and buggy. The level of control over the images is very once though. I am also not afraid to shoot high ISO for B&W.

This one was accidentally shot at ISO 6400

And these were shot on purpose at ISO 3200

You can't use the high ISO for color shots. Here is one at ISO 800 which is as high as I would go for color.

Hope this helps.
Many thanks for these illuminating answers! Hope to be able to take the plunge soon. My plan is to wait until I'm in the next billing cycle of my credit card before acting.

Last edited by jva59; 11-17-2014 at 03:30 PM. Reason: redundancy
11-19-2014, 06:47 PM   #727
Veteran Member

Looks like I am getting a used DP3 Merrill for my birthday!

I've been closely watching the shots posted here, and a few other places on the web, for a good long while and I finally decided to give one of the sigma cameras a shot. It should be arriving in the next few days but I'll have to hold off on using it until early December.

I downloaded the Sigma software version 6.1 and a few DP3 raw files to experiment with. The software crashed almost immediately. lol? So I uninstalled it and found version 5.5.3 and it seems much more stable.

As soon as I can start taking shots with it I'll post some here.

11-22-2014, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #728
Veteran Member

Wow, such a weird little camera. It's a lot smaller than I thought it would be. The raw files are amazing. I think my battery is old because it ran out after only about 50 shots.

11-22-2014, 02:21 PM   #729
Veteran Member

Yes it is a strange little pocket rocket. Sounds like you need some new batteries though. Nice pic!
Thanks Mr. Bassie.

Yeah, I'm going to order a new battery and maybe the ac adapter too. I do a lot of still life style shooting at my desk and it'd be nice to just not worry about power at all.

Anyone know if there is a wireless flash trigger that works with the DP3?
11-23-2014, 04:36 AM   #730
Veteran Member

The AC Adapter is really good, especially usefull if you are doing a static shoot.
11-23-2014, 08:31 AM   #731
Veteran Member

I ordered a new battery and the ac adapter last night. Should be here after Thanksgiving weekend. It's going to be frustrating dealing with the old battery until then. I do a lot of my shooting at my desk so the ac adapter will be a life saver.

I need to play with the camera a lot to get comfortable with how it works. But, it seems quite logically laid out given the limitations of the body size. So it'll just take some time.
11-28-2014, 07:43 PM   #732
Pentaxian

DP1m

I am still not brave enough to do it, but I got to just bring this camera out as my only camera for a month and see how it goes.
It most reminds me of shooting film, being aware of what I want to expose for and leaving out what is clipped.
Also, that incorrect (but nice ) color that so reminds me of film.
And the BnW too.
11-29-2014, 09:57 AM   #733
Veteran Member

Yes I find the controls and menu to be pretty easy to navigate. The slowness of the camera is a bit difficult though.
Yeah, it's pretty slow to write files but the rest of the camera seems fine in terms of responsiveness. I haven't had much time to shoot with it over the last week but hopefully today or tomorrow I'll be able to get out and do some shooting.
12-01-2014, 10:18 PM   #734
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I've taken the plunge. Order for a DP 2 Merrill placed at Adorama.
12-02-2014, 05:08 PM   #735
Veteran Member

I am loving the DP3 so far. It's quirky and challenging but the results are so very nice.

I bought a marumi +5 macro adapter because 1:3 just isn't macro enough :-P