Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #16
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
My wife usually accuses me of the opposite.
Just a little tip...make it seem very complicated, put in some settings that will guarantee some horrible shots in Manual mode and let her shoot a few. When she complains, tell her you made a stupid mistake (they're used to that) and apologize and tell her you will work with it...a while....... to see if you can get it to improve. Worked for me!

Regards!

04-11-2013, 06:11 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've done girls, cows, good food, and a few other things, but does the X20 do a sunset in Texas? If not, it goes back in the box and is a goner......so, does it?
Yep, it does!

Still exploring the many different settings and options available, it's pretty loaded. Lots of fun ahead with this little jewel!

Regards!
04-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So no one gets confused ( mostly me) the X20 will not replace your DSLR, and I doubt many small cameras will do that at this stage of camera technology. I went out this afternoon with the K5 and Bigma 50-500 for a few shots, and while the X20 is wonderful, it will never match the abilities of a camera like the K5 and all the lens options available.

Compare this with the longhorns above by the X20...at small sizes they are comparable. At big sizes, not so much!
K5 +Bigma 50-500 Crop from about 150 feet away.
[IMG] [/IMG]

Keep your DSLR, you may need it! However, for a small carry-everywhere camera, it's still the X20 for me!

Regards!
08-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #19
Forum Member

what do you think now?

Rupert,
Do you still like the x20? I have a K5 with various lenses and am getting tired of lugging them all around.
I've been thinking about what I want to do with photography:
1. Document in an interesting way family and friends
2. Use equipment that produces technically high image quality regardless of my effort at composition
3. Retain enough control to capture moments of inspiration - Aperture, shutter, and ISO

I've also been thinking about what I don't like about how I am currently doing it:
1. Lugging a big heavy camera and multiple lenses around
2. Using equipment my wife doesn't really know how to use
3. Allowing the photography take over the activity I am documenting
4. Did I mention lugging big heavy equipment around?

I am only interested in cameras with an optical view finder and my research into alternatives has lead me to the X20. Some have complained about noise in iso higher than 800. What has your experience been? Do you still think it is a worthy alternative to a dslr?
Thanks,
Al