Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #1

Super Takumar 1:3.5/135 lens dof

ok so i just got the super takumar 1:3.5/135 lens and i am confused as i see other people using it for filming and close up photographs but when i take pictures with it, it only does really shallow dof macro shots. I know its an incredible lens and i just think im not using it right i am kind of new to the whole photography thing but i do know my stuff... please help. oh btw i use a Canon 500D ive attached some pictures to show you the shallowness.

Attached Images

04-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Guess we need to start with a basic question. Are you stopping down the lens at all, and are you making use of the A/M switch?
04-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #3

Original Poster
Yup ive tried that sorry i wasnt clear enough is there a way of getting the dof less shallow without decreasing the aperture or is that the only way... is there a way to compensate for the light without having to increase the exposure time

and i have looked at the A/M switch but im puzzled as to what it does
04-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only way is it stop down or shoot stuff that's far away.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The only way is it stop down or shoot stuff that's far away.
ok thanx but how do i shoot stuff thats far away becuz it doesnt seem to focus on far away objects
04-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #6

Original Poster
and also what does the A/M switch do
04-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arcane Quote
ok thanx but how do i shoot stuff thats far away becuz it doesnt seem to focus on far away objects
Take the 500D off the lens and it will focus normally (assuming it isn't broken). Right now it's working exactly as it is supposed with a diopter stuck on the end of it.

and also what does the A/M switch do
On some m42 mount cameras the A/M switch allowed the camera to stop down the lens aperture when the shutter tripped, as opposed to having to stop it down manually before the shot. Depending on what camera you're using it on it may not matter which position you have the switch in.

04-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
Take the 500D off the lens and it will focus normally (assuming it isn't broken). Right now it's working exactly as it is supposed with a diopter stuck on the end of it.

On some m42 mount cameras the A/M switch allowed the camera to stop down the lens aperture when the shutter tripped, as opposed to having to stop it down manually before the shot. Depending on what camera you're using it on it may not matter which position you have the switch in.
i dont quite get what you mean, do you mean take the lens of the camera and i dont quite get what you mean by diopter
04-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

i dont quite get what you mean, do you mean take the lens of the camera and i dont quite get what you mean by diopter
You said you were using a Canon 500D, that's a diopter (close up filter) to make a lens shoot closeup (macro) shots. Take it off the end of the lens. If there is in fact no closeup filter on the lens and you are using a Canon 500D camera (sorry, I'm not up on Canon nomenclature) then either the lens or the lens adapter or the camera itself may be defective if the lens won't focus to infinity.

A picture of what you are shooting with would be very helpful in diagnosing the issues you are having.
04-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #10

Original Poster
You said you were using a Canon 500D, that's a diopter (close up filter) to make a lens shoot closeup (macro) shots. Take it off the end of the lens. If there is in fact no closeup filter on the lens and you are using a Canon 500D camera (sorry, I'm not up on Canon nomenclature) then either the lens or the lens adapter or the camera itself may be defective if the lens won't focus to infinity.

A picture of what you are shooting with would be very helpful in diagnosing the issues you are having.
haha sorry yeh im using the camera canon eos 500d not the filter. its just lets say that im focusing it, it wont focus to the end of the room its just blurry it doesnt focus the whole way. i have to move forward into the focus area which is suprisingly short, however when i turn the aperture of the lens down it becomes less of a blurry picture and focuses a bit more
04-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #11

Original Poster

i have found the solution, its an internal problem with my lens. Thank you guys for helping me with everything
04-29-2013, 01:51 AM   #12

Hope you get the lens working, it is very good lens as you said.