Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Nikkormat FT, 55mm 3.5 PC Micro-Nikkor Quality

Hi all,

Just visited the local thrift store and came home with a Nikkormat FT body with the 55mm 3.5 Micro-Nikkor. Has anyone used this equipment, specifically the lens? What's your opinion of it?

It appears to have been in use not too long ago, since the Nikkormat has a new Varta alkaline battery (and the meter works). The lens is in good shape.

I plan on flipping the equipment -- I have no use for Nikon non-AI cameras or lenses. What would be a fair price to pay for a FT with heavy brassing and some light dents (but fully functional) and a 55mm 3.5 Micro in excellent condition?

Thanks!

04-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There were several posts about pre AI lenses fitting Pentax K moun (they say most don't rotate fully in the mount--I never tried it)t.

Anyway for a decade a (micro) 55mm f3.5 and 35mm f2.8 were my only Nikon lenses--and the 35mm f2.8 was very good and the micro was excellent. Seems to me to be sharper than my K 50mm f/4 macro (although I only used the latter on digital and the former on film--although was mostly kodak ectar 125--so likely a reasonable comparison). The 55mm f/3.5 is likely one of the three or four most famous manual Nikon lenses.
04-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, the Pre-AI lenses do technically fit on a Pentax body. But, they don't focus to infinity (different flange distance), nor do they actually rotate and lock. You also do not get any automatic aperture control. Not my cup of tea.

I'm probably going to post the camera (which I've later learned is actually an FTn and not just an FT) and lens on eBay.
04-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
Yes, the Pre-AI lenses do technically fit on a Pentax body. But, they don't focus to infinity (different flange distance), nor do they actually rotate and lock. You also do not get any automatic aperture control. Not my cup of tea
They will actually focus slightly past infinity...you can get them to lock by cutting a small slot for the Pentax lens release.

AI lenses need a bit of destructive modification, AF lenses need the corrected adapter...