Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2013, 12:47 AM   #16
Veteran Member

X20 is $500 in HK. Buy it here and get a free weekend break with the savings.

04-18-2013, 05:55 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Unfortunately I'm not headed to Hong Kong.

Now, just to muddy the waters, I hear rumour of an imminent announcement of the Panasonic LF1, supposed to be end of this month. Sounds like the same class of camera as the LX7, but with integral EVF... Which would be interesting, but specs (rumours) seem to be all over the place at the moment.

Aaarrrggghhh!
04-18-2013, 06:19 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by roblgs Quote
Unfortunately I'm not headed to Hong Kong.

Now, just to muddy the waters, I hear rumour of an imminent announcement of the Panasonic LF1, supposed to be end of this month. Sounds like the same class of camera as the LX7, but with integral EVF... Which would be interesting, but specs (rumours) seem to be all over the place at the moment.

Aaarrrggghhh!
It'll come in around the $1000 arena and the leica version a lot more .
04-18-2013, 06:41 AM   #19

Original Poster
Hmmm... That seems a little hard to justify if it's to compete with the others around the US$6-700 mark... X20 for example... unless they also increase sensor size and pixel count while keeping the faster lens and zoom range... or also make it faster and wider. There would have to be something really outstanding to justify a US$1000 tag on a compact... even a premium one.

It would also be beyond my reach...

Still, end of the month isn't that far off... I can be patient a while longer yet!

04-18-2013, 09:49 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Let me help you spend "more" of your money

How about the Sony NEX-6 with a 16-50 zoom (24-75, 35mm. equivalent) and you can grow the system if ever needed, it has a bigger sensor and the same sensor in some DSLRs *I dunno*

*the lens on the NEX-6 is a 16/2.8 but it's similar in size to the 16-50*

it is also out of your planned budget but I thought i'd toss the bone in

btw I don't know how the "i-zoom" works as i never will try it but when i had a TZ5 for the minion, she said it was "kewl" and she got some good images using it and was the only camera she'd use...*the "minion" is my older sister*, i replaced the TZ with the LX5 and the minion got confused and shoots everything on full auto, the minion is technically challenged so if your wife is the same just get a P&S like a MX1 or similar and "forgetaboutit"
04-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mingthien:
Performance at base ISO is a clear step up on the other 10/12MP 1/1.7” sensor cameras, with crisper details and slightly more dynamic range; having recently shot the Leica D-Lux 6/ Panasonic LX7, I can say that there’s a clear step up between the two.
okay this settles it for me

Ming Thien's review of the X20
04-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #22
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

That's a fair and balanced review. I think the X20 is outstanding, but of course, I am highly biased. One thing that bothers me is the general lack of understanding of the available settings on the X20, and how they are best used. Fuji offers a wide range of settings from film styles to scene types. You can't expect great shots if you are shooting in the wrong mode. This is a sophisticated little camera, and only by reading and understanding the different settings can you expect to obtain the results you desire.
This is somewhat true on all cameras, that's why they have manuals...for idiots like me that just pick up and shoot, without reading a damn thing and then go out and broadcast poor results.

Regards!

04-27-2013, 12:08 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Let me help you spend "more" of your money

How about the Sony NEX-6 with a 16-50 zoom (24-75, 35mm. equivalent) and you can grow the system if ever needed, it has a bigger sensor and the same sensor in some DSLRs *I dunno*

*the lens on the NEX-6 is a 16/2.8 but it's similar in size to the 16-50*

it is also out of your planned budget but I thought i'd toss the bone in

btw I don't know how the "i-zoom" works as i never will try it but when i had a TZ5 for the minion, she said it was "kewl" and she got some good images using it and was the only camera she'd use...*the "minion" is my older sister*, i replaced the TZ with the LX5 and the minion got confused and shoots everything on full auto, the minion is technically challenged so if your wife is the same just get a P&S like a MX1 or similar and "forgetaboutit"
The 16-50 powerzoom can be zoomed manually like a normal zoom lens or can be used with the zoom switch which I think is smoother and designed for video. Either way, its a decent lens, not as good as some of my (much higher priced) primes, but for the size versus capability, its a winner and keeps the NEX combo very small and portable. No comparison whatsoever IQ-wise, when compared to a compact camera, not even in the same game.

Jason
04-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #24
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Even the X20 is too large to be a "pocket camera"....jacket camera works, but not a shirt pocket. Once you go to interchangeable lenses. you have lost all the benefits of a small camera, and can best compare it to a ordinary DSLR, because that is more what it is. The NEX-6 compares better to a K5 than to an X10/X20.
IQ is important.......no doubt...but if you are printing 8x10 or smaller, posting most of your shots on the internet, and not trying to shoot for Nat Geo, most any of the truly small cameras will be more than adequate.

Could my K5 +DA*50-135 or 43 Ltd do better? Perhaps, but 99% of viewers would never know it.

X20
[IMG] [/IMG]

Regards!