Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lumix LX7 or Fuji X20

Hi,

I've been enjoying a K-5 for over a year now, but it's not so convenient when travelling by air when I try to keep with hand baggage only... It becomes a question of clothes or camera kit, and unless I'm travelling specifically with photography in mind, then it doesn't make sense to be carting kgs of K-5 and lenses around with me.

I have an overseas business trip looming and would love to take a small, but competent camera with me that can be carried all the time without the fuss of interchangeable lenses. I've narrowed it to the Lumix LX7 or Fujifilm X20.

LX7 because: smaller, 24mm, faster lens, aperture ring, 3rd party support for raw format, cheaper

X20 because: larger, optical finder, zoom ring, threaded shutter button, 110mm, larger sensor, 12MPixels

Both do macro to a 1cm distance, which is something I would want, and both do panoramas, although the LX7's reportedly suffers vertical banding.

Pricing difference here in Thailand is severe... The LX7 I know can be obtained for THB 11,200 (about US$385), while the X20 retails at THB19,900 (about US$685)... I'll be travelling though Singapore (airport only) to Australia, so what are prices like in either of those two places? Australia, checking online, seems expensive to me... even more so than Thailand. But if anyone is able to check prices at Changi airport over the next week or so, it would be much appreciated.

The thing that bugs me with the LX7 is the lack of optical or electronic veiwfinder. Adding one brings the prices of the two very much closer together, but I have no idea how much one would cost here as it is impossible to find prices online, while australian prices are again ugly. This is the key reason why the MX-1 isn't under consideration... would love to have one otherwise, had 2 MXs in past history!

Does anyone have experience of using both? Do you have a preference? Why?

Cheers

Rob

04-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was looking at both also but when the price of the LX7 dropped to $247*correction* $298, I went that route with the EVF which have both since risen again in price. I would say after countless review readings, they're both equally capable with each user having their own biased pros and cons.

I use www.photoprice.ca and/or www.shopbot.ca to price and online shop for my gear addiction.

Last edited by Clicker; 04-17-2013 at 12:28 PM.
04-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

If you read my preview posted here, you know I am highly biased, but that aside, you would have to love the fantastic OVF on the X20, and the every useful information it gives you right on the OVF screen. That is a fact, no bias can change.

Secondly, if you love beauty in your camera and a solid metal body of first class construction, with not even a hint of a plastic feel, the X20 can send that shiver up your leg at first glance/touch.
Those things aside, the more I use the X20 the more I am impressed with what Fuji has done to uprade this little camera in so many different areas it would take a long while to report here.

Thirdly, everyone is different, everyone has different requirements...but if you buy anything similar without holding the X20 in your hands, and then at some point in the future get a chance to do so, I can almost guarantee you will regret anything else you bought.

Regards! & whatever you do, I hope you have a fantastic trip!
04-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #4

Original Poster
Hi,

Thanks Rupert... In fact I'd seen your glowing review before posting my question... no doubting which side of the fence you reside!

Do you shoot jpeg or raw? I'm a little concerned by the lack of raw format support for the fuji amomng my processors of choice... Aperture & DxO... Apple may eventually get around to supporting it, but I'm not holding my breath for DxO.

Like I said, I see positives for both cameras, and probably fewer negatives to the X20, though I would love it to have the 24mm and f/1.4 of the LX7, or for the LX7 to have the viewfinder and 12MPixels of the X20.

Whichever I go for it will be a compromise of sorts... though both are very capable cameras.

And thanks too, Clicker... price is a factor.

Common pricing here on the LX is very close to that of the X20, just that there is one store locally with a much more sensible price that gives a near US$300 difference (but without viewfinder).

Local duty-frees are generally more expensive than street, but I'm curious if anyone is travelling through Singapore Changi airport, or Bangkok can give current duty-free prices on both cameras in both airports... I don't expect them to be cheaper than street, but you never know..., and it might swing the decision.

I have a feeling I may be more comfortable with the X20, but budget wise my wife would be happier with the LX7... but she'd be happiest if I just stuck with the iPhone, even though it just feels totally wrong for taking photos... The politics of gear-affliction!

Cheers

Rob

04-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I only own the LX7. It's surprisingly good with very nice controls. The lens is very nice but susceptible to flaring - I suspect it's because the front element is has no hood or protection at all. It is a small sensor but the lens is so fast and IS good that I rarely go above ISO800, which is still quite servicable.

Here are some samples:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnmflores/sets/72157633165522162/detail/

FWIW.
04-17-2013, 05:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

groupon deal about 1 day left

Panasonic DMC-LX7K 10.1 MP Digital Camera with 7.5x Intelligent Zoom Deal of the Day | Groupon
04-17-2013, 06:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Really good deal. I especially like the specs in bullet points...

"Aperture control ring acts as a terrifying bouncer to the sun’s rays "

Jason

04-17-2013, 06:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

That is a hell of a good buy! Still, having recently held both cameras, if the LX7 was $99. and my X20 still $599, I wouldn't even have to think about it, I'd walk away with the X20. Hold them both and you might do the same!
The more I discover about my X20, the more satisfied I am with it. Wonderful is too mild a word!
Regards!
04-17-2013, 06:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

In my opinion, the only thing which prevents the LX7 from being the perfect compact P&S is the sensor size. Putting in a 1 inch sensor into that body with those features is do-able.

Jason
04-17-2013, 07:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

My dad thinks the LX7 is great for ...

... grooming tutorials

heehee

also within your price point is the Nikon 7700 if you need longer reach BUT both the X20 and LX7 will be better overall in "low-light" situations, the LX7 would have on paper better video capabilities but to be honest although some say it is an "afterthought" with video on the X series, I say it's very capable if all you'll need is to record moments without need for post processing later.

Last edited by Clicker; 04-17-2013 at 08:09 AM.
04-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
I was looking at both also but when the price of the LX7 dropped to $247
When in the world did that happen???

I think the LX5 was down that low but the LX7 never was...
04-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
When in the world did that happen???

I think the LX5 was down that low but the LX7 never was...

+taxes included yada yada

*correction* $298

I caught wind of it reading ming thien's blog as he posted " the Panasonic version has now fallen to below $300 " source and I think it was also posted over at Olivia's site. *I also have the LX5 which is also good but the LX7 is just that much better*

Last edited by Clicker; 04-17-2013 at 12:39 PM.
04-17-2013, 08:14 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks for the rush of replies…

I'm curious about the LX7's 'intelligent zoom'. How much of a gimmick versus usable tool is it? Can someone with experience of it post sample with/without shots?

The deals on prices are all very interesting, but also very frustrating... 'Free shipping' never extends to this part of the world and after import duties get added the end price exceeds locally available pricing on the LX7... or whatever 'deal' there is.

I'll get the chance to handle them this weekend I think (hope), so I should get a clearer idea of which will better suit my needs/wants at that point... Up to now it seems a remarkably difficult decision between two very capable cameras.

Thanks again.

Rob
04-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No RX100?
04-17-2013, 10:06 PM   #15

Original Poster
No. Excluded itself by having no viewfinder or option to fit one... Plus I want easy access to manual controls.