Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2013, 07:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Building a Travel Kit

I'm going to be travelling to Spain for a few weeks in June. I'm not going to be taking my D600 and f/2.8 lenses due to the size and weight so I'm looking to build a relatively light travel kit. I'm not quite at the point where I can live with a fixed lens so cameras like the X100s and the new Rico are out. My current thinking is:

X-Pro1 - I thought about the XE-1 but I really like the optical viewfinder although it's not a deal breaker.
35mm f/1.4 - normal
14mm f/2.8 - wide
55-200 f/something to something - for the occasional telephoto
Shutter release cable
A small light tripod with a built-in monopod
A 3-stop and 10 stop ND filter
Various accessories like lens cleaner, extra battery, extra memory cards, etc.
A non-conspicuous bag

Anything I'm missing? I'm open to other brands like Olympus but I don't know the lens equivalencies.

04-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote
I'm going to be travelling to Spain for a few weeks in June. I'm not going to be taking my D600 and f/2.8 lenses due to the size and weight so I'm looking to build a relatively light travel kit. I'm not quite at the point where I can live with a fixed lens so cameras like the X100s and the new Rico are out. My current thinking is:

X-Pro1 - I thought about the XE-1 but I really like the optical viewfinder although it's not a deal breaker.
35mm f/1.4 - normal
14mm f/2.8 - wide
Shutter release cable
A non-conspicuous bag

Anything I'm missing? I'm open to other brands like Olympus but I don't know the lens equivalencies.
How about a Pentax K-01 and three nifty little DA Ltd lenses to cover all your traveling. With 15mm/21mm/40mm/70mm you can cover a lot. Don't take to much stuff with you, you won't miss it when it's not around. Maybe a gorillapod for support.
04-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I recently traded in my XF18mm and 60mm for the 18-55mm zoom for my XP1. The lens is a really good performing kit lens. It is my travel light with one lens kit. But since having it, I do not use the OVF anymore. The lens obstructs the RH side in the OVF. YMMV.
04-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Sony RX100...
Spare battery.
USB cable to charge.
Wrist strap.

04-18-2013, 05:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
How about a Pentax K-01 and three nifty little DA Ltd lenses to cover all your traveling. With 15mm/21mm/40mm/70mm you can cover a lot. Don't take to much stuff with you, you won't miss it when it's not around. Maybe a gorillapod for support.
Thanks for the suggestion but I've played with the K-01 and it's not a camera for me.
04-18-2013, 05:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I recently traded in my XF18mm and 60mm for the 18-55mm zoom for my XP1. The lens is a really good performing kit lens. It is my travel light with one lens kit. But since having it, I do not use the OVF anymore. The lens obstructs the RH side in the OVF. YMMV.
Interesting. I might look into the 18-55. The reviews look good. I guess I'm jaded based on the focal length, although it's a step above the usual kit lens.
04-18-2013, 06:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

For what RonHendriks1966 crossed out you could add in place an M adapter and a voitlander 75 I was going that route then I forgot I don't want to manually focus in this age of auto focus and will wait for the 56/1.2

04-18-2013, 06:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
For what RonHendriks1966 crossed out you could add in place an M adapter and a voitlander 75 I was going that route then I forgot I don't want to manually focus in this age of auto focus and will wait for the 56/1.2
Great suggestion! I was actually thinking about getting an M mount telephoto instead of the 55-200mm. I didn't know anything about M lenses though. Any other suggestions?
04-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote

35mm f/1.4 - normal
14mm f/2.8 - wide
Shutter release cable
A non-conspicuous bag

It depends how much you want to spend, I guess. A friend has the X-Pro1 and says it's fab providing you don't want to shoot things which are moving, at least more than slowly. The same is true of the K-01 which I do own. Can't speak for Olympus. The OMD seems highly desirable but good lenses for it cost $$. Spain = bright = polarizer? Small travel flash?

If you want to keep costs down and already have some Pentax lenses, you could look at a K30 plus a couple of spare batteries (or the AA battery holder) and may be the new Sigma 17-70mm if it is out yet or a WR 50-200mm. Any of these should be easy to sell or px when you return.

I'd still take a compact with me even if I took the fuller-sized stuff. Hope you have a great trip.
04-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member

You also may want to add the little X20 flash and a Canon off camera cord. If you are going to be on the water or/and sand some protection filters would be useful.
04-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Can second the quality of the Fuji 18-55mm. Despite the unexciting focal length range, it's the best zoom lens I've ever used. More like a bag of primes to invoke a cliché. X-E1 plus 18-55mm is the same price more or less as the X-Pro 1 body only. X-Pro 1 is very nice, of course, although somewhat heavier, but is the OVF really worth the extra $$$?
04-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by top-quark Quote
Can second the quality of the Fuji 18-55mm. Despite the unexciting focal length range, it's the best zoom lens I've ever used. More like a bag of primes to invoke a cliché. X-E1 plus 18-55mm is the same price more or less as the X-Pro 1 body only. X-Pro 1 is very nice, of course, although somewhat heavier, but is the OVF really worth the extra $$$?
When I was ready to invest into the Fujifilm iLc I was dead set on getting the XE-1 as I already have experience with the X-100 using 90% OVF and the EVF for macro the other 10% then I read this over at Luminous Landscape and chose the X pro-1 over the XE-1 and for me the extra $$$ will be worth it IF i'm ever in that situation, i'll call it image insurance.

Why I Hate EVFs
04-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by top-quark Quote
About the XE-1, I was hoping they would have released the X-Pro 2 by June in time for my trip. Based on the improvements to the X100s and Fuji's reputation for listening to their customers, I'm almost 100% Fuji will have worked out all the shortfalls and quirks of the X-Pro 1.

For me, the X-Pro 1 is a stop gap measure until the 2 comes out so maybe I should consider the cheaper XE-1.
04-18-2013, 11:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

You can pick up a E-PM2 (16mp Sony Sensor) for under $399 on Amazon and then go for the 12 - 50 kit lens. Then bring along a couple of mf lenses with you and adapters... and you are set... the m43 mount is very universal and versatile... Plus Oly bodies have IBIS! like the SR in the Pentax...

Or you can just rent a kit online for your vacation... a lot of benefits doing that.. testing out bodies and lenses....