Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Lomo Smena 8 film camera rediscovered.

Only recently I found out about the 'Don't think, just shoot' Lomography cult and even then I didn't realize I had a Lomo camara myself: the Smena 8. The Smena 8 was rediscovered while making an inventory of my film camera lineup, carried out before starting with digital photography this year (2013), after a pause of almost 20 years.

Fig. 1 - Lomo Smena 8 with Watameter rangefinder and hood.

This is my first camera, bought in 1968, together with the Watameter W-II rangefinder. This combination was used for several years, shooting B&W.

The camera was found back in its original box, including the rangefinder, instruction manuals for both of them, and a hood. Everything in mint condition.

Features (from manual):
Film accepted: 35mm
Frame size: 24x36 mm
Cassette load: 1.65 m
Lens: Hard coated, three element, anastigmat
Focal length: 4 cm
Maximum aperture: f/4
Shutter speeds: 1/250, 1/125, 1/60, 1/30, 1/15 sec. plus 'B'.
Self timer delay: not less than 7 sec.
Range scale: 3, 4, 5, 6.5, 10, 16, 33 ft, infinity.

Fig. 2 - Two pages from the Smena 8 instruction manual.

On the last page of the manual we can read the following hints:

- Handle the camera with care.
- Don't let any dirt to collect on the lens, otherwise you are apt to get hazy prints.
- If necessary, the lens and viewfinder could be wiped clean on the outside only, using a lawn or cotton cloth.
- Never try do-it-yourself repairs.

Which I did.

A collection with B&W negatives (Ilford FP3/FP4) produced with the Smena 8 was also recovered, stored in shoe box, also in good condition.
My next project is to make digital copies from them with my new Pentax K5 II :-). There are no plans to use Lomo Smena 8 again because I'm too much accustomed to SLRs and my philosophy is now: 'think before you shoot'.

Last edited by Kobayashi.K; 08-18-2013 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Image link changed.
04-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Definitely a "true" collectible as it's no longer in production. There is a Semena but not an 8.