Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2013, 06:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax - I'm breaking up with you

Pentax I've been with you for over 7 years. You taught me a lot.
Together we grew stronger.
We've travelled the world.
You helped me get my first commission.
Then my first publication.
We talked about the future but you didn't prevale.

Out one day I fell in love with Hasselblad the gorgeous swedish lass.
Sure she was old but she knew a thing or two.
From that moment on I knew something had to change.

Pentax I'm sorry I'm breaking up with you.
I've found another. She's calls herself the Canon 6D.
She's not much of a looker but her attention to detail is truly incredible.
Pentax I'll miss your charm & good looks.
Pentax I'm sorry I'm breaking up with you.

04-22-2013, 07:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What I like coming from a Pentax K7 to a Canon 6D:
- Detail & Dynamic Range (Full Frame)
- Creamy Bokeh
- Amazing Low Light Performance (I'm sure the K5II is almost as good though)
- High Quality Video With Manual Controls & Timecode (also ability to do 50fps at 720p)
- Fast SILENT Autofocus (DA* SDM was far too slow!)
- Built in GPS & Wifi (Its pretty awesome having files auto tag their exact spot)

What I miss:
- Ergonomics
- Lens Design (for instance the BUILT IN LENS HOOD on the 35mm Macro LTD lens)
- Full Weather Sealing
- Sensor Shake Reduction (as opposed to built into lenses)
- Low Price of Lenses & Cameras
04-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm a camera-polygamist, myself.

Pentax cameras are just such a joy to use (other than the viewfinder). Nikon and Canon don't have it right.
04-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I found a better way. I not only sleep with 645d, but also with Leica M8 too. It didn't take me long to come to senses that Yes I can do both, and if I so choose, I can yet do another brand.

04-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I'm luckier than most folk, I have to use both Canon, Nikon and others through my work. I even use Pentax as well, when folk are more worried about the captured image and not what it was captured on.

These folk do exist they are called photography professionals, once you gain their trust in delivering the results, they care less how it's done, which IMHO is the way it should be. I've never known other tradesman have their tool choice dictated too them.

Do enjoy the Swedish ladies, it's fine, fine equipment, if you don't get stunning results with her, I'm afraid it's down to you, so no excuses now. The Canon 6D can be your wife, but the Swedish lady will almost certainly become your mistress.

But for my pleasure I use exclusively Pentax, yes I have both my cake and eat it.
04-22-2013, 07:32 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I looked pretty hard at the 6D. In the end, the lack of improvement in IQ was the clincher in keeping me with Pentax. Maybe starting from scratch, a 6D might rated higher, but to change over all my glass would have been costly, and for what?

Looking at the things you like about the Canon, maybe you should never have been a Pentax shooter. Video and Fast auto-focus? No one buys Pentax's for those features. Your efforts to compare a 4 year old, Pentax product with a brand new Canon product, I hope you don't mind, but I really can't pretend that is any kind of meaningful comparison. As for wifi and GPS. You can by a K-5 add a wifi card and a GPS unit and still have money left over for lenses.

Anyway, good luck with your experiment. Hope it works out well for you, keep us posted if your photography radically improves in some way you feel is directly related to the camera. All information is appreciated. (Maybe not comparisons where Pentax is represented by a K-7, but just about anything else.)
04-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just to clear the air I started with a Pentax *ist DL & twin kit lenses. Then I progressed to a K10 then a K7 but now my style has changed quite a lot. Essentially I was perfectly happy with pentax until at Uni I tried out alot of other gear and found what I was missing out on.

The Swedish chick gives me great results but shes more of a weekend girl not really practical shooting analoge for jobs etc.
I now want fast glass, fast auto focusing & greater quality.

I feel guilty about leaving pentax. But I'm not sure I like their direction. They seem to be toying with young modern (horrendous) looking cameras when I think they need to jump on the retro styling band wagon. They already have the lenses to offer something unique.

On another note that really bugs me is Pentax don't sell themselves properly. For example this lens has a magnetic lens cap! And a built in lens hood! But no mention of that on the website. The marketing people need to sit down with the gear and play! PENTAX - smc PENTAX DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited

04-22-2013, 08:46 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I've looked at the 6D. It didn't do much to excite me. It's a little bigger than I want to carry for starters. Regardless of whether I eventually buy a FF, I'm keeping my Pentax gear. Since I'm not really going to be camera shopping for another couple of years, a FF Pentax may very well be available and I'll make that decision then. Since I use telephoto a lot shooting sports events and also spend some time chasing birds, our current format has a bit of an advantage. I took a trip to Albany specifically to get some hands on with some of the newer cameras and to be honest, I kind of favored the Nikon D600 over the Canon. Of course the one advantage Canon has is that my Taks are easily adapted and I think there is a K mount adapter also.

Anyhow, good luck with your new purchase. I do have a suspicion that at some point, you may regret not keeping some of your Pentax gear.
04-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Is the focus speed/accuracy any good on the 6d? It looked, on paper, to be a real disappointment. Like they intentionally included a low performing module so they wouldn't cannibalize their 5D3 sales(The 5d3 focus is excellent). Is there any compelling reason to pick a 6D over a 5D2? The D600 has excellent auto focus. There is really very little compromise in that camera.
04-22-2013, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Pentax just got friendzoned.
04-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Good luck Dopey! I to changed from Pentax to FF (nikon) I still love Pentax though and wish they someday come with a nice FF body.
I could have stayed Pentax because i liked the design/form factor, build quality, the FA lenses, features for the price.
But i changed for reasons more important to me (not going to state them as people here are often offended by it, it seems)
The only things i miss the FA Ltd's though... not enough to stay though

But if you got to many reasons that make it hard to choose, well... thats a problem.
And thats the most important thing, you choose the gear that gives you what you want, and that will make you happy and in the end make you take more pictures.
04-22-2013, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
Just to clear the air I started with a Pentax *ist DL & twin kit lenses. Then I progressed to a K10 then a K7 but now my style has changed quite a lot. Essentially I was perfectly happy with pentax until at Uni I tried out alot of other gear and found what I was missing out on.
LOL.

Sounds like you like to date the "bridesmaids" and not the "Bride".

K5/K5II/K5IIs are the crème de la crème as are the more expensive lenses from Pentax.

04-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
What I like coming from a Pentax K7 to a Canon 6D:

- Creamy Bokeh

-
Creamy, smooth or harsh bokeh is an attribute of a lens; not the camera body. You may get more of that bokeh from a FF due to shallow DOF but if you want it creamy you need to look for a lens known to produce it.
04-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Creamy, smooth or harsh bokeh is an attribute of a lens; not the camera body. You may get more of that bokeh from a FF due to shallow DOF but if you want it creamy you need to look for a lens known to produce it.
Many lens reviews describe the Fa 50/1.4 as having that creamy bokeh.
04-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #15
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are fine creamy bokeh to be had from a number of fine Pentax and 3rd party K-mount lenses.
FA Ltds, DA Ltds, DFA 100 macro, FA* 85, 80-200, DA* 200, 300, Tamron 28-75, 70-200, Sigma 70 macro, the list goes on...