Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
05-02-2013, 04:54 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wanted to 'down-size' so i went with a Q and Olympus m4/3. The main reason is for travel. So in a way i stayed and left Pentax. If i were to leave altogether it would be for an improved/next gen Sony RX1. I like the idea of a small footprint/full frame camera

05-02-2013, 05:32 AM   #17
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whichever one fit in my hand comfortably so that taking photos continued to be an enjoyable exercise. Being able to use a few of my m42/ K mount lenses would be nice, but not critical.
05-02-2013, 05:39 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really have no idea--I haven't paid any attention to what's available in other systems.
05-02-2013, 05:43 AM   #19
Banned

I have not sold any of my Pentax gear since 1991 but I have purchased the m4/3rds Panasonic GH2, full frame Sony NEX-VG900 and other cameras.

05-02-2013, 06:08 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I'm looking at adding Sigma gear. Foveon technology won't get better unless people invest in it, and within it's limitations, it's pretty much already shown it's overall a superior system, for what it does. It just doesn't do everything.
05-02-2013, 06:21 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Polaroid One step. Man, the pictures just pop out of a slot in front. That is so badass...and futuristic.
And you can make the pictures all pretty by pressing on the back while they are developing...
05-02-2013, 06:27 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steppenfuchs Quote
It's funny how Pentaxians have been making fun of Canon/Nikon users for ages, but so many of them are ready to jump ship based on rumors...
Not just because of rumours but due to no communication from the company about their direction and now the huge price increases on lenses. Pentax are playing games and it does seem like an endgame too. People don't like being treated like suckers unless they are aware of (and agree to) the payoff - in this case there's none that we know of.

Last edited by bossa; 05-02-2013 at 06:32 AM.
05-02-2013, 07:01 AM   #23

id go to nikon because i think canon is overrated, the fact nikon also lets you use the older lens and the aperture rigns are all in fullstops is a plus too

i would't go to canon unless i wanted to make lowbudget film, but again.. if i want to take photographs i'll buy a photographic camera and not some frankenstein overrated hybrid.
05-02-2013, 07:04 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I don't plan to move because I'm happy with my Pentax kit, but if I had to I think Fuji would get my vote.

Regarding full frame, I personally prefer Canon ergonomics and interface (yes I do like the thumb wheel ) and the fact that I could mount my M42 lenses, but their sensor is a bit outdated now.
05-02-2013, 07:30 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TropicalMonkey Quote
I am trying to educate myself for the next big jump. I myself tend to consider Canon FF (like the old 5D-II which is getting cheaper even brand new, I think). My friend who owns D800 won't agree with my decision. So what do you guys think, if you have used K5 (or its derivatives) and want to move away from Pentax which brand will you consider?
Moving away from Pentax....well, that would take something like Laphroaig tripple wood...plenty of it Does that count?
05-02-2013, 07:30 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TropicalMonkey Quote
I am trying to educate myself for the next big jump.
How many "jumps" have you made?

And how do other people's opinions affect these jumps?

Is there something wrong with your Pentax gear that doesn't give you the images you want?
05-02-2013, 07:30 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm looking at adding Sigma gear. Foveon technology won't get better unless people invest in it, and within it's limitations, it's pretty much already shown it's overall a superior system, for what it does. It just doesn't do everything.
I'll throw in a third vote for Sigma. I don't give a rip about video, and slow and steady is my shooting style. For 90% of my pictures, the Foveon is a better choice than anything else.

I'm not about to jump ship unless I have to, though. Pentax is far superior on the usability and ergonomics front, not to mention lens selection.
05-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #28
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Fuji. They are moving rapidly and the next models of their two top X-Cameras should be amazing. They are spending lots of cash on development, advertising, and lenses. The IQ from the X-Pro, X-E1, and new X100s is as good as it comes, rivaling FF in almost every aspect. Fuji has also hinted at a FF soon, and they are not like Pentax, they don't mean within 10-15 years.....maybe the end of this year.

Innovation is a "Fuji thing", and it seems to be working. Looking forward and acting fast on it are signs of a company that is thinking like a shooter, not a corporate ledger.

Regards!
05-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #29
Pentaxian

The Sigma SD1 is now at $1900, still too much for me for getting closer. (It used to be like $8000.) That camera/system is too clunky to be my all-around general kit, but I can put m42s on it and it can make some stunning images. If that gets down to $1000 or I find myself with some extra cash, I'll certainly take a long look at it. In any case, I'm not too worried about the future. If Pentax were to go out of business or decide that they were Leica (which would also push me away), then all it really does is simply my choices. Technology will march on...
05-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nikon. Hands down. I was a Nikon shooter once and the quality and gizmos are there.
Their accessories are top notch.
If they only mounted their lenses like Pentax, I might already be there.
There are some tools that I am waiting for in Pentax land, and if they don't show up soon, I will have to spend money in Nikon. I will never jump ship from Pentax, as I have a Pentax museum in my house, but I have got to hand it to Nikon for doing things right.