Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #76
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Numerous Pentax K-01's with the mystery oil/grease that get's onto the sensor; grave flaw with a camera body.
Pentax K-5: Mass flaws with sensor burn, typically caused by video
Two Pentax recent Pentax flagship lenses; one being the Pentax 16-50 - having at least two major issues - sdm failure and also zoom lock.

...And Pentax remains silent on most of this. Just wondering how many people out there have completely given up on Pentax because the company does not address customers on known failures that Pentax is the cause of.

One technically cannot use Pentax and reliable in the same posting
That is not the norm, common sense would tell a rational person that if Pentax were as flawed as you suggest, most of us would not be here....yet here we are and most are very well pleased. I am no Pentax Fanboy, I like a lot of cameras, wish I owned them all. I am also not pleased with the direction Hoya went or the non direction I see Ricoh going, but in all fairness, all the Pentax cameras I have owned have been excellent and a very good value. Even a Rolex will sometimes experience problems or failures, as will anything produced by man. To say a Rolex is not reliable is ridiculous. Most here could say the same of their Pentax experience. Reliable.

Regards!

05-07-2013, 11:55 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Nikon probably.. as that's what She Who Holds The Purse Strings likes.
Will still retain the K-x + A50/1.2 and the A50/2.8 Macro though.. wonderful lenses.
05-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #78
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote

One technically cannot use Pentax and reliable in the same posting
QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Pentax doesnt have issues worse than other brands.
This is quite true. The last time I checked Consumer Reports, the serious defect rate was a little less than both Canon and Nikon for dSLR cameras with those other brands close to 5%.

Steve
05-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This is quite true. The last time I checked Consumer Reports, the serious defect rate was a little less than both Canon and Nikon for dSLR cameras with those other brands close to 5%.
But the issue is not really that, but which brands *respond* better when those things happen? I don't think it is out-of-line to notice that Pentax has been a bit lacking in the goodwill department when it comes to admitting these problems and fixing them.

05-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
But the issue is not really that, but which brands *respond* better when those things happen? I don't think it is out-of-line to notice that Pentax has been a bit lacking in the goodwill department when it comes to admitting these problems and fixing them.
And I'd think the error rate needs to be normalized too. When you make more different models of than the another brand, your chance of errors increase as well as the effort to deal with it.
05-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I'd think the error rate needs to be normalized too. When you make more different models of than the another brand, your chance of errors increase as well as the effort to deal with it.
I agree. Back to the OP question...If pentax ceased making cameras I would just buy a second K5IIs, stock up on batteries and keep shooting.

Though if all my Pentax gear magically disappeared overnight I would just switch to using my Leica.
05-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #82
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Except that was not the assertion.

As for Pentax post-sale responsiveness, any comparisons to the competition are anecdotal. I have a friend who is a part-time pro (about 7k-8k shutter actuations per month) and has gone through multiple high-end Canon bodies in the last three years. Each time the camera went off to service and each time the turn-around was 6-8+ weeks. Eventually Canon replaced one body and that also took about three months. Anecdotally, I would say it would be reasonable to avoid Canon as well.

Steve

05-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #83
Veteran Member

If I had to move today, I think I'd move to a Canon 5DIII to be honest. The Canon lenses are pretty fantastic and the 5DIII seems to be the perfect camera body for me..... well perhaps it would be perfect if it had the D600 sensor in it (minus the grease of course) If Nikon came out with a true successor to the D700 I might reconsider .... hmm how shallow am I then
05-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #84
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
If Nikon came out with a true successor to the D700 I might reconsider .... hmm how shallow am I then
I'd hardly call you shallow for making logical choices about where to spend your money. Brand loyalty only makes sense if the brand continues to satisfy you. Pentax is not your wife, and neither is Canon. You can cheat on them whenever you like (and whenever your wallet, and possibly your real spouse, will allow it ).
05-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #85
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Haha. Many of us here are loyal to Pentax and have affairs with Canon and Nikon. Others are more serious and have Olympus or Sony concubines. Others still practice brand polygamy. Indeed, it sounds a little silly in this context. It's nothing like a marriage. But so far, Pentax haven't failed to impress me in the APS-C department so a FF camera is not an absolute need or passionate desire for me as yet. The K-5 IIs is really bringing out the best in all my current fine lenses.
05-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Others practice brand polygamy
But with cameras it is legal...
05-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #87
Pentaxian

As for Pentax post-sale responsiveness, any comparisons to the competition are anecdotal. I have a friend who is a part-time pro (about 7k-8k shutter actuations per month) and has gone through multiple high-end Canon bodies in the last three years. Each time the camera went off to service and each time the turn-around was 6-8+ weeks. Eventually Canon replaced one body and that also took about three months. Anecdotally, I would say it would be reasonable to avoid Canon as well.
But those anecdotal stories with other brands (when things go wrong) tend to be both good and bad in terms of their response. I've never heard a story of Pentax "bending over backwards" to make something right where they were obviously at fault -- not ever. Are there any such anecdotes? (I only have my own negative ones to tell.)

How about a comparison with common sense, with a basic standard of good customer service? What about failings that go beyond the anecdotal, like the widespread SDM failures and their non-addressal of that issue?
05-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Except that was not the assertion.

Steve
That is not normal for canon service at all from my personal experience in the US. I had a shutter replaced in a 1dsii (270K shots) and a couple lenses cleaned and calibrated this year and each time was about a week including shipping time. CPS members get 2-3 day service and CPS gold members get a free loaner.
05-09-2013, 11:00 PM   #89
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
But with cameras it is legal...
And the variety truly the spice of photography.
05-10-2013, 01:11 AM   #90

Photos: Albums
I am really keen on the Canon 6D at the moment for the built in GPS. I love the idea in years to come of being able to go through a map with all our family photos on. Not keen on tagging photos manually though or using a hot shoe GPS receiver. GPS is probably the only reason I'm keen on the 6D though, and maybe the fact that the Canon system has more affordable lenses and better "ecosystem".

I am going to wait though and really hope that the next Pentax offerings come with inbuilt GPS as size and weight/portability are important for me and Pentax do a good job of this.