Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sankon Quote
... so an old Nikon D50 was purchased. It's Nikon's oldest consumer DSLR, with a 6MP APS-C CCD sensor capable of gorgeous images, a 2000-shot battery, and the smallest that has both a top LCD and focussing motor. These features are now reserved only for Nikon's mid and top tiers, which are larger.
D70, D80 and D90 all have built-in focusing motor right? In used market, Pentax is cheaper than other brands, I think.

05-19-2013, 06:29 AM   #107
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TropicalMonkey Quote
D70, D80 and D90 all have built-in focusing motor right? In used market, Pentax is cheaper than other brands, I think.
You are right about the focussing motor, though all of those too are discontinued. If you want a focussing motor on a new model, you need a D7000/D7100 or better. The D50 has 1/500 flash sync, a top LCD, a lower-noise sensor than the D70, and amazing battery life ( 2000 shots ).

Cameras of this age, eight years old now, are priced as much as to their condition as features. The D50 I found was mint, boxed and sold at a dealer for less than US$100 with dealer guarantee. Similar age/spec Pentax models go for about the same. But Nikon's "base" models, at least of that age, were amazingly well built. They make an excellent purchase even today if you can find one in good condition.
05-19-2013, 07:52 AM   #108
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sankon Quote
I got out of Pentax because on reviewing my photos, I found the ones taken in 2006 with the Nikon D40 I owned previously were amongst my best.
When I was shopping for my first DSLR I compared the D40 and K100D Super. Both use the same Sony CCD 6mp sensor. Both have top LCD, the Nikon feels more plasticky. You say it has 1/500s flash synch, but I didn't consider that at the time. I chose the K100DS over the D40 because of SR, in-body AF motor, dust protection, AA battery operation and a lower purchase price. I would make the same choice now that I did then.

I see the allure of the very warm images the old Sony 6mp sensor produces. My wife is torn between the slicker performance and lower noise of my handoff K-x, versus the lush warmth of the K100DS. I prefer the more neutral rendering of my K20D to the overly warm K100D and overly cool K-x and I definitely prefer higher resolution (more pixels).

Last edited by audiobomber; 05-19-2013 at 10:59 AM.
05-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #109
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think the size advantage is really that important. I am looking at Fuji and will probably buy one, but every time I take an XP1 out to shoot I want the added grip on it. It is too small and after I add a lens its not that much smaller than a K-5. The Fuji and the Olympus are both small and a little too cramped for my hands. The Canon 6D is just slightly bigger than my K-5 which is fine. I use the grip on my K-5 most of the time just because I think it is just a little too small. On a K-5 I can get my index finger on the shutter and 2 fingers on the grip. Any shorter and I would only be able to grip it with my thumb and middle finger.

I would like to see the K-3 or K-1 grow a little with 2 image processors, 2 SDXC slots, larger faster buffer, built-in WiFi, and a much bigger and brighter OVF.

I don't think I would go back to Canon simply because they seem to be more focused on HD video and their sensors seem to be falling behind.

05-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #110
Banned

QuoteQuote:
I don't think I would go back to Canon simply because they seem to be more focused on HD video and their sensors seem to be falling behind.
Any camera company not focused on HD video going forward will not make it in the future.
BIG NEWS Hands on with CONTINUOUS raw recording on Canon 5D Mark III | EOSHD.com
Nikon D7100 In-Depth Review: Digital Photography Review
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Review: Digital Photography Review
Sony NEX-6 Review: Digital Photography Review
GoPro Official Website: The World's Most Versatile Camera
Blackmagic Design: Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera
Blackmagic Design: Blackmagic Production Camera 4K
05-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #111
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Any camera company not focused on HD video going forward will not make it in the future.
If I understand your statement, it seems an exaggeration. Compare the K-30 to the Canon 650D. I expect the great majority here would value the K-30's photographically-centered design vs. the video-oriented Canon.
05-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #112
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We will see. Panasonic is much more focused on HD video than Olympus and Olympus is selling more m4/3 cameras than Panasonic. The Olympus OM-D is pretty poor at HD video compared to the GH 2 or 3.

Pentax is already dead if this is the case. They are all but ignoring HD video.

How is the HD video on the Fuji X-P1, X100s, or XE-1?

If I have a project or event that requires HD Video I bring in someone who specializes in HD video. When the 5DII came out Canon and the media made it seem like HD video was the new must have service for wedding and event photography. Several people I know bought into it. I'm still not seeing huge demand for it in my market. The vast majority of the people I work with are still focused on capturing that one moment in time. I don't know anyone who has a big HD display hanging on their wall looping the HD video from their wedding. I know lots of people who have framed stills hanging in their home.

05-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #113
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
If I understand your statement, it seems an exaggeration. Compare the K-30 to the Canon 650D. I expect the great majority here would value the K-30's photographically-centered design vs. the video-oriented Canon.
Amazon Best Sellers: best Digital SLR Cameras
05-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #114
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TropicalMonkey Quote
So what do you guys think, if you have used K5 (or its derivatives) and want to move away from Pentax which brand will you consider?
I would consider any brand - it seems silly to limit oneself before even looking and I have no "sympathy" for any brand much like I have no sympathy for different car manufacturers.

On the other hand, I have no reason to even think about moving away as my K-5 is performing well, the K-5 IIs (or a potential successor) seems a worthy upgrade, my lenses all seem quite what I need/want in terms of IQ/reach.
05-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #115
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
We will see. Panasonic is much more focused on HD video than Olympus and Olympus is selling more m4/3 cameras than Panasonic. The Olympus OM-D is pretty poor at HD video compared to the GH 2 or 3.

Pentax is already dead if this is the case. They are all but ignoring HD video.

How is the HD video on the Fuji X-P1, X100s, or XE-1?

If I have a project or event that requires HD Video I bring in someone who specializes in HD video. When the 5DII came out Canon and the media made it seem like HD video was the new must have service for wedding and event photography. Several people I know bought into it. I'm still not seeing huge demand for it in my market. The vast majority of the people I work with are still focused on capturing that one moment in time. I don't know anyone who has a big HD display hanging on their wall looping the HD video from their wedding. I know lots of people who have framed stills hanging in their home.
My 88 year old mother is more into framed stills hanging in her home but my grandkids are not interested in looking at family photos and are only interested in looking at family videos on our HDTV, iPad , smartphones, Mac, PC etc. When we have a family gathering everyone is more interested in looking at old videos from the 80's than the stills taken back then. Don't get me wrong I still shoot stills but when given a choice most people prefer looking at videos. Try capturing with stills better than a video.
05-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #116
Pentaxian

This proves that a Canon sells more than a competing Pentax, which does not at all make your case that Pentax is doomed because they don't prioritize video. There's a LOT more behind this story than video.
05-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #117
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My 88 year old mother is more into framed stills hanging in her home but my grandkids are not interested in looking at family photos and are only interested in looking at family videos on our HDTV, iPad , smartphones, Mac, PC etc. When we have a family gathering everyone is more interested in looking at old videos from the 80's than the stills taken back then. Don't get me wrong I still shoot stills but when given a choice most people prefer looking at videos. Try capturing with stills better than a video.
Awesome wedding video. What was the the budget for that? It looks like 2 dedicated videographers and 2 dedicated photographers. What does a package like that go for in NJ?

Working in Nashville you meet a lot of videographers looking to get into the music video business and a lot of them work the wedding market. I don't see many of them working with DSLR cameras. I have seen a couple of Canon C100/C300's, but these are people who shoot more than just weddings. I don't see as many Canon 5DII's like I did just a few years ago. These users have moved on to HD-video specialized equipment.
05-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Leica.

Reasons:
1) As I cannot afford them anyway, it's not going to happen.

2) They are the best. I know since a neighbour gave me the issues of 5 years of the Leica magazine when I was about 14 years old.
. He is guilty I am a camera addict since 50+ years.

I tried a therapy with soviet clones, but it hasn't really helped.
05-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #119
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
When I was shopping for my first DSLR I compared the D40 and K100D Super. Both use the same Sony CCD 6mp sensor. Both have top LCD, the Nikon feels more plasticky. You say it has 1/500s flash synch, but I didn't consider that at the time. I chose the K100DS over the D40 because of SR, in-body AF motor, dust protection, AA battery operation and a lower purchase price. I would make the same choice now that I did then.

I see the allure of the very warm images the old Sony 6mp sensor produces. My wife is torn between the slicker performance and lower noise of my handoff K-x, versus the lush warmth of the K100DS. I prefer the more neutral rendering of my K20D to the overly warm K100D and overly cool K-x and I definitely prefer higher resolution (more pixels).
I'm sure you can get good images from the K100DS, I actually considered it too. The D40 by the way has no top LCD. It was introduced after the D50 and was a cut-down version, cheaper to make. No top LCD, no dedicated ISO/WB/Quality buttons, no buffer-remaining display in the VF ( and some other VF omissions ) and no focussing motor. It retained the unusual hybrid shutter giving 1/500 flash sync, still unbeatable, and had a higher resolution rear screen. I bought one when it came out, and it survived half a decade of pretty rough use, including rock-climbing in the snow and rain. It's made well, not as solid as the ( admittedly more expensive ) D50, but far better than current budget models.

As for warmth, this just depends on the settings and the manufacturers defaults. You can cooler shots from the Nikon by changing the picture mode, WB or just shooting raw. The default JPEGs are excellent, but most of all, Nikon's focussing and exposure metering seem ahead, even on the 8 year old D50, of much more recent Pentax models. My K7 ( same sensor as K20D ? ) was great, but the metering was easily fooled, the focus was often wayward, and the noise was both greater than, and harder to deal with, than the humble D50.
05-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #120
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Awesome wedding video. What was the the budget for that? It looks like 2 dedicated videographers and 2 dedicated photographers. What does a package like that go for in NJ?

Working in Nashville you meet a lot of videographers looking to get into the music video business and a lot of them work the wedding market. I don't see many of them working with DSLR cameras. I have seen a couple of Canon C100/C300's, but these are people who shoot more than just weddings. I don't see as many Canon 5DII's like I did just a few years ago. These users have moved on to HD-video specialized equipment.
That was not my video but it looks like they had a high budget for that wedding. People that were big with DSLRs for video back when the 5D MKII came out in 2008 like Vincent Laforet have moved on to the Canon C line , Sony E mount NEX FS100 / FS700 or the new Sony PMW-F55 CineAlta 4K Digital Cinema Camera since they have all of the controls videographers need built in.