Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
05-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

If you move away from Pentax, which brand will you consider and why?

I am trying to educate myself for the next big jump. I myself tend to consider Canon FF (like the old 5D-II which is getting cheaper even brand new, I think). My friend who owns D800 won't agree with my decision. So what do you guys think, if you have used K5 (or its derivatives) and want to move away from Pentax which brand will you consider?

Edit: As a hobbyist, I am not considering to switch brands any time soon, I am just trying not to be a frog in the well. K5 classic is good enough for me for now. I even bought a used K20D as a second camera. Prior to K5, I used Zenit 122 and Minolta 5xi. Apart from that I owned/used many P&S cameras like Canon G2.

Last edited by TropicalMonkey; 05-24-2013 at 12:52 PM. Reason: readaility
05-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TropicalMonkey Quote
I am trying to educate myself for the next big jump. I myself tend to consider Canon FF (like the old 5D-II which is getting cheaper even brand new, I think). My friend who owns D800 won't agree with my decision. So what do you guys think, if you have used K5 (or its derivatives) and want to move away from Pentax which brand will you consider?
If I were to switch, it would be nice to go Canon so I can use all my cool m42 lenses without an optical adapter, but the Canon models are not designed for humans and their policies of intentionally crippling their bodies would make me hate them more than Pentax (should Pentax drive me over the edge). So it would be Nikon -- they've got the best full-frame options...
05-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
... their policies of intentionally crippling their bodies ..
I need to do more research!!
05-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just don't get caught up in the dumb Nikon vs. Canon brand wars.

I think your choice should be driven by the type(s) of photography you practice and your budget. I added Canon a few years ago as my focus turned more towards sports and birds. Though the Nikon interface (and of course Pentax) is better, I pretty much can handle the Canon approach. It's the photographs that really matter. I chose Canon because their all purpose 100-400L lens is better than anything Nikon offers in its price range. I also like the wide choice of lenses that function on my 7D, including Pentax K, Nikon, and M42.

If I was more of a landscape shooter I would most likely choose the Nikon 800e. It seems like it is in a class by itself.

M

05-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I sold my Canon 5D (original) 2 years ago and I don't miss the camera as much as the 85L. I am hoping that the Pentax FF and the Sigma 85mm will make me forget about Canon. Canon is falling behind in sensor technology.... or maybe they are just focused on HD video at the expense of still image quality.

Sony is moving away from SLT technolgy. The A58 will be the last SLT camera if rumors are true. What will be next? Will it have an OVF? I don't know. The CZ 24-70, CZ 85mm and CZ 135mm are all excellent lenses and pretty much all I need for what I do. If Sony will produce a modern version of the A900 I would already be using Sony, but I just don't care for the current technology of EVF/SLT technology. Sony does not support DNG which is a negative to me, but they offer IBIS which is a positive.

I will wait and see what Pentax and Sony offer. If Pentax comes out with a D-FA* 50mm F/1.2, D-FA* 85mm F/1.4, and a D-FA* 135mm F/1.8 for a new Full-Frame body then I would not have any reason to leave Pentax.... Assuming they are really good lenses.

For APS-C I really like what Fuji is doing. The new 56mm F/1.2 for the X-mount is pretty exciting.
05-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If I was to switch, it would be Nikon for their bodies, sensors and lenses, or Canon pretty much just for their their lenses.
05-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #7
pdo

Either Nikon or Canon FF body will work..I am a prime shooter..so Sigma 35mm, 85mm, and 135mm will be the lense..

05-01-2013, 10:04 PM - 4 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Polaroid One step. Man, the pictures just pop out of a slot in front. That is so badass...and futuristic.
05-01-2013, 10:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I wouldn't buy any camera less than medium format that couldn't take a screw mount lens, which pretty much rules out Nikon. the non-micro variety of 4/3 is dead, and I'm pretty sure that Sigma has less than 1% of market share. I used to hate Canon, now I like them, but I went the Sony route.

I personally like the EVF, especially the peaking, and the instant review in the finder. The real benefit of the Sony system is the massive amount of great, inexpensive old lenses from the Minolta era. 50mm f1.7 for $60, 70-210 constant f4 for $120, 24mm f2.8 for $120, and better deals can be found. I personally bought a 50mm 1.7 in great shape for $40. The best part, at least right now, is the bargain that can be had for the a37. I bought the kit with the 18-135 for $500, and then sold the lens for $350. According to my math, that's $150 for a brand new body.
05-01-2013, 10:30 PM   #10

It's funny how Pentaxians have been making fun of Canon/Nikon users for ages, but so many of them are ready to jump ship based on rumors...
05-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
I chose Canon because their all purpose 100-400L lens is better than anything Nikon offers in its price range.
For me that was the driver. The lenses I knew I'd want we're considerably cheaper from Canon and in some cases quite a bit better than Nikons. But depending on the focal lengths it could go the other way on quality, but Nikon glass is mostly more expensive.
05-01-2013, 11:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steppenfuchs Quote
so many of them are ready to jump ship based on rumors...
I'm not ready to jump ship, just observing. I do already have a NEX and a RX100, but for DSLR's I'm quite happy with Pentax.
05-01-2013, 11:53 PM   #13

Too open a question at the moment. Are you looking at a new FF body or a used one? Do you want to be able to carry over and use some Pentax glass? Are you shooting slowly and deliberately such as landscape, macro and portrait or is your style all action, street and photojournalism? Are you a prime shooter or are zooms your bag? How crazy wide/long do you want to go and will your lenses be sourced new or used?

Understanding your budget, kit requirements and shooting style will help people to give you sound advice, not just tell you which brand they personally prefer.
05-02-2013, 12:19 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have no intention of jumping ship and abandoning all my lovely Pentax lenses, but if their was no choice, I would go the way of Nikon. I don't like the way Canon camera's handle and feel, can't come to grips with the silly thumb wheel thing and I don't like the over pumped pinks in the skin tones of Canon exposures. Nikon feels more comfortable to me in the hand, and is far more similar in concept and menu/button logic to Pentax than is Canon. Having said that, I find the Nikon images to be a little on the yellow/washed out side.

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer the look of Pentax images, and I prefer the layout of my K-7/K-5 to anything else I have held.
05-02-2013, 04:41 AM   #15
Banned

Photos: Albums
Generally stating... Canon would be better if one tends to do more video; especially with their C version which costs above some 10k. If one rarely uses video then go with the Nikon D4; although also noting that for most uses - the Nikon isn't hurting.

Also consider the subjects that one shoots most. There is no one camera body or system for everyone. But if you clue me in a bit more on subjects I could easily narrow it down a bit more.

Also naturally there is price. It's really difficult to beat that entry level Nikon full frame. Even IF Pentax did come out with a full frame today (or at any time in the future) it would be highly unlikely that even Pentax could match that price point.