Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2013, 05:24 AM   #46
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
If FF is going to be as small as a K5 or a NEX
Thinking of the size of most of the Pentax batteries and also the batteries of most any full frame out there... Chances are the world will never see a nex sized full frame, as the battery simply would not be large enough. Most "full frame users" actually like the larger capacity batteries; and also the option to even add a battery gripp on top of that.

05-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #47
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Thinking of the size of most of the Pentax batteries and also the batteries of most any full frame out there...Chances are the world will never see a nex sized full frame, as the battery simply would not be large enough. Most "full frame users" actually like the larger capacity batteries; and also the option to even add a battery gripp on top of that.
Really?

Camera Test: Sony Cyber-shot RX1 Full-Frame Advanced Compact | Popular Photography
4.5x2.6x2.8 in., 1.1 lb with a card and battery.

Nex 7
4.72 x 2.63 x 1.69"
05-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recently acquired a Canon 40D body, mostly due to being spooked over my K-r biting the dust with less than 5,000 shutter clicks. But I'm going "backwards" in time to a classic Canon DSLR. I read a lot of good things about the Canon 40D, even though it is only 10 megapixels. I mostly just want it to have a second DSLR. I don't have any lenses for it yet, so advice on how to adapt my Pentax lenses would be helpful.
05-05-2013, 06:46 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Timing was important for me when I decided 13 years ago to add an AF kit to my old-school Pentax MF kit. If you think about the AF gear Pentax offered in the late '90s it's easy to understand my decision to go with Nikon AF gear. I didn't really jump to Nikon but rather grow into the system since purchasing that N80 and I'm now shooting a D600 with a couple of nice zooms and several nice AF-D primes plus a very nice J1 (severely underrated on the Internet) with the FT-1 adapter, and a Nikkormat + FM2N combination for film. If I were making that step toward AF today the Pentax options are much better than back 13 years ago and I really doubt I'd go the Nikon route. The K5II and lens options are very tempting. I have no experience with Pentax gear newer than my K200D shooting old MF primes but I just don't believe anyone shooting modern Pentax gear will see enough of an improvement from switching to Nikon or Canon alone to justify the expense. I'm convinced the two reasons to go Canon/Nikon 35mm-format DSLR today is super-wide landscapes and such, and the reduced issues with lens diffraction at small lens apertures beyond, say, F16. Macro work on older Nikon DX using moderate DOF just hasn't been possible.

I'm simply floored by the image quality of the shots I can get with the D600 at ISO 6400. To be honest, after shooting Nikon DX for seven years I think my D600 is the first Nikon DSLR I've seen which gets a Nikon shooter back to the quality offered by the old film gear. Still, I'll be the odd person here by saying that with the options offered by Pentax today I'd suggest a person who is shooting Pentax gear continue to do so and take the incremental steps in upgrading gear rather than taking the ride on the merry-go-round of the Canon/Nikon systems. My Pentax wish list today would include the K5II + the trio of FA-Ltds + a couple of the nice DA zooms.

05-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #50
Inactive Account

Why does one need to "move away" from pentax in order to use another brand? I've used Pentax for a long time as a compact travel camera, and will continue to do so. This is despite using a d800 and a chamonix 4x5 for more serious personal work, IQ140 on an Arca view camera and a 1dx for work-work, not to mention a ton of other miscellaneous crap just for screwing around (favorite right now is a used Red One for video projects, and a pentax 6x7 for a friend's family album I'm putting together).

Despite all that, I still enjoy using the K-30 with the 18-55 WR and the 50 and 135 M primes, primarily because it uses AA batteries and has no glaring faults.

Do I buy a lot of pentax stuff? No. Whatever pentax gear I do buy is used; I sure as hell ain't going to spend the kind of silly money they're trying to charge for their current lineup. Pentax doesn't get used for work, simply because pentax doesn't really provide the tools needed to make a living (or do serious projects) with.

Do I take pentax seriously? Well it's like this: once you get that viper or the new GT-R or whatever, then you get nostalgic and pick up a 64 mustang or an old morgan, then you realize it'd be nice to have some cheap reliable beater to putz around in and you get a used civic or corolla. The pentax is that civic or corolla. So the answer is no, I don't really take it seriously. It's not a "take me seriously" brand.

Pentax cameras are cute and cheap, and there's nothing it can do that some other piece of equipment can't do better. But it's damn good for being cute and cheap, and I enjoy using these little cameras (and the big 6x7 of course).
05-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ytango Quote
Pentax cameras are cute and cheap, and there's nothing it can do that some other piece of equipment can't do better. But it's damn good for being cute and cheap, and I enjoy using these little cameras (and the big 6x7 of course).
While there is always some other piece of equipment that can do it better if you disregard price, Pentax has since the K10D offered *better* IQ dollar-for-dollar, as well as some features unheard of at the price-point (in-camera SR for all lenses and weather-sealing). So Pentax was offering true *value*, not just "cheapness". If they give that up, that's the main thing that would make me think about jumping ship. If I get more for less money elsewhere, that's what I'm going to do. If all of the makers are essentially equivalent price-wise then it is just down to features and reliability, but things like amount of support, availability, etc become much more important then too. Basically I see Pentax losing that battle with such a small market share -- they *must* offer higher value.
05-05-2013, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #52
Veteran Member

Why does one need to "move away" from pentax in order to use another brand? I've used Pentax for a long time as a compact travel camera, and will continue to do so. This is despite using a d800 and a chamonix 4x5 for more serious personal work, IQ140 on an Arca view camera and a 1dx for work-work, not to mention a ton of other miscellaneous crap just for screwing around (favorite right now is a used Red One for video projects, and a pentax 6x7 for a friend's family album I'm putting together).

Despite all that, I still enjoy using the K-30 with the 18-55 WR and the 50 and 135 M primes, primarily because it uses AA batteries and has no glaring faults.

Do I buy a lot of pentax stuff? No. Whatever pentax gear I do buy is used; I sure as hell ain't going to spend the kind of silly money they're trying to charge for their current lineup. Pentax doesn't get used for work, simply because pentax doesn't really provide the tools needed to make a living (or do serious projects) with.

Do I take pentax seriously? Well it's like this: once you get that viper or the new GT-R or whatever, then you get nostalgic and pick up a 64 mustang or an old morgan, then you realize it'd be nice to have some cheap reliable beater to putz around in and you get a used civic or corolla. The pentax is that civic or corolla. So the answer is no, I don't really take it seriously. It's not a "take me seriously" brand.

Let me know when your D800 can track stars by moving it's sensor and do 'built-in' shift lens stuff won't you? The K-5 can change the tint of it's LCD to calibrate with it's output but the D800 cannot do that.. the D800 can't even remap dead or hot pixels without a trip to the service center.

I've got 2 D800E's and I still love my K-01 and k-5. They are in no way toys and comparing them to a Honda Civic is just plain wrong. 'Professional' doesn't always mean adverts and weddings.. plenty of artists are pro's.

05-05-2013, 08:52 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter

Fuji X-Pro1

I just picked up an X-Pro1. Why? I wanted a camera with a fast standard lens, and Pentax won't give that to me for whatever reason. The Fuji is beautifully built, the 35/1.4 is very much a Limited lens in the way it is built.
05-06-2013, 05:02 AM   #54
Banned

Do I buy a lot of pentax stuff? No. Whatever pentax gear I do buy is used; I sure as hell ain't going to spend the kind of silly money they're trying to charge for their current lineup. Pentax doesn't get used for work, simply because pentax doesn't really provide the tools needed to make a living (or do serious projects) with
I'm unfortunately stuck to more frequently purchase new gear, but occasionally stumble upon a good used deal.

I could not agree more in that, "Pentax doesn't provide the tools - paraphrasing".

Cases in point... Macro work. Sure Pentax makes a variety of dedicated lenses which also have macro, but sadly missing are Pentax labeled extension tubes (even the third party ones don't transfer lens settings), PK bellows, and even a Pentax labeled teleconverter.

Flash isn't covered all that well either. Pentax has very limited Pentax labeled GN flashes. The flash units they do have are also not all that well made. Also one has to wonder whatever happened to the big rerelease (Pentax is infamous for minor upgrades) of the new horizontal swivel flash?? There's even very limited third party flash.
05-06-2013, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax doesn't get used for work, simply because pentax doesn't really provide the tools needed to make a living (or do serious projects) with.
Well, maybe you haven't figured out how to make a living with Pentax, but obviously this guy does:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography-industry/223172-new-t...rs-bazaar.html

But yeah it's more easy to blame the gear.
05-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #56
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
Well, maybe you haven't figured out how to make a living with Pentax, but obviously this guy does:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography-industry/223172-new-t...rs-bazaar.html

Take a look at how many creative and/or career professional photographers (that make a living at it) are able to make it exclusively on Pentax. Which is why very soon Pentax won't even be anywhere near the top five, and will also basically eliminate themselves from ever getting back there.
05-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #57
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Why is having pro gear all that important anyhow? I'll take the profits from Ford F150s over those of Ferrari any day! Not everyone is interested in being a Pro, they just want good equipment that is dependable, in plentiful supply at "reasonable" prices and will "get 'er done". Pentax can still do that, and plenty good enough for most anyone.....even a Pro like Ben if he so chooses.
Regards!
05-06-2013, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #58

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote

Kanarek does get quite a few covers with his Pentax gear, but your argument fails because he also has several other systems and his main one (on which he makes most of his living) is Nikon. He also seems to be the only photographer on earth with a reliable 16-50.

As for the original topic, I've gone for a NEX-6. The AF isn't necessarily any less likely to hunt or give up in low-light, but it is accurate. And when it does give up for whatever reason, I can use the auto-magnification and focus peaking to manually focus much easier than in an OVF. Need to get out and do some real shooting with it soon. As for lenses, the Sigma 30mm f2.8 is an awesome bit of glass particularly for £100, and the 19mm (though not as great in the corners) is still a good complement to it.
05-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #59
Veteran Member

I'm not giving up on Pentax DSLR's or Pentax SLR's either for that matter. I will always have a Pentax in the house. The only way they could thrill me more is to make an inexpensive mirror-less cam with an optional VF that doesn't make me barf to look at it. I like my little Oly but I'd have maybe bought a mirror-less interchangeable lens camera from Pentax had I been able to find an older one for the same price used that didn't totally offend my sense of design aesthetics. But they could GIVE me a K-01 and I'd not accept it, and I really mean that. I chose my Oly over a Pentax for three reasons. A. I read some nice reviews on the Pen series and I liked what I was seeing in people's pics using them. B. I could finally have a used M43 body for less than $125. C. It looked a whole lot nicer to me than the K-01 did.

For me to go against my favorite brand and buy an Oly cam was no lightweight decision. I've been a total Pentax geek since I first held a Pentax SP. I do have other film SLR's but I prefer the Pentax and shoot almost exclusively with a pair of SPII's and a pair of KX's. (Yashica is the only other film brand I can honestly say I am fond of.) When it comes to digital bodies I never really thought I'd buy anything else. But I was so turned off by the design of the K-01 I just didn't want one. Unless every Pentax camera on the planet suddenly vanished I would not stop using them even if it meant buying used for the rest of my life. Would I add another non-Pentax camera if work absolutely required it? Probably, yes, a Nikon, but I'd not put down my Pentax DSLR's to do it. No way. Likely it would be Nikon too as I tend to like their cams a lot better than Canon. But I wouldn't go there unless I had to. I like my Pentax gear way too much to totally swap it out, ever.
05-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #60
Veteran Member

I didn't want to switch, but refusal to service a pro lens by pentax usa drove me to another brand. I went with canon because they had the best telephoto lenses and great service too. My only problem now is really wanting the new 400mm f2.8 and can't really justify it when my car is 25 years old.